Not a recipe

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Subdermal ribeye cut from Butcher Block

image.jpg

Vacumme seal in Umai dry aging meat bag.

image.jpg

Throw own it in the fridge on a cooling rack and forget about it.

image.jpg

After 40 days remove the bag and trim the bark, about 1/8" or so.

image.jpg

Cut it to desired thickness. After trying a dry aged steak from East 40 I knew I could do it better at home.

Attachments

image.jpg
Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Noice!!

- - - Updated - - -

Bet it tasted good and nutty.

- - - Updated - - -

Special occasion? Wine pairing?

#prettyjealous

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
$140 meat
$30 for 3 bags from Umai

10 steaks that are super tender and flaverfull.

Check out Umai dry aging bags, I'm hooked.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out the Umai webpage the bags allow enzymes to do thier thing. The meat needs to breath and a regular bag would allow bacteria to ruin your meat.

Youtube has some instructional vids that help explain way better than I can.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy what is the longest you aged a chunk of meat ? And what cut ?

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
That looks good but I would have a hard time not eating a prime rib sitting in my fridge for 40 days.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If anyone reading this is tempted I suggest you don't try it with newbs or general family like in-laws, etc. Many do not appreciate the subtle nutty funk.

Cretins. ;)

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a question. Long story short but I was given a cow that broke her leg and was put down. I knew if I butchered her right away the meat was going to be tough. I thought I could just marinate the steaks in Coca Cola or whatever. Wrong answer. I tried tenderizer hammers, crank tenderizers, spices, you name it. Is there anything else I could try?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Recipes that are designed for tougher cuts. Braising, slowcooking, etc. osso bucco style recipes.

aging should certainly help - which is what the OP is doing

you don't have to do it fancy - google around about aging beef in refrigerator

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
http://blog.golbsalt.com/2012/09/07/...lly-dry-aging/

We have messed around with this and have gone 40 days. Have never used sea salt, just rock salt. Mossy is right that longer loses too much to really justify the difference.

We have done Deer backstraps for 28 days and people did not realize it was deer they were eating. Need to keep the humidity up at least 80% as well.

Had a 5 year old bull break a leg once and took the loin and tried dry aging it for 28 days thinking it would improve the tenderness, some but not enough to matter.

Here is a link explaining dry aging a bit.

http://www.beefresearch.org/CMDocs/BeefResearch/Dry aging enhances palatability of beef.pdf

http://gizmodo.com/5866754/the-science-of-taste-or-why-dry-aged-meat-is-so-damned-delicious

This one explains that one ammino acid generated by dry aging is MSG which is what is artificially put in food that makes your mouth water

http://extension.missouri.edu/p/G2209

Have a friend that finishes cattle. He gets prime ribs from the packer that buys his cattle. He will wet age the primeal in the cryovac for 40 days and they are some of the best prime ribs I have ever eaten. We have done this a couple times as well.

Improved processing lowering pathogen levels allows for beef to be wet aged with some pretty good results. Tenderness differences between wet and dry aged beef is minimal at best, like guy says dry aging changes beefs flavor a bit. Some people like it some don;t.

I like em both. :)

When you wet age a primal you have to make certain there are no leaks, (fluids draining out or the plastic puffing up)

Make sure you know the processing date before starting.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a question. Long story short but I was given a cow that broke her leg and was put down. I knew if I butchered her right away the meat was going to be tough. I thought I could just marinate the steaks in Coca Cola or whatever. Wrong answer. I tried tenderizer hammers, crank tenderizers, spices, you name it. Is there anything else I could try?

Hamburger

- - - Updated - - -

Hamburger

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
That would be interesting to try. A Brazlear shear force test would be a bit more accurate in determining tenderness, but eating experience is what it boils down to.

We are going about influencing tenderness genetically in our cattle. They have mapped the bovine genome and are identifying genetic markers for various traits. If one is interested in this kinda stuff pretty neat info.

http://www.beefresearch.ca/factsheet.cfm/testing-for-beef-tenderness-95

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess this would also be a perfect experiment concerning my above vid.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62