Reds in South Texas

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for any information a guy would have for fishing reds (red drum) in the coastal waters of Texas, preferably wade fishing. Trying to plan a trip down there this winter to fly fish. I'm kind of set on fishing Texas even though there may be areas of Florida, Louisiana, etc. where these fish are also located.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
yeah, put some tape on your fingers...

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had some Navy buddies stationed in Corpus that did some of that.

1. Have a good knowledge of the tides. You can find yourself in deep water real quick if you have to wade 400 yards in 10 minutes.
2. Don't keep any fish while wading. There are some big Bulls and Hammerheads that you don't want to mess with.
3. Wear good hard soled wading shoes. Stingrays SUCK. Ask Steve Erwin.
4. I have NO IDEA what to use for fly fishing these things.
5. That area of Texas has WIND and lots of it. Plan for it.
6. Bring traditional gear. Sitting around because conditions, such as water clarity, wave action, wind, etc. aren't good for fly fishing would also SUCK.
7. I'm jealous so I hope you fall down a lot and lose at least one wading shoe 12 times.

Last edited:

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
2. Don't keep any fish while wading. There are some big Bulls and Hammerheads that you don't want to mess with

I second this advice, I was dumb enough to be keeping fish in a draw string net bag tied to my waist about a hundred yards from shore while casting for bluefish and Spanish mackerel, sure enough a 6-7 foot shark come racing in after the blue I had on my line and caught wind of that bag I had hanging off my hip. After 5 or 6 seconds of this thing doing 90 mile an hour figure eights around me I caught a break when my buddy hooked up with a big bluefish that got the sharks attention, so it got the fish on his line instead of the ones around my waist. I was only that dumb once.....

as far as flies go, tour the local bait shops. They can usually recommend the basic "red & white daredevil for pike" type of lures. also look for shallow narrows where backwaters will fill and empty during tide changes. redfish tend to congregate in that current waiting for bait to get flushed in or out.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I second this advice, I was dumb enough to be keeping fish in a draw string net bag tied to my waist about a hundred yards from shore while casting for bluefish and Spanish mackerel, sure enough a 6-7 foot shark come racing in after the blue I had on my line and caught wind of that bag I had hanging off my hip. After 5 or 6 seconds of this thing doing 90 mile an hour figure eights around me I caught a break when my buddy hooked up with a big bluefish that got the sharks attention, so it got the fish on his line instead of the ones around my waist. I was only that dumb once.....

Didja shit? Idda shit.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
happened so fast there wasn't time to shit, probably one of, if not the scariest moment of my life. I was in just deep enough water, just about to my chest, that I couldn't run or get away, and there is nothing slower on the planet than a swimming human.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
oh hell no

You need to confront your fears. I suggest you get in the water with some sharks and settle this BS. You'll either come out of it no longer afraid of sharks - or be killed. Either way, you won't have that nagging fear anymore.

You're welcome,
Dr. Don B. Askeeredyalilsalli

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member

as far as flies go, tour the local bait shops. They can usually recommend the basic "red & white daredevil for pike" type of lures. also look for shallow narrows where backwaters will fill and empty during tide changes. redfish tend to congregate in that current waiting for bait to get flushed in or out.

Wow, yikes

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm with wags....nope, nope, and oh helllllllll nope! But I would love to go chase redfish,snook, and sea trout. Went out in Florida a few years back but just concentrated mostly on tarpon and chased some mangrove snappers around

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had some Navy buddies stationed in Corpus that did some of that.

1. Have a good knowledge of the tides. You can find yourself in deep water real quick if you have to wade 400 yards in 10 minutes.
2. Don't keep any fish while wading. There are some big Bulls and Hammerheads that you don't want to mess with.
3. Wear good hard soled wading shoes. Stingrays SUCK. Ask Steve Erwin.
4. I have NO IDEA what to use for fly fishing these things.
5. That area of Texas has WIND and lots of it. Plan for it.
6. Bring traditional gear. Sitting around because conditions, such as water clarity, wave action, wind, etc. aren't good for fly fishing would also SUCK.
7. I'm jealous so I hope you fall down a lot and lose at least one wading shoe 12 times.

All definitely some good information, especially the wind, never thought of that. Appreciate it kdm.

Keep the info coming guys!

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pull up the ol' google earth and get birds eye view of the areas you'll be fishing and locate access points and backwaters. Also search online for a "texangler.com" so to speak, a local fishing forum for that area so you can log on and eavesdrop on the local fishing chatter.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Along with the holy shi'ite stuff above bring some stout bass/pike tackle in case of non-conducive fly weather. I see a lot of white/gold spinnerbaits being used. I recommend Northland as they make the shafts speed clip friendly. Also you suck.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a big fan of being in a boat whilst ocean fishing.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, if you spot any white sperm whales please let me know.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a big fan of being in a boat whilst ocean fishing.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, if you spot any white sperm whales please let me know.

You seem curious about penises. Obtain a membership to a gymnasium or the military.

Last edited:

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Redfish will eat anything, but if i were forced to choose one pattern for inshore grass flats reds it would be shrimp. inshore reds are always after shrimp. Shrimp to an inshore redfish is like a smelt to a tailrace walleye.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77