Idea for Walleye Next Fall

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
This just occurred to me:

th

th

- - - Updated - - -

I like the look of these pork crawlers too. I'm a bass guy so my first rig would be a weightless nose hook and tip low twitch/pause retrieve. If you're not familiar with fishing pork, it's tough as a leather belt and fish actually try to eat it after the strike. The above frogs USED to have a special slot in the nose. The hook ran through it easily then to remove you twisted the bait to the side and the hook would just about fall out. You had to use scissors or a knife if you didn't know this "trick".

Anyways:
th

- - - Updated - - -

Feel free to post something about pig sex, a rock song about porking or a fine lute solo.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a bad idea there svn. A pork twister tail or minnow would work just fine in the Sheyenne. Might have to investigate the possibilities if the pork is tougher than traditional plastic. Bullheads and pike just plain TRASH plastics.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a bad idea there svn. A pork twister tail or minnow would work just fine in the Sheyenne. Might have to investigate the possibilities if the pork is tougher than traditional plastic. Bullheads and pike just plain TRASH plastics.

If you've never used it, you'll be amazed with it's durability and life like feel. I know the below is about bass but the purpose is to show the action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-USRjkn_5U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDwwDvJEHAc

- - - Updated - - -

If I were fishing the frog for walleye I believe I'd just go with a plain football head and slide on the bottom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mM_ezGaL9E

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think those frogs should work pretty good for you guys that fish over there in the Red and Sheyenne, at least from hearing you guys talk about success on frogs in the fall. I have never been able to get frogs to work all that great over here for eyes and saugers. A fish every now and then but not like minnows. Maybe the stocked fish over here are just programmed differently.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think those frogs should work pretty good for you guys that fish over there in the Red and Sheyenne, at least from hearing you guys talk about success on frogs in the fall. I have never been able to get frogs to work all that great over here for eyes and saugers. A fish every now and then but not like minnows. Maybe the stocked fish over here are just programmed differently.

The frog bite is a definite timing thing.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
KD,

I forgot to mention: I CANNOT guarantee durability against pike.

I'm an exclusive braid guy and still vividly remember my first ice experience at Darling. I lost a lot of money in jigging Raps. I now un-apologetically make/use my own titanium leaders; being as unobtrusive (sorry) as possible. It's mainly about preserving your spool; a bbl swivel (not snap) a leader then wire. Monitor the condition of the swivel and snip the leader as necessary--back.

I guess I could use mono or flouro but there's always enough excess braid from a "reel fill" to make leads...: Clear back to 1995 (diminishing before I started using bbl swivels--I used to splice with SuperGlue and Trilenes then switched to Palomars looping the whole gd reel through the knot. And SuperGlue::) This still may be the "best") .

Modify rig and presentation as necessary: The main objective is preserving your spool like a fly rod. This braid stuff is beyond amazing. It does not "die", stretch or have "memory". It can be re-colored with a Sharpie. Of course my blathering could be used with mono but the strength factor is fucked by Al Gore elements.

A MAJOR weakness with my Terminator homemade leaders is they work harden and break apart (snap) somewhere on the cast. I've been lucky to retrieve ALL spinnerbaits around the boy. This is something to consider and in the future; I'd just go with braided wire, clippers and modification. Preserve your spool and adjust as necessary. The key is the swivel, knot confidence and lead. Braid and Palomar should be zero issue.
th

th

th

th

th

th

th

Main thing:

th

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Three Palomars to make this work for everyone in harmony. You can have clips at both ends of the lead. The main deal is confidence in strength. (swivel in lieu of SPOOL) This is where the drag comes in play...I don't know if "lead" is the correct term. Save your spool on the winter vacation trip. You're smart enough to have the jack to be away. The lead won't ever be longer than your rod. Think about it...I did and it's like Rubic's Cube. Just not as annoying. Things become easier to cast as the the lead shrinks. Tie on a fresh clip and press... It's a deal between the swivel and lure. There becomes a bit of optimization between the gear and cast. Like a 6.5/.284.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing survives pike attacks for long. However, if pork can keep up with the white bass, bullheads, and smallmouth grabbing and trying to rip off the tails, I might just have a new favorite for jigging.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing survives pike attacks for long. However, if pork can keep up with the white bass, bullheads, and smallmouth grabbing and trying to rip off the tails, I might just have a new favorite for jigging.

Within reason it can. I've been drinking Evan Williams. There was a sale.

- - - Updated - - -

I just saw what time it is. WTF? How did this happen?

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
within reason it can. I've been drinking Evan Williams. There was a sale.

- - - Updated - - -

I just saw what time it is. WTF? How did this happen?[/QUOTE]

Just a guess, but I'd go with this................

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow, that was a bit rough this morning...anyways KD, the durability factor isn't even on the same scale. You'll be pleased. Think I'll get rid of the pig sex now.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75