Dull blades, and tip

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sunday I had to lay on my auger to bust throw 8 inches of ice. I had sharp blades or so it seemed the day before. How often do you guys get your blades sharpened? Also the pointy tip, I have sharpened that before, but does it really matter if that is razor sharp or not.

I don't remember hitting any dirty ice, not sure why it would have dulled over night like it did.

I keep a spare in the sled incase it happens far from home.

Really pisses a guy off when you are forcing your drill through the ice then break through and about drown yourself with the auger nuts deep pumping water into your face..haha

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jiffy Chipper blades? From my experience you do have to have the point razor sharp as well or it will hold up the cutting action

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
From my experience it is much better to replace dull blades than to sharpen them.

I had this same issue last weekend. My blades were sharpened after last season. Took me 2-3 minutes to cute through 6 inches of ice. When blades get sharpened they have a tendency to not make contact with the ice.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually just put new blades on every 2 years. My auger wouldn't cut very good yesterday but u had ice build up at the tip of it.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ice build up on the tip is a bitch. Are usually squirt my chipper blades down with a little Pam.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did leave all my gear outside of the garage with the trailer and pickup parked outside for the night. Might have just been some ice build up, but it cut hard for every hole, not just the first one.

I have the blades at Steffan saw and bike today, so well see. I think I will sharpen the point a bit tonight too.

Good old model 30 starts better now than when new. Seems odd that decades later they don't build them as good? I saw some guy with a shiny new red one(not sure on brand) pulling his cord must have been 20 times before his started.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those of us that fish dirty ice, rivers and Sak, know this all too well. If replacement was the only option then I'd go broke trying to fish. I haven't found a great remedy yet but once I need to really start pushing I will take a file or even a dremmel to them. It helps but I'm sure someone who knows exactly what they are doing would do better. That will get me through the year at least. I replaced the whole drill this year(strikemaster 8 chipper) and it cuts like a dream. That won't last more than a handful of trips out though I'm sure. My Jiffy Stealth 10 was amazing for about 6-7 trips out and it doesn't cut worth a crap. All it takes is a little sand or in the case Of the jiffy I found a thin copper wire that I drilled into(thanks to whoever left that on the ice) and it was all over. Not sure exactly what to do to help get that thing cutting right again but I might as well try something, worst that can happen is I have to replace it, not like it's worth a darn now.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 2 blades for my 23 year old Jiffy Legend, if one starts to not cut so well, I put the other newly sharpened one on, and take the dull one to Val's Cyclery here in Minot to get sharpened. Then it goes into my ice fishing bag in case I need to replace the dull one on the ice. I also carry a little file in my bag to sharpen the point.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
for my Jiffy I sharpen them myself ( Wade at dak tackle showed me how ) and I file the tip, last me the year

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
For chipper blades mark the blade and chisel point cutting edges with a sharpie. If super dull start with a file, if only slightly dull start with a medium grit stone. Use light strokes and maintain the bevel angle. I think this is the most important part. Continue until sharpie marks are gone and you have a small burr on the backside of the bevel. Run stone across burr 1 or 2 strokes to remove it and go fishing. I carry a 2 stage stone in my tackle bag when I use the chipper and never have issues with a slow cutting auger. But 80% of the time I use my 10" lazer and laugh at the chipper crowd. But the lazer is for clean ice only

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did a self sharpen on my blades a couple years back, gave it the wrong angle, it skated across the surface like a bowling ball down a freshly waxed lane. Wouldn't grab at all. I find it well worth the 4 bucks to have the pro do it.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dropped it off yesterday around 1pm, and its ready to go now.

I am thinking of shooting some cocks this weekend instead now, last weekend, and the boy has a new 870 20g to try out.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 143
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 77