Ice Augers

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
Considering buying a propane auger. Anybody using one? would you buy propane again? Ive heard good things but would like to hear everybodys 2 cents

Tritonman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have to know what your intended use is. I had a jiffy and sold it do to weight. It was nice for not fogging up the ice house. Tough to not go with an ion if your not drilling fifty holes a day with the reverse feature

Journey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also used a jiffy propane one season. Nice to use in wheel house, no fumes as mentioned and would recut holes. Disliked it because of weight and would leak propane when it was cold. Very disappointed on Lake Winnipeg with it. Brutal conditions we had to used partners 30 year old jiffy because my new one wouldn't start.

Second season on Strikemaster Honda 4 cycle. Love it

ND_ice_angler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just picked up an 8" Eskimo HC40 propane auger this year because I was tired of the fumes in my ice castle. Love it!!! The only time it takes more than one or two pulls to start is when you first screw the tank on (generally needs a few pulls until the propane hits the engine). Cuts like a champ and doesn't bog down- durable little unit too! Considered an Ion but didn't want to fork out the extra cash. Would never go back to gas again.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
A used model 30 has never failed me. If I were to get a new one it would be the ion hands down. The model 30 will be the back up when the battery runs out. Most of the time my spots pan out and I only have to drill a few holes.....

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never had the propane one but came close to buying a propane Jiffy but didn't trust the plastic gear case. Went with the Ion and I wont go back to a 2 stroke. Brother in law has the 4 stroke Honda and that's been a good one so far.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have only owned one auger, a model 30 jiffy that must be around the 25 year old range.
a few buddies have bought the propane jiffy, they seem alright. One friend busted the plastic throttle grip on the first outing with it. Plastic seems like a terrible idea on the ice.
Mine is heavy, sorta ugly, and wobbly where it connects from the power head to the auger, just like its owner. But starts 1-2 pulls and runs like a champ.

Last edited:

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a Jiffy that was probably 25 years old before I got the Ion. Never a problem with it but I just wanted something lighter and to get away from the fumes in the permanent house. Nothing wrong with the older Jiffeys!! But I don't think plastic is the smartest thing going on the new ones out in the -10 weather.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy got a Jiffy propane auger as a present a few years ago. He's not a run-and-gunner, and fishes out of a hub house. He loves it! Never heard any issue with it. And when it's brutally cold, he keeps a spare pound tank in his coat to keep it warm.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Honda has little if any odor - so you can use it indoors without a second thought. Thumbs Up Three years of bliss for me. Started first pull this year. Crazy. Only 23 lbs too.

- - - Updated - - -

When it's brutally cold, he keeps a spare pound tank in his coat to keep it warm.

Good grief does that sound like a drag.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy you should really have doug kluge customize a flighting for your honda. You wont need any tools to take the drill off the powerhead and have much better blades and it will be even lighter. Just imagine being able to redrill holes and sharpen the blades yourself and to be able to overlap holes. #powerhead

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a Jiffy Propane. It always started but had valve issues and never seemed to "be right".

I also have an Ion. I love it; but more than about 20 inches of ice or so and it no longer shines. I kept the Ion for early and late ice and bought a Nils with a Tanaka powerhead. For a 2 stroke the fumes are minimal, is super light, always starts, and cuts like a champ. Klug flighting will be purchased next fall for the Tanaka head.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy you should really have doug kluge customize a flighting for your honda. You wont need any tools to take the drill off the powerhead and have much better blades and it will be even lighter. Just imagine being able to redrill holes and sharpen the blades yourself and to be able to overlap holes. #powerhead

I would like to know more about this.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member

I picked up a k drill this year and a Honda 4 stroke. That thing cuts amazing and like said, you can overlap holes all day if you want. If it's good clean ice, you can still run the laser blades. The Hondas start on the first pull....way better than the Jiffy. It's quieter and there are very little fume smell left when done.

I've got a Jiffy 4 stroke 4G 9" for sale if anyone is looking.

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to know more about this.

The Honda turns the regular 8" k drill with ease. That's all you need.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I got my ice gator last week unfortunately I am still waiting for the bit. Greg informed me his flighting for his bit has not come in yet but would send a 8" for no charge. So that was shipped out today.

IMG_20151228_120437.jpg

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
ice gator still backed up on orders?

Yeah ordered it in September been waiting a long time but with the late ice it was no big. I am going to do a real test on the drive and battery come DLVFD , I want to see how well it will stand up to drilling lots of hole. I told Greg my idea and he said he would guarantee that it will stand up to that kind of challenges.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah ordered it in September been waiting a long time but with the late ice it was no big. I am going to do a real test on the drive and battery come DLVFD , I want to see how well it will stand up to drilling lots of hole. I told Greg my idea and he said he would guarantee that it will stand up to that kind of challenges.

A good friend of mine has one. I can't attest to the battery life being i've only drilled a handful of holes with it but my god does it cut a hole in no time. This was feb/march when we had a good amount of ice last year.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75