Jiffy Pro 4 propane auger, do you like yours?

Founding Member
Founding Member
After having an old Jiffy legend 30 that never let me down I decided ";:;badidea "to get a new auger two weeks ago. I ended up buying the bigger Jiffy Pro 4 on sale at Scheels.

Well I've been out about 5 times now and to tell you the truth I'm pretty disappointed in the thing.
First off if you push down on it at all while its cutting it will stall out, not die out but it won't turn and cut.
It does this if you put very little effort into it. I bought the 9" model by the way with the fancy stx blades.

The second thing is that the gear box sounds like its got marbles in the damn thing when its cutting, like the gears are falling apart inside. Its not smooth sounding at all, darn rough really.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on your new augers and if there's a better option out there?

It does start easy I'll give it that. The clip on blade protector is a joke also. Its always falling off.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am currently using a z51 eskimo powerhead with a 10 inch kluge drill. The thickest ice i have tested it on is 11 inches. It starts and idles very well. It will idle while laying on its side and the auger doesnt spin on a guy while idling. If going with a 10 inch go the eskimo route. If going 8" or 8.5 inch go with a tanaka powerhead. I have tested them all and to me these are the fastest and best running gas setups i have used.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got the same auger, only in 10". I wouldn't have bought anything else. I haven't had a auger that cuts nicer than this one. I'm not putting my entire body weight on it to cut, but I don't have too. The only problem I had with it was the first couple times I used it, I ran the head all the way down to clear out the ice/slush in the hole and it wouldn't run worth a crap after that. "First off if you push down on it at all while its cutting it will stall out, not die out but it won't turn and cut." . Sounds like this is exactly what is happening to you. What happened was the water spalshed up into the air filter and froze so it was choking itself out. I Put the auger in the cab for 10-15min and it ran like a champ since after that. I picked up an auger extension so I wouldn't have to run the auger head down to the ice and that fixed the problem.

I also used it up at Lake Winnipeg, when it was -30. It fired up in 3 pulls and ran like a top! That's what impressed me the most.

f7_2003_97x

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mines the older model propane. not sure what one but it was the second year they had em. Has all kinds of power. push as hard as u want.

Founding Member
Founding Member
mmm I doubt it got water there and froze as I haven't had the motor down near the ice yet. Plus it comes home to a heated garage each night.
But if I don't just let it cut under its own wait it will stop dead in its tracks "stall" but still be running with no signs of torque what so ever. Does your guys gears sound smooth or all "rattly" while its cutting?

Last edited:

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
mmm I doubt it got water there and froze as I haven't had the motor down near the ice yet.
But if I don't just let it cut under its own wait it will stop dead in its tracks but still be running. Do your guys gears sound smooth or all "rattly" while its cutting?

Mine sounds smooth. Did you put the oil in it!! HA

Where did you buy it from? I got mine last year, so i'm not sure which version it is. My auger when it hooked up in Canada, just right before it punched thru to the water, you better be hanging on or you're going to go for a ride! It would eat as much ice as you wanted it too now that I think about it. With the blades that were on it, it didn't take much pressure though.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
i dont think i would take a free propane auger at this point with all the negative stuff ive heard and read.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought it at Scheels and yes I did put the oil in. Mine must have a problem because it doesn't even try to torque your arms around when the auger its self stalls. Its like the clutch is slipping bad.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like mine a lot....Only thing that I don't care for is that when you put it down after cutting a hole you need to have it be propane bottle side facing up, otherwise oil will leak out apparently.

otherwise it cuts great, doesn't emit much gas (super nice for setting up pop up shelters before you drill or for permanents) and will run on the first pull almost every time.

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been using one for 3 years now and have been happy with it for the most part. Mine has never made the noises you describe or had trouble cutting without excessive force. The 2 things I don't like about it are 1) blade protector comes off too easily like you mentioned. 2) I can't leave the propane bottle on it between trips or it will slowly leak out and be empty the next time I go. Bottom line is that if could go back 3 years and do it over, I would buy it again.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
after cutting a hole you need to have it be propane bottle side facing up, otherwise oil will leak out apparently.

7040115831_faa25a4865_o-620x350.jpg

ice head

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 9"Jiffy propane, runs really smooth. You can't lean into these like the old ones, I actually lift up on mine a little while drilling, the blades pull enough so you shouldn't lean into it at all.

RNinND

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm on my 2nd year with mine and will never go back to gas. Mine is a little sluggish until it's warm (usually takes one hole) and then it has a lot of power. Never heard any gear box noise as you describe. My blade protector works great and has never come off. As you noted they start easy.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like my Jiffy Propane. Its an 8 inch. This is the 3rd year and I must have got a good one. No major issues although it is heavy. Has been a drilling machine. Throttle linkage is a bit loose but I can live with that. She starts easily even when cold out just have to give it some throttle and it starts first time,

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have used one a bunch of times. It cuts good only down side I have seen with it is the high idle screw needs to be tweaked with everytime depending on the weather. After a little tinkering it runs great.

- - - Updated - - -

I am currently using a z51 eskimo powerhead with a 10 inch kluge drill. The thickest ice i have tested it on is 11 inches. It starts and idles very well. It will idle while laying on its side and the auger doesnt spin on a guy while idling. If going with a 10 inch go the eskimo route. If going 8" or 8.5 inch go with a tanaka powerhead. I have tested them all and to me these are the fastest and best running gas setups i have used.

What's the weight on your setup?

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Biggest piece of shit ive ever bought, i would be less dissapointed had i bought a package of brownies, ate them, and then found out it was a package of actual shit. The only time i liked mine was the first two times out, now if the moon is aligned with venus, the temp is between 28 and 36 degrees, the auger is held at an exact 93 degree angle, the propane bottle is preheated, the propane line has been replaced in the last 24 hours, its a coleman brand tank, i grow a 3rd arm to tap on the regulator, the barometric pressure isnt too low, only then this auger might drill enough holes together to make one hole big enough to allow the sucker that bought it to drop it to the bottom of the lake.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Biggest piece of shit ive ever bought, i would be less dissapointed had i bought a package of brownies, ate them, and then found out it was a package of actual shit. The only time i liked mine was the first two times out, now if the moon is aligned with venus, the temp is between 28 and 36 degrees, the auger is held at an exact 93 degree angle, the propane bottle is preheated, the propane line has been replaced in the last 24 hours, its a coleman brand tank, i grow a 3rd arm to tap on the regulator, the barometric pressure isnt too low, only then this auger might drill enough holes together to make one hole big enough to allow the sucker that bought it to drop it to the bottom of the lake.

haha. Awesome.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76