Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
I received a phone call on my cell the other day, went something like this:

Me: Hello
Caller: yeah, is jackie there??
Me: Who?
Caller: Jackie....
Me...ah..nobody by the name at this number...
Caller: Yes there is....
Me: Ah...no..you got the wrong number.
Caller: No I don't..this is the number she gave out.
Me: I'm sorry, but there's no jackie at this number, I'm the only one that uses this number.
Caller: Well....she stole my credit card number and bought stuff from cableas and used this number on the order and is from xxx, nd.
Me: This number orginates out of williston nd...sorry
Caller: Well..my number is xxx-0461 and yours is xxx-0462.
Me: The thief gave the store false information all the way around, using your credit card and my phone number...wow....thats interesting.
Caller: They'll be coming after you.. ( meaning the authorities)
Me: They can't come after me just because my number is on the order, thieves do that to throw people off...I'm sorry.
Caller: er.well I guess not, but your number is associated with this sale.
Me: I'm sorry...dunno what to say..but I have nothing to do with theft of your card just because my phone number is on the sale..I'm sorry. bye.

What amazes me is...how in the world can cablelas let this transaction go through if the billing information doesn't match the card..unbelievable. especially if its a phone in order. I never did ask if he lost the card. My suspicious is the card number was obtained elsewhere at some place he used to purchase something and someone working at said business stole his number and used it or sold the number to someone else....its always an inside job to steal credit card info and use it..or it was one hell of a hacker getting into a stores credit card database. Or unless he lost it..but he didn't reveal how the card number got stolen and I didnt ask. I was about to tell him to tell authorities to go to the address the stuff was shipped to...that will pretty much lead you right to them..instead of wasting your time tracking a phone number. If it was me...that where I would have went with this instead of bothering messing with the phone number. Your credit card company has the right to the copy of the transaction, they should be able to match everything up and if they finding anything suspicious, they usually squash the card and issue you a new one. then its up to their fraud division to seek the thieves out.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Actually, me thinks the whole Jackie thing was made up in the first place. Me thinks you stayed on the line too long in the first place as they were probably fishing for something else.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
but phishing for what? they didn't ask for any info.

Right. Mort dug his heels in but how many people would have spilled their guts in explanation saying it couldn't possibly have been them because of XYZ and here's my SS number.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right. Mort dug his heels in but how many people would have spilled their guts in explanation saying it couldn't possibly have been them because of XYZ and here's my SS number.

Thumbs Up gotcha

I move pretty quickly into asking "how can you live with yourself?" type questions as soon as I establish it's a phishing call ("hey - your computer is in danger!" type calls)

this moves pretty quickly into titty sprinkles territory from their end - in a Caribbean accent

they do NOT like it when you question their character - which is really ironic ;:;rofl

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
yup...I focused on the whole 'jackie' is not at this number mentality and nothing else.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I actually went through this just before xmas. Someone hacked a date base with my social sec # and place of work. They filed an unemployment claim with job service of ND. The claim was filled out using my personal info, but the address they used was on a listing for a home for sale in fargo, and the phone # used was the listing agents #. I'm sure the listing agent was surprised when Fargo PD followed up.

After the Bismarck PD investigated, they found out the claim was submitted from an IP address in FL and they hacked a database to get my info, then went online and found the listing in Fargo and used the Realtors info to submit the claim.

Amazes me what hoops people will go through to make a few bucks. What this moron probably didn't know is that my employer gets a notification of the claim, and of course asked me about it. Claim denied!!!!!

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya I'm guessing the whole thing was bs. A CC company wouldn't tell someone which number was used and they should call it to try and get their money back. It's the CC company's job to do that work.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I actually went through this just before xmas. Someone hacked a date base with my social sec # and place of work. They filed an unemployment claim with job service of ND. The claim was filled out using my personal info, but the address they used was on a listing for a home for sale in fargo, and the phone # used was the listing agents #. I'm sure the listing agent was surprised when Fargo PD followed up.

After the Bismarck PD investigated, they found out the claim was submitted from an IP address in FL and they hacked a database to get my info, then went online and found the listing in Fargo and used the Realtors info to submit the claim.

Amazes me what hoops people will go through to make a few bucks. What this moron probably didn't know is that my employer gets a notification of the claim, and of course asked me about it. Claim denied!!!!!

If they got your personal information, request a pin number when for your upcoming tax filing..

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thumbs Up gotcha

I move pretty quickly into asking "how can you live with yourself?" type questions as soon as I establish it's a phishing call ("hey - your computer is in danger!" type calls)

this moves pretty quickly into titty sprinkles territory from their end - in a Caribbean accent

they do NOT like it when you question their character - which is really ironic ;:;rofl

I enjoy this tactic.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get a lot of Laughs when I answer unknown calls starting out using the CC commercial line with my deep gruff voice, "Hello this is Peggy".:;:muahaha

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any information given out is too much…they probably no your name, obviously your cell number that you live in Williston and you probably shop at Cabelas online...
If I would have gotten the call:
Me: Hello
Caller: yeah, is jackie there??
Me: Who?
Caller: Jackie....

Me: yep let me get her….(a moment of silence to see if they are still on the call…if so hang up and block number)…done

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
When an unknown number comes in, I like to answer, "Hey. It's done, but there's blood everywhere."

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
If they got your personal information, request a pin number when for your upcoming tax filing..

Good idea. They told me to use a paper file this year and not electronically. Had to call the FTC, fill a police report, get an affidavit, call credit bureaus, etc etc etc.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess I would have given them my SSN, and had them check the other paperwork, just to make sure the crook didn't use my number too..

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I enjoy this tactic.

I love the "your computer is in danger, please type this in the command line" and then when they ask for what pops up on my screen I tell them something along the line of "my computer says U R an acehole".

They usually think I mistyped in the command they have just given me and we go through a couple of these cycles until they get clued in.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love the "your computer is in danger, please type this in the command line" and then when they ask for what pops up on my screen I tell them something along the line of "my computer says U R an acehole".

They usually think I mistyped in the command they have just given me and we go through a couple of these cycles until they get clued in.

gee, what do they say to you when they get clued in?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75