Ottertail Lake

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few buddies and I are looking to finally get the permanent out on the ice this coming weekend. We want to venture outside of the Hankinson/Valley City/DL area for a long weekend.

Does anyone know what the ice conditions are like on Ottertail? We don't know the lake very well but have heard there is a night bite so we might give it a whirl if the ice is good enough to drive on. There is something about rattle reels going off in the middle of the night that is appealing. Any help is very appreciated.

Thanks

Jake

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you don't get a firsthand reply, Ben's Bait shop in Battle Lake would probably be worth a call. I think there are a couple resorts on the lake that operate in the winter too, could call them. I'd imagine there isn't more than 10" consistently.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you don't get a firsthand reply, Ben's Bait shop in Battle Lake would probably be worth a call. I think there are a couple resorts on the lake that operate in the winter too, could call them. I'd imagine there isn't more than 10" consistently.

Yeah I was thinking about calling Barkleys (?) before heading out there but figured I would ask the NDA people first

NJL

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was near there visiting family over xmas. As of that time, quite a few of the lakes had open areas and the ice was pretty sketchy. I'd definitely be very cautious going out there, as I don't think it's gotten cold enough to generate significant ice (until just recently). Ben's bait or Rocky's are definitely a couple places to check with before heading out there.

As for fishing, my experience (I grew up there) on Ottertail has been hit or miss. Luckily, if the fish aren't biting there, you could always check out some of the other area lakes.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went out on Ottertail two weekends ago. There were small trucks (Rangers, etc.) and ATVs/Snowmobiles all over the place. We set up on the first drop-off, fished until dark, and caught one 13-inch walleye.

So compared to previous ice fishing trips to Ottertail, about average! Good luck.

thorson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm fishing ottertail in the am I'll send ya a hot bite and cool ice depth report by 1300.

thorson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just left ice which is 12-13 inches with trucks on the ice. I accessed the lake from the west side at the gas station and fished the horse shoe area. 2 walleye n several small perch temp minus 13 with ice cracking by the minute.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
My In-laws have a cabin on OT. I can't speak on early ice because most of the fishing I have done has been mid to late walleye season. In all the times I have ice fished it, I've got my limit one time. IME, it's a 20min before and 20min after sunset bite. The one time I limited, I caught my 1st fish in 28 and my last in 12 FOW. I have yet to see someone actually prove they are catching keeper perch.......not "MN Keeper Perch"

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha, I hear you. We've gone there every summer for 25+ years and I can't remember the last perch above 6" I've seen - granted that's summer. Very tricky lake to fish with so much structure; I've never found a terribly consistent pattern for walleyes - do well occasionally and then fish the next 5 days with maybe a keeper or two.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha, I hear you. We've gone there every summer for 25+ years and I can't remember the last perch above 6" I've seen - granted that's summer. Very tricky lake to fish with so much structure; I've never found a terribly consistent pattern for walleyes - do well occasionally and then fish the next 5 days with maybe a keeper or two.

That's OT for ya. I grew up on Ottertail because my grandfather had a cabin there. Now my uncles do. It's a beautiful lake with some nice eyes, but Jesus H. Christ is it hard to fish.

And I refuse to fish deeper than 30-35 feet for 12-inch walleyes that puke their guts up after you catch them. Which pretty much limits you to the drop-offs and humps during the golden hours of morning and evening.

But hey, you get to listen to screaming snowmobiles for hours on ends as they drag-race across the lake. So you have that going for you. Which is nice.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's OT for ya. I grew up on Ottertail because my grandfather had a cabin there. Now my uncles do. It's a beautiful lake with some nice eyes, but Jesus H. Christ is it hard to fish.

And I refuse to fish deeper than 30-35 feet for 12-inch walleyes that puke their guts up after you catch them. Which pretty much limits you to the drop-offs and humps during the golden hours of morning and evening.

But hey, you get to listen to screaming snowmobiles for hours on ends as they drag-race across the lake. So you have that going for you. Which is nice.

No doubt. My least favorite thing is a dad taking the kids out, then letting them eff around on the sled all day. Might as well fill them full of sugar, and caffeine, and put them right in my shelter with me, and your GD dog too.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75