Quick strike Rig

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone used these double treble hook quick strike rigs while ice fishing for pike? Pro's con's?

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great if you plan on releasing large northern. If not, just let them have the bait for a while until they swallow it.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes I have used the HT type with some success on the red. They work great also for trolling with live suckers smelt or chubs. When using a tip up I have found some success with just one treble through the top of a fat head or use a whistling jig with a stinger hooking suckers through the heads. Yes they work for big bait but I have not found much use with them in my set ups.
19644_256_256.jpg

IMG_0935-1_zps20cb5fa0.jpg

monster 21 010.jpg

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes. Much better hook up percentage on pikes on tip ups than single trebles when using dogs, smelt and herring

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is about all I use under tip ups. I have had great success with them over the years. I don't like the ones with the line in a V over the top. I am convinced the fish hit it and spit it because they feel the leader

Muzzytipped

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is about all I use under tip ups. I have had great success with them over the years. I don't like the ones with the line in a V over the top. I am convinced the fish hit it and spit it because they feel the leader

Can you find a pic maybe?
Thanks

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like them when using smelt when using a hot dog I like a single treble pushed up in the middle so it lays level then connect to a swivel.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought some leader material and
Make them on my own. One larger central treble to support the smelt and two kickers to the front and back of the bait

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i built hundreds of these back in the day...

i bought the plastic coated leader wire in bout 30# test? and the steel tube shaped crimp pieces, and the crimping tool... i would put 1 #10 or 12 treble in the loop crimped on the bottom end, leave 1 loose to slide in the middle, and a loop crimped at the top to hook the snap swivel to...

we always used smelt back then, and would hook the bottom treble in the gill plate of the smelt and the other bout 1" from the tail, trying to get them through the spine and having them hang vertical... i read in some fishing book back in the day that vertical or horizontal made no difference, and after hundreds of pike i agree 100%... the tiny hooks also make a big difference i believe... a fish can take it without feeling a big hook they might learn the feel of...

using these under tipups, when a flag goes up, get the tipup out of the water and hands on the line, and when the fish starts to take line again, just start pulling firmly without a normal hook set... 95% of the time they will be hooked in the back corner of the mouth...

tipping the bottom treble with a minnow also sets you up for walleyes... we would take the smallest fatheads and hook them in the tail of the bottom hook... caught LOTS of eyes that way also... on the days the eyes want jigs pounded into the mud, set up a couple quick strikes like i explained with an egg weight b4 the snap swivel, and let the egg weight and quick strike lay right on the bottom...

one last thing... if you are targeting big pike, be sure to have a long gaff with you because a 40"+ pike, hooked in the corner of the mouth, will be a bitch to get started up the hole... we got some 1/4" steel rod, bent into a large u, and sharpened so we could put it down the hole and gaff the big uns in the front of the mouth under the edge of the ice and pull it back and out...

sorry so long... good luck...

yup, like above (slow typer)...

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Raider, pics?

i don't have any pics as i quit pikin many years ago, but they looked just like the pic captain has above with much smaller hooks and no plastic thingy on the top hook... i made them anywhere from 8" long for very shallow water to 18" and hooked them directly to a snap swivel on my heavy main braided line... also put split shots on them at the top...

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
i love the quick strikes on tipups, they work great. The ones I bought last winter from the store get mangled pretty easily though

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always just stick a treble through the bottom of the smelt, coming out the top and then hook it to a leader. Just use a treble thats large enough so 2 of the hooks are outside the sides of the smelt.

gatorbaiter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a set up identical to CaptainBrads and have caught loads of pike. You can make them yourself for much cheaper. One thing that helps a lot is to keep your hooks very sharp, something that is very easy to not have the time to do. On a good day you should hook almost every fish that hits the flag, but three fourths landing rate is more average for me. You can learn a lot on how they hit by watching down the hole in clear water. Sometimes they come through in Hulk mode and just smash the bait, you hook almost all of those. Others come through like its 2:00 on Thanksgiving afternoon, Hmm should I have another bite of herring? well maybe just a nibble, (trips flag) Naw, not really hungry, Guess I'll just leave it (you race to the flag but nothings there).

a quickstrike.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69