smoking venison jerky

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
got a smoker for christmas, it is a bradley digital electric smoker and im wondering what you guys do for your jerky? i do whole muscle and cut it about 1/4" thick and cure it for 24 hours in the fridge them time to cook, i have only used a dehydrator before this but im wondering how much heat do i put them on in the smoker how long and how much do you guys use for wood chips in there? is there a certain amount, any time i've done smoking its been backwoods smoking in a shack with plenty of "vent" holes so it was add smoke to your hearts desire.
Thanks!

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably only need to smoke for an hour, maybe two max. You can use about the same temp as the dehydrator if you want 160-180. Be sure to put the meat strips on the rack and let them sit there and dry a couple hours for the pellicle to form--this is key when using real smoke.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
so let them sit and dry before i start the smoker?

Yep. I skewer 6 or so pieces with kabob skewers and let them just hang there for awhile. Pro tip: DO NOT absent mindlessly let your dog outside after you do this if you actually want to eat your jerky.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Enjoy the new toy. I bought a masterbuilt this fall and have really enjoyed trying new things.

As far a jerky goes I set the temp the same as I do on my dehydrator (160°). Its really easy to over smoke. i agree with MM and just smoke for an hour.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
2 hours at 160F for me.

Then they get transferred to the dehydrator for drying. I get less hassle and more even selection of dryness that way. That's been easiest for me anyway.

Easier to check on a dehydrator humming away inside the garage/porch vs waltzing out to the smoker in the snow/wind and playing "shuffle the meat bits" every fifteen minutes. Unless a guy shuffles he ends up with too much variance in a smoker.

I need to install the fan mod. ;:;banghead

Last edited:

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I smoke for and hour to and hour and a half at 175 then transfer racks to the oven set at 200 with the door cracked a half inch. Takes about and hour or so to finish this way. If using oven u have to leave the door cracked or the moisture can not get out and they will just cook and look brown. Don't ask I forgot once.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00JQFTWYK/ezvid02-20

also does anyone run a smoker similar to this, you add the wood chips on the side manually? is there a certain amount of wood chips i should be putting in per hour or half hour or just try and keep the smoke pretty uniform through out, so just keep an eye on smoke in there?

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00JQFTWYK/ezvid02-20

also does anyone run a smoker similar to this, you add the wood chips on the side manually? is there a certain amount of wood chips i should be putting in per hour or half hour or just try and keep the smoke pretty uniform through out, so just keep an eye on smoke in there?

That is similar to the MES on how you add chips. I add about every 25-30 min. Just keep an eye on it and if there is no smoke coming out the vent then add another handful.

For longer duration smokes I bought the amaz-n-smoker (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ROPJ1M/?tag=nodakangler10-20) so i don't have to watch it.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
2 hours at 160F for me.

Then they get transferred to the dehydrator for drying. I get less hassle and more even selection of dryness that way. That's been easiest for me anyway.

Easier to check on a dehydrator humming away inside the garage/porch vs waltzing out to the smoker in the snow/wind and playing "shuffle the meat bits" every fifteen minutes. Unless a guy shuffles he ends up with too much variance in a smoker.

I need to install the fan mod. ;:;banghead

Penis?...

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a 6 rack Bradley, and smoke for 1 hour 40 minutes, rotating the racks not just up and down, but even spin them 180* to put the back pieces on the front side. I then just leave the heat to them with no smoke until the desired dryness is attained. Usually about another hour or 2.

Purchase frog mats, it makes the entire process easy. Just lay them down on the wire racks prior to placing your sliced meats on them. slick as snot on a door knob.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74