Public Comment period for NWR

Bobber

Founding Member
Founding Member
Public comment period for commercial fishing guides is now open. The lakes are Lake Alice, Rose Lake and Silver Lake. You can make comments by mail At Devils Lake WMD 221 2nd Street NW Suite 2 Devils Lake, ND 58301 or e-mail comments to devilslake@fws.gov. For further info contact USFW @ 662-8611. Comment period is from January 6th -26th.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did the guides not monopolize Dry Lake or some such? I don't know the details but I can't imagine that bought much good will from the general public. :;:huh

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you Bobber for providing this information :;:thumbsup
Email sent

- - - Updated - - -

Yes kyle had permanents set up on Dry Lake the last time I was out which was week and a half ago. I have a question about snobears, do the guides need to post their business information on the sides to show who they are or not? Either I have seen a train of snoberars operated by guides or out of staters on Rose Lake a few times this year but unless you can see inside to tell which is impossible because the windows are tinted. :;:huh

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is from a Lake Region Anglers email.

image001.jpg@01D1486E.CD618DA0

Members,

As most of you know, there were several areas previously off limits to fishing that have been opened up for our angling enjoyment. At this time, there have been s few applications for permits to guide commercially on these waters. The process to get these permits is similar to getting the waters open to fishing. The period for public comment is now. If you would like to share your thoughts, please use the link below.

The draft commercial fishing guide Compatibility Determination has been posted for Public Comment. The public comment period is open through January 26, 2016. Don't hesitate to give me a call if you have any questions. Below is a link to the website and attached is the compatibility determination.

http://www.fws.gov/nwrs/threecolumn.aspx?id=2147571631

Matt Sprenger

Project Leader

Devils Lake WMD

221 2nd St NW Suite 2

Devils Lake, ND 58301

Phone: 701-662-8611 xt. 328

LRAA President - Johnnie Candle
LRAA Vice President - Ben Mack
LRAA Secretary - Cathy Nord
LRAA Treasurer - Brenda Barstad
LRAA Past President - Ed Dosch

LRAA Board Members - 2013-2016 - Ryan Boline, Craig Blake, Jay Hagen - 2014-2017 - Matt Taylor, Alan Nord, Cory Anderson - 2015-2018 - Bob Gibson - Jamie Lehmann, Cody Armstrong

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Idk what's the difference locals vs guides or ahab. Let em in hammer them

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shorthairsrus, no encourage you to spread the word and support for not allowing guides to fish the NWR

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO places like Lake Alice were the one thing Devils Lake had going for it when it came to not having to put in slot limits. These upper major spawning and larger female staging areas were hard to get to and some not fishable at all. Opening Lake Alice was the dumbest move I've seen yet. Between a few anglers who just couldn't stand it that they couldn't go there and catch these big females so they can post pics of how good of a fisherman they are and now the greed of some guides wanting to show how great they are the last safe places that were the future of our fishery are slowly getting decimated. One only needs to go to the indoor cleaning station to make their stomach turn as they see large female after large female being cleaned. And as you talk to them most of those cleaning these big fish were fishing these new areas. What a shame. Is your greed for cash today and need to stroke your egos really that much more important than the long term future of this great fishery? I hope all of you will write to the FWS and ask them to nix this proposal. It's bad enough what's happening to these areas right now. To add to it groups guided by anglers with the best equipment bringing thousands more to these areas imo is not in the best interest of the Devils Lake fishery.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what happens in a few years when it's dried up and tilled under? All those fish go to waste?

(Playing devils advocate here)

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO places like Lake Alice were the one thing Devils Lake had going for it when it came to not having to put in slot limits. These upper major spawning and larger female staging areas were hard to get to and some not fishable at all. Opening Lake Alice was the dumbest move I've seen yet. Between a few anglers who just couldn't stand it that they couldn't go there and catch these big females so they can post pics of how good of a fisherman they are and now the greed of some guides wanting to show how great they are the last safe places that were the future of our fishery are slowly getting decimated. One only needs to go to the indoor cleaning station to make their stomach turn as they see large female after large female being cleaned. And as you talk to them most of those cleaning these big fish were fishing these new areas. What a shame. Is your greed for cash today and need to stroke your egos really that much more important than the long term future of this great fishery? I hope all of you will write to the FWS and ask them to nix this proposal. It's bad enough what's happening to these areas right now. To add to it groups guided by anglers with the best equipment bringing thousands more to these areas imo is not in the best interest of the Devils Lake fishery.

Well said!! There are plenty of fishable waters around. No need to open up the NWR for guides to start a brag book on their catches. Just one man's opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

So what happens in a few years when it's dried up and tilled under? All those fish go to waste?

(Playing devils advocate here)

They swim over to Lake Irvine/ Pelican/Devils

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many on here have written or emailed your concerns.

- - - Updated - - -

Well said!! There are plenty of fishable waters around. No need to open up the NWR for guides to start a brag book on their catches. Just one man's opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Some fish will not be able to swim to Irvine because of land locked areas where water is than road example of the winter kill that occurred on the south end of Irvine few years ago. As far as females are concerned let's remember that ndgf stock nd lakes regardless of spawning females, so let's stick to the task at hand with allowing guides on these three lakes. Give the slot limit discussion a rest it has been hashed over and over numerous times.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Some fish will not be able to swim to Irvine because of land locked areas where water is than road example of the winter kill that occurred on the south end of Irvine few years ago. As far as females are concerned let's remember that ndgf stock nd lakes regardless of spawning females, so let's stick to the task at hand with allowing guides on these three lakes. Give the slot limit discussion a rest it has been hashed over and over numerous times.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did receive an email verifying NWR reviewed my post. I was wondering if anyone else get a email? If you have not contacted them yet, I would recommend you should as well as anyone else who doesn't want to see these permits go through.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a reminder to those of you who like Devils Lake not having to have slot limits because our best breeders still have some refuge from getting fleeced by large groups and who believe our refuges should be for average fisherman to enjoy a nice day without being moved in on by large groups that Tuesday is the last day to speak up and keep our refuges fun for the average Joe.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66