Eyes at night

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok everyone I have never really targeted walleyes at night but can't get the ice fishing itch out of me. So I'm going to try after work will be 5 or after until I make it to the lake. Any tips and tricks on what structure to setup on and what depths to try? Also is you don't mind sharing what lures work best same as during early mornings and during the day, also is glow hook a must at night?

Appreciate any info

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Find a clear lake fish shallow right next to or in the weeds. I like to use bigger lures in the night glow is not a must for me I think vibration has more to do with it. I like to keep my lures a couple feet off the bottom. If they are up higher they will create a shadow that the fish can see. Keep the light in your fish house to a minimum and noise also. I have always caught more fish just using the vex and a sunflower heater for my light sources.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
From what I have noticed over the years if you're on them before dark you have a good chance at night bite. If the evening bite was slow I didn't get much for a night bite. I wonder if charging glow in the dark lures doesn't do more harm than good ??

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i night fished at least 10 nights per ice season on western sak for many years...

we were usually set up on 12-20' during the day, and drilled our night holes by mid afternoon to have them ready to go for the late bite... if the bite was say 15' during the day, we would have tipups from 10-20'... as the dark came, you could watch the bites come shallower and shallower... we would leapfrog the deepest sets to the next shallow hole, eventually having them all in 1-10' for overnight... caught lots of fish in less than 2' of water under the ice overnight...

when and where we fished, we would rarely catch eyes jigging, and our favorite set for overnight was a #4 treble with 3 minnows hooked in the tail (happy meal is what we called it), 1/2 right on bottom with line run through an egg weight, and 1/2 bout 1' off bottom...

we evolved into this over the years to get away from the shiners which would drive you crazy in deeper water at night...

rattle reels in a dimly lit fish house are the best alarm clocks...

good luck...

- - - Updated - - -

i night fished at least 10 nights per ice season on western sak for many years...

we were usually set up on 12-20' during the day, and drilled our night holes by mid afternoon to have them ready to go for the late bite... if the bite was say 15' during the day, we would have tipups from 10-20'... as the dark came, you could watch the bites come shallower and shallower... we would leapfrog the deepest sets to the next shallow hole, eventually having them all in 1-10' for overnight... caught lots of fish in less than 2' of water under the ice overnight...

when and where we fished, we would rarely catch eyes jigging, and our favorite set for overnight was a #4 treble with 3 minnows hooked in the tail (happy meal is what we called it), 1/2 right on bottom with line run through an egg weight, and 1/2 bout 1' off bottom...

we evolved into this over the years to get away from the shiners which would drive you crazy in deeper water at night...

rattle reels in a dimly lit fish house are the best alarm clocks...

good luck...

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks appreciate the advice

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110