Braid to mono knot

Jerkbait

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am looking for a strong braid to mono knot. I have used the double uni and the mono keeps breaking at the knot. Any suggestions. That can be a very expensive break when casting cranks. Thanks

Feildhunter701

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never had a problem with double uni knot. Put alittle more spit on it. Casting cranks I just tie directly to the braid. Never had a issue.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a modified Albright knot. I've never had a problem with the knot breaking. Download the knot wars app and explore other ones as well. If you want to try the modified Albright, loop the fluoro or mono and wrap with the braid.

Journey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would second the Albright knot. Used it quite a bit last summer with good luck

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you cant get a couple of the more complicated knots to take, then I would go buy a package of SPRO barrel swivels in a small size and just tie a polymer knot to each side (fireline knot). Just make sure that your leader is short enough that you don't reel the swivel into the eyelets when you store to rod.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the Albright, but just for jigs and bait, I've never bothered with cranks.

Jerkbait

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use jerkbaits a lot. With the aggressive working of the bait, i tend to rip a lot of hooks out on the hookset with straight braid. The problem got a lot better when I added a 6 ft leader of mono but the knots started breaking. Thanks.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never had complete confidence in line to line knots. I use a mini barrel swivel on the braid with a 2 - 3 foot floro leader when I go muddin'. It may not be the best way of going, but it hasn't let me down yet on any of the big fish I've tussled with, so I'll stick with it.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you cant get a couple of the more complicated knots to take, then I would go buy a package of SPRO barrel swivels in a small size and just tie a polymer knot to each side (fireline knot). Just make sure that your leader is short enough that you don't reel the swivel into the eyelets when you store to rod.

This has worked for me as well but I can see where it might not be best option for jerkbaits. Albright and uni to uni with a good amount of spit on the lines.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a terrible feeling come over me when I hear that swivel hit the tip top. Enough that I don't use them anymore.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a small enough swivel that I can reel it through the tip. I sure don't make it a habit mind you, but I haven't chipped or broken a tip guide yet. If I do, I'll probably replace it with a titanium tip and press on. Current and the egg beater retrieve of an open faced reel seem to have a special way of twisting the crap out of the line and the swivel helps relieve that. 1/8th oz jigs and line twist is a very frustrating combo when trying to cast. In fact, line twist is just about the most frustrating part of fishing for me. It leads to so many fun and time consuming activities like "Rats Nest Remedy 101" and "Line Behind the Spool Sports 102". Not to mention the "Flying Ball of Braid" that tightens down a bit more as it goes through EACH LINE GUIDE and takes a needle, a microscope, and a better set of eyes than I have to figure out. GOD I LOVE THAT ONE!!! Crap, now I need a DRINK. Happy New Year!!!!!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd honestly deal with line twist before hearing that sound again. Judging by how many fish you have put in the bucket, I should probably use a swivel, but I'm mostly German and I'm going to be stubborn.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am mostly American, and that means I do things multiple times the same way thinking the results might change. Then I finally give up in a fit of rage and start my next adventure..haha
I use the little barrel swivels on my ice rods when jigging them huge live targets or some other big jigging apparatus. In the summer I tie the jigs directly to the PP, and the few times a crank they are tied direct.
If I pull bottom bouncers or lindy's I use a snap swivel, to change things expediently if needed.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use jerkbaits a lot. With the aggressive working of the bait, i tend to rip a lot of hooks out on the hookset with straight braid. The problem got a lot better when I added a 6 ft leader of mono but the knots started breaking. Thanks.

Hmm, with how often I fish crankbaits, the above might be the reason that I haven't caught twice as many fish as I have. (mostly, it was the larger fish that I tore off - I just know it).

I too thought, when I started reading this thread, "Why not just tie the braid to the snap-clip?". Food for thought here..

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a small enough swivel that I can reel it through the tip. I sure don't make it a habit mind you, but I haven't chipped or broken a tip guide yet. If I do, I'll probably replace it with a titanium tip and press on. Current and the egg beater retrieve of an open faced reel seem to have a special way of twisting the crap out of the line and the swivel helps relieve that. 1/8th oz jigs and line twist is a very frustrating combo when trying to cast. In fact, line twist is just about the most frustrating part of fishing for me. It leads to so many fun and time consuming activities like "Rats Nest Remedy 101" and "Line Behind the Spool Sports 102". Not to mention the "Flying Ball of Braid" that tightens down a bit more as it goes through EACH LINE GUIDE and takes a needle, a microscope, and a better set of eyes than I have to figure out. GOD I LOVE THAT ONE!!! Crap, now I need a DRINK. Happy New Year!!!!!

I love when casting in the dark, in cold weather, when I feel that "Gods-Eye"/Dreamcatcher leave my reel. In my best bid for expedience, I figure that "it'll just pull itself out".

Flash forward 10 minutes and I'm sitting on the ground, with my waders off, doing macramé with my toes, while whistling the "Come and listen to a story 'bout a man named Jed..." song.

Love it. I just love it.

ElDuderino

Founding Member
Founding Member
Uni to Uni knot works well if the line is of similar size.

Here is a link if you want to learn:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nighttime sure does take the enjoyment factor up a notch. Every time I get a nest of fun I plan on bringing 2 or even 3 extra spools of line next time so I can just change the offending spool out with a new one, retie, and keep fishing. Then my brain kicks in and promptly forgets to do that until I'm sitting on the bank again, in the dark, with my new best friend ball o' braid. Dumb just doesn't quite say it.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, I just tie directly onto my cranks as well. Once in a while I get the WTF happened here moment when the kids hand me a reel all fubar'd. That's when I whip out the leatherman and just start unspooling line until I get to where we are again using non-kiddefied fishing line. Yes, I know it costs more to completely fill a spool with PP or other braid, but when push comes to shove the cost of line is one of my cheapest investments while angling. A 1500 yd spool of PP really helps in this example for completely filling the reels to start with.

In the rare times that I do need (want) to use a long mono leader I also use a barrel swivel for tying things together. I must use really cheap but durable guides as I have never damaged one reeling the barrel into it. Heck of a lot more likely that they get bent from being jammed into the rod lockers.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run a small swivel between the 2. Not a fan of braid to mono knots. I like about a 2 foot leader and the swivel almost never makes it to the rod.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66