New Ranger heated cab or tracks

Brandon

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up a 16 Ranger 900 last week and need help deciding on accessories. Polaris makes nice stuff for the rangers but they know what they want for them! So general use will be ice fishing in the Dakotas. Leftover funds will allow for either heated cab, light bar, and maybe a winch. Or tracks. So looking for any input to help with decision. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Also I was thinking if I don't get the tracks I would chain up the rear tires.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I'd go heated cab. That is such a nice setup for poking around and searching out fish.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have one but from conversations with several people that do have them if you have tracks you need a cab or you will be covered in snow. So from that I would go with the cab now and add tracks when the funds allow. Some with personal experience may override my opinion though. Either way congrats on the new ride.

Another note. I have a friend that has a heated cab and tracks. They cut a hole in the passenger side floor pan and installed a catch cover so he can fish right in the ranger. Works like a charm and if you decide later on you hate it a replacement floor pan is really cheap.

Brandon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the quick responses I am leaning towards cab first. Seems like we don't get enough snow to warrant dropping 5 grand in tracks that will sit on the shelf most of the year.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you buy a heated cab first it will snow like the dickens and you will need tracks. If you buy tracks first it wont snow all winter and then you will be able to drive the pickup on. Haha so toss a coin in the air to determine the route to go first.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cab and heater for sure. I also recommend the seal kit very cheap and worth it for cold and dust mostly dust tho.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
"327" is a fine NDA secret code name.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
tell your self, bride, or banker that they are only sold together in a package now... whatever you decide to leave off will be cheaper now than they will next year or the year after...

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
buy both at the same time. I did. I wouldn't own a ranger without a hard cab and heater. Its great for ice fishing, snaring, or just checking trail cams with the heat on. Tracks are great for going anywhere in the snow. They do reduce your turning radius quite a bit and are a little rough on hard roads but are friggin awesome in snow. I haven't put mine on yet this winter and won't till the snow gets deeper as I can still go just about anywhere yet with wheels.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jealous of your new toy, congrats !

i wanted to buy one but wasted all my money putting up a shed for my boat.

i have amazed myself what my 4wheeler gets through with Diamond chains on the rear tires and regular Vbar chains in the front. When I get my ranger Cab and heater are first, chains second. Then lights. As much as I use my winch on my wheeler I would probably buy a cheap harbor freight winch. ( once in 5 years )

post up a pic of the bad boy, don't be shy.

Tracks have thier place but I'm gonna try to find a used set to save some coin.

Last edited:

Crankn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd go cab and heater first wipers are a must with the heater. Get a winch if you get stuck with wheels you can get your self out most of the time. I have tracks and the weather out smarts me most every time like Enslow said. Like Huffrangger said look for used tracks. Enjoy the new toy.:;:howdy

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
how do these things start in really cold temps? A couple years ago up on lake winnipeg the temps in the morning was -35° F. we struggled to get our snowmobiles started. Would one of these new 900's start? what about the older 800's? My inlaws have about a 2010 800 that I might try to buy someday but it is put away for the winter so I have no idea how reliable it is in cold temps.

ndskeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not usually on the ice or outside when it's blowing that hard or that cold so I can't give you a firm answer. You see a lot of the guys on Winnipeg and other cold climates running tracked rangers so I'd assume the starting must be fairly reliable. Hopefully someone with more experience than me will chime in on this.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I bought mine a year ago they couldn't get the cab in right away and I planned on taking it to Winnipeg. The weather was pretty fair when we went so I still took it. I temporarily put a half windshield on it. With the tracks throwing stuff up and the added windchill it wasn't the most enjoyable rides across the ice.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Troy at bagely motor sports was very easy to deal with. Also he gave me a great deal on the accessories. I bought a 16 from him cheaper than a 15 at most places after my accessories were included to my quotes.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I keep mine in my garage at 60* during the winter, but by the time I get to the lake it is at whatever temp that happens to be that day.
I have never had it struggle starting, even when we stay over night, and the next morning its 25 below.

I only run non ethanol gas in mine

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
how do these things start in really cold temps? A couple years ago up on lake winnipeg the temps in the morning was -35° F. we struggled to get our snowmobiles started. Would one of these new 900's start? what about the older 800's? My inlaws have about a 2010 800 that I might try to buy someday but it is put away for the winter so I have no idea how reliable it is in cold temps.

They start very well. Especially the EFI models. My 800 has seen some doozy -30 or more mornings and popped off every time.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80