Humminbird Ice Helix 5 Sonar GPS Combo

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
images.jpg

Anyone using one of these? Any input on comparison to the vexilar or marcum units?

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am running one. I am a big fan of it for 2d and GPS on ice.

I ran it side by side with an FLx 28 yesterday. Both are very nice. Vex gives you a cleaner picture when you are on a lot of fish but other than that I like the versatility of the Bird.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The age old graph vs vex.... I like my elite 5/for contours and GPS on Oahe here. I am a graph guy. Springer is to. Enslow will sing the praises of the vex I can about go down the list of who is going to say what. I would say either unit is going to help catch fish and both work it boils down to preference as much as anything

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard nothing but great things on that Ice 5 so far!

Beckler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have one and sure beets paying 450 well worth it my only dislike is with the lcd battery only last like 20hrs

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
After a lot of thought I bought one prior to this year as well. Nice for contours etc. Flasher mode doesn't make me happy at all. My vex is still #1. This is now a backup. Target separation and lag between rod tip jigging versus screen is too much for me to handle. I keep wanting a graph to do both maps and be my go to flasher, but a vex completely spoils ya with how quick it is.

Good unit, I will be throwing it in my boat this summer.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vex = overpriced. The market on electronics is dropping in price and the technology is growing. Yet Vex keeps charging more for 40 year old technology. Bend over Vex boys. Never see em on boats

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fisherman... take it off of flasher mode! Having a graph and using it in flasher mode is just plain silly.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vex = overpriced. The market on electronics is dropping in price and the technology is growing. Yet Vex keeps charging more for 40 year old technology. Bend over Vex boys. Never see em on boats

The reason Vex keeps their value is becuase Vex stands by their products, best costumer service.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need a new unit for my boat and am also probably going to get an ATV for ice fishing next year. There seem to be so many models of even this hummingbird Helix 5. I have an fl-18 that just wont die so i don't necessarily need the unit for an ice fishing graph. I would be using it more as my GPS/maps mounted on an ATV in the winter, and then as my main unit on my smaller river boat. Am I better off buying the down imaging/GPS version, and then just pulling it off the boat and mounting on ATV in the winter for GPS/Maps? Can any of these helix 5's be converted to an ice-ducer if i decide later, or do i need to buy the ice version and give up the down imaging? basically what model would be the best of both worlds?

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fisherman... take it off of flasher mode! Having a graph and using it in flasher mode is just plain silly.

Yeah been trying that. Believe me I want this graph to be my go to, but even on graph mode the lag is too much. It's no different than on flasher. Plus target separation is between 1 and 2 inches versus less than an inch for the vex. I'm basically OCD though and little things like that bother me to the point where I can't stand them. I'm the guy that will own every ice auger on the market just to decide which one is the best. (I actually think I have the best set up made right now btw).

Ive been on YouTube and a dozen pro's sites trying to find the best setting to make the graph look how I want it and for it to respond quick enough, but it doesn't exist.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah been trying that. Believe me I want this graph to be my go to, but even on graph mode the lag is too much. It's no different than on flasher. Plus target separation is between 1 and 2 inches versus less than an inch for the vex. I'm basically OCD though and little things like that bother me to the point where I can't stand them. I'm the guy that will own every ice auger on the market just to decide which one is the best. (I actually think I have the best set up made right now btw).

Ive been on YouTube and a dozen pro's sites trying to find the best setting to make the graph look how I want it and for it to respond quick enough, but it doesn't exist.

- - - Updated - - -

That's like saying we don't use ice rods in the boat. Completely different application in a boat, even if your vertical jigging. I boat always moves even if anchored so you get line sag and it's difficult to see the target with a narrow beam and a wide beam sees rocks and everything putting a blind spot on the bottom of the water column. Apples to oranges.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's that little picture of the fish on the screen?

Had to cover the coordinates to my honey hole with something.

- - - Updated - - -

I need a new unit for my boat and am also probably going to get an ATV for ice fishing next year. There seem to be so many models of even this hummingbird Helix 5. I have an fl-18 that just wont die so i don't necessarily need the unit for an ice fishing graph. I would be using it more as my GPS/maps mounted on an ATV in the winter, and then as my main unit on my smaller river boat. Am I better off buying the down imaging/GPS version, and then just pulling it off the boat and mounting on ATV in the winter for GPS/Maps? Can any of these helix 5's be converted to an ice-ducer if i decide later, or do i need to buy the ice version and give up the down imaging? basically what model would be the best of both worlds?

I bought mine before the ice unit existed and converted it all over. It was fine. Just had to make a few screen setting changes as the ice ducer doesn't work with di or si. It costs about $200 to convert one over to ice.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member

I use an fl-18 on both of my boats. It tells me the depth and if there is a fish below the boat.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
fisherman... what auger set up do you have?

Honda with 8" k drill. I also have the 10" laser it came with, but extensions are interchangeable between the two flighting. It works awesome! I can now overlap holes to cut large areas out. Plus the auger starts on the first pull in negative temps.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67