Dog sneezing\snorting

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here about 4 or 5 days ago, Gunnar started to, at times sneezing, and at times snorting. When he lays down he is fine (no sneezing, no snorting), but when he stands up he sneezes , and snorts something terrible. Tried getting him into the vet today but they are closed until Monday. He hasn't been nowhere but at home and in the yard for 2 weeks, and we haven't given him anything different then we have before. Its like he has something stuck in his nose. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong? Thanks! Do dogs get colds?

Long Range Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's called a reverse sneeze , my lab and wife's Yorker do it all the time! Your suppose to try to calm them down when it's happening

jer79

Founding Member
Founding Member
mine will every once in a while snort and almost wheeze. I always assume she has some hair stuck in her nose... its brutal to watch for the first 30 seconds, looks like shes gonna puke. then she comes out of it and seems fine two minutes later. like the other guy said, keep the nose candy some where out of its reach... wish I had a good answer for you.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a mini poodle that does this on a daily basis for years now but not too bad though, seems to do it when he gets excited about something.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Daughter brought over her boyfriend's Shiba Inu on Christmas eve and that dog carried on with the sneezing and wheezing for about the first 4-5 minutes it was in the house. And then as fast as it came on he was done with it. Nerves??

Crankn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our sons beagle does the reverse sneezing quite often.I googled it and there are a few YouTube videos showing it and a vet or two discussing it. At least you would be able to see if that is what your dog is doing.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My pug Zeus does that occasionally and all I do is pet him and calm him down and he stops. Sounds like he's trying to suck his face into his chest when he does it though.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
See if you can maybe shine a flashlight up his nose and see if theres any visible cattail slivers stuck in nasal passage. I remember a thread on here or fb with pics of them the vet removed and will never forget it, talk about painful looking and eerily annoying pain.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
That would be Royce the Magic poodle!
2012-12-01 12.20.19.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

It was a sharp/brittle/stiff piece of grass or sweet clover stem. Must have been hell. None this year knock on wood!

- - - Updated - - -

Happened out hunting BTW.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe they're blinded by the light? Have these dogs been near carnivals?...Anyways I hope all goes well with the dogs.

Last edited:

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fox tail is some nasty stuff also. Could he of gotten into that a couple weeks ago. I won't even hunt my dog in the stuff we will go around it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 121
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 71