Reel maintenance

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious as to if you ever and how often add oil to your reels, both baitcaster and spinning. Also, how often do you take apart your reels and actually clean them. Does adding oil attract dust and dirt into moving parts?

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reel maintenance is crucial, but baitcasters have so many parts I usually send mine in to get cleaned every couple years. Your owners manual should show you all the spots to oil, and you're right, you don't want too much oil or things can get gunked up. Just a drop of oil will do.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have some Quantum reels that need some new bushings, the bushings I need are discontinued. Does anyone know anyone who may have reel parts for sale?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rinse under sink, RemOil, maybe/sometimes a field stripping and dab of Hoppe's grease. Use the RemOil as both cleaner and lubricant.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back to Shimano when things don't feel right. T'was a sad day when they no longer worked on 1st gen Mg Stradics. ��

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't bought a new reel for myself in many years. I'm not saying I'm CORRECT. I know of this "feeling" and have brought it back with my expert technique. Garcias, Quantams and my one precious '96 Bantam Curado.

TheWalleye

Honored Member
I try to do mine at least every other year. Every year if I manage to get time, problem is i acquire more rods/reels every year and it gets harder to keep them all maintained! :) I got some from my wifes grandfather last year that are in dire need of a good scrubbing and they'll make great kids rods.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have an idea what do with my pile without instant anti-reverse? They were all sort of high end at the time. They surely are useful for parts?...I can't even imagine the days of mono and handle back-slap. No effing way.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56