Question about Guns and Registering Guns

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, this is a question I have had for many years and with all this new regulation looming or being talked about I will ask it here. For the record I own guns and have purchased them.

When you purchase a gun, you fill out all the paperwork for the background check. The shop or store then calls it in to make sure you are ok to have that gun. I have always been told that after that is done and you are cleared the paperwork and records are gone.

So here is my question. If that were true why would they want to know the make model and serial number of the gun you are buying? What really happens to that info after the "background check"?

I have a very bad feeling that there is already a registry on file of every gun we have ever purchased since the background came into law and this new "gun show loophole" talk is to try to keep a better handle on where each gun is going. My guess is someone in the government could look up and tell you every gun I own already. If not, how do they such solid statistics on people who were reject and what they were trying to buy?

Please someone answer these questions and on the registry prove me wrong.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe Canada tried a gun registry and gave it up due to lack of participation by the citizenry. I suspect any attempt to do this here will meet with the same fate. Criminals won't register their guns and a goodly portion of 2nd amendment advocates and libertarians will also abstain from divulging info about their firearms. The govt. will find out very quickly that it is an expensive undertaking to try to keep tabs on firearm locations with the couple hundred simpletons they plan on hiring to do the job.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe Canada tried a gun registry and gave it up due to lack of participation by the citizenry. I suspect any attempt to do this here will meet with the same fate. Criminals won't register their guns and a goodly portion of 2nd amendment advocates and libertarians will also abstain from divulging info about their firearms. The govt. will find out very quickly that it is an expensive undertaking to try to keep tabs on firearm locations with the couple hundred simpletons they plan on hiring to do the job.

The Canadiens abandoned the registry because they spent billions and billions of dollars on it and it didn't prevent a single crime - who'da thought!!

When they call in a background check, the only info they provide NICS about your purchase is whether it's a long gun or hand gun. The form you fill out is retained by the FFL indefinitely, then turned over to the ATF when your FFL retires. As Lycan pointed out in another thread, Obama is suggesting that anyone who sells a gun is a "gun dealer" who must possess a federal firearms license (FFL) so the government can have a paper trail for every single gun sale between two individuals. When you get an FFL, you basically sign away your life to the ATF.

What law actually says is that any person can sell a legal firearm to any other person who can legally possess a firearm. Background checks can only be performed by FFL holders, only "gun dealers" need an FFL. Obama says if you sell a gun you're a gun dealer and if you don't have an FFL you're trafficking guns. So all those guys selling guns in the Nodak classifieds and on Bisman are apparently felonious arms traffickers.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
What law actually says is that any person can sell a legal firearm to any other person who can legally possess a firearm. Background checks can only be performed by FFL holders, only "gun dealers" need an FFL. Obama says if you sell a gun you're a gun dealer and if you don't have an FFL you're trafficking guns. So all those guys selling guns in the Nodak classifieds and on Bisman are apparently felonious arms traffickers.

If they are considered a business. Which is determined on a case by case basis. I don't selling on Bisman will qualify but what do I know.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
LOTTA BS being slung these days, everyone needs to reach out to their local reps to oppose this. Especially HH!

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
If they are considered a business. Which is determined on a case by case basis. I don't selling on Bisman will qualify but what do I know.

The attorney general went out of her way to clarify that selling even one gun "along with other factors" could constitute being a gun dealer. I have a gun I was considering selling, not any more. The law is whatever they say it is. Government agencies routinely raid individuals and businesses, spend millions prosecuting, and ruin lives only to have the case thrown out years later. Not about to subject myself to the whims of this handful of maniacs. I really feel sorry for the LEOs who dedicate their lives to public service only to be forced to be political muscle for wannabe dictators.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, this is a question I have had for many years and with all this new regulation looming or being talked about I will ask it here. For the record I own guns and have purchased them.

When you purchase a gun, you fill out all the paperwork for the background check. The shop or store then calls it in to make sure you are ok to have that gun. I have always been told that after that is done and you are cleared the paperwork and records are gone.

So here is my question. If that were true why would they want to know the make model and serial number of the gun you are buying? What really happens to that info after the "background check"?

I have a very bad feeling that there is already a registry on file of every gun we have ever purchased since the background came into law and this new "gun show loophole" talk is to try to keep a better handle on where each gun is going. My guess is someone in the government could look up and tell you every gun I own already. If not, how do they such solid statistics on people who were reject and what they were trying to buy?

Please someone answer these questions and on the registry prove me wrong.

You can bet your hinder parts there is a data bank with tons of gun info. Im pretty sure they can tell the exact gun you have by the serial numbers given. Just a hunch

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Obummer has the mentaility of...hey, lets make this worse than it already is, I don't give a sh!t if it works or not, I just want to make everyone miserable around me cuz I have no idea what the f_ck I'm doing.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pencil for sale, my asking price is $400. Oh sure...and you can have this gun for free.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can bet your hinder parts there is a data bank with tons of gun info. Im pretty sure they can tell the exact gun you have by the serial numbers given. Just a hunch

Make, model, and serial number of a firearm is not communicated during a background check/call-in. 4473's and log books are not given to BATFE until the FFL gets out of the firearms business, closes, retires, or dies. If the FBI retained every record of every NICS background check they'd performed since the beginning of the program, they would know when people bought guns, whether it was a handgun or a long gun, and that's it.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
One record that doesn't go away is the firearm data and your identification should you go hunting in Canada. Their State Department notifies ours and you are likely on a "potential terrorist" list. Thank you Patriot Act. Also a passport can be scanned and inform customs more information about you than you likely remember. So if you cross a border and are asked if you own any firearms, admit it. They already know.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75