Vexilar Comparisons

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Could you guys explain the differences in the different vexilars out there between the 8-18-20-22-28?

I understand that 8 is basic, 18 has 6ft bottom zoom...but what is the difference between the top 3? Is the price difference worth it? I have been watching for used ones and I am just wondering in your opinion if they are worth it.

Would you pony up for a 20/22/28 over an 18? Whats the added benefit?

Thanks in advance.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Vex 20 Ultra Pak with the tri ducer. Have enjoyed it in the 3 yrs I have had it. The new 28's look like the cat's patooty tho. I think the 22 only goes to 60 fow..which is usually fine..plus I think the 22 has 10 ft scales versus 20 ft. Vex 18's are great as well.
I would suggest you head to Scheels or Cabela's or another store with displays and ask a sales person who knows the units to give you the pluses and minuses of each and take it from there. Different strokes for different folks and different types of fishing.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
FLX 28 has better separation 1/4", auto depth, and be able to monitor voltage on the screen. Buy with the tri beam ice ducer not pro view.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The models higher than the 18 worth the $$? Nope IMO - 18 has all you need.

Better models? They have flat screens (which is great for not collecting snow/water at the bottom) and a few bells/whistles you don't need IMO.

I have had an 8, 18, and 28. Recently gave the 8 to our son.

You DON't want the 8! (no zoom is BS)

Biglunch

Founding Member
Founding Member
The models higher than the 18 worth the $$? Nope IMO - 18 has all you need.

Better models? They have flat screens (which is great for not collecting snow/water at the bottom) and a few bells/whistles you don't need IMO.

I have had an 8, 18, and 28. Recently gave the 8 to our son.

You DON't want the 8! (no zoom is BS)
Shoot I just bought one yesterday. Are they really that bad

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
They aren't terrible. I have an 8. It has it's uses. I'm sure the other models are better, but I've never used anything other than the 8, so I guess ignorance is bliss. It does what I need it do to.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shoot I just bought one yesterday. Are they really that bad

They aren't bad compared to no electronics! It just major sucks not having any sort of zoom.

They ARE pretty bad if you fish deeper than 30 ft. Even 20-30 is getting lame. The marks become tiny and difficult to use.

Anything shallower than 20 feet and they're pretty much as good as others IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

You'd have to fish with zoom to appreciate not having it.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the FL-18 now and the only other unit I would consider buying is the FLX-28. My buddy has one and I am jealous every time we fish together. The flat screens of the 20 and 22 are hard to see when fishing outdoors.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there a functional difference between the 20 and 22 other than flat screen?

And could you explain the ducers? Which ones to avoid? With iceducer you can just set it on the ice and check depth correct?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hate my proview transducer. what a mistake... on me by buying one, on vexilar for building it

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if you could send the pro view to vexilar and have them make you a tri beam, the tri beam has the pro view cone on it.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there a functional difference between the 20 and 22 other than flat screen?

And could you explain the ducers? Which ones to avoid? With iceducer you can just set it on the ice and check depth correct?

I believe the basic difference between 20 and 22 is the 22 has max depth of 60 fow. Which may be just fine for you.. Also..the 22 has 10ft scales...thus..if you were in 28fow you would be on the 30ft screen and no need to switch to 40ft.Supposedly for better resolution(although I have not been witness to someone using a 22). At the end of the day..whichever one you get, 18,20,22, or 28, if you stare at your vex long enough...it is addicting..it won't be long at all and you will know exactly what your vex is telling you.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an 18, I only use it with the bottom zoom. I cant imagine fishing without it.

My buddy has the 20 and 28, the instant digital depth on the 28 is neat, but I don't think it is $200+ more in cost neat.
it gets the 3 on the neatness scale.

Bull Herbie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have both an 8 and 20, love both of them. When I got the 20 I was chosing between the 18 and 20. I finally got the 20 because of the night setting. As far as transducers go, you can use any vex ducer on any unit. I have the proview and wish I had the tri beam. They were having big problems with the tri beam when I bought mine.
If you have the 8 all you need to do is watch the bottom indicator and look for the red to start breaking up, little lines of green and yellow start showing up when a fish comes in on the bottom.
I'll also add that when I got mine I went to the vexilar shop in Minneapolis and got a refurbished one same warranty and saved quite abit of cash. Super nice salesmen great to deal with.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 8 and a 22. Bottom zoom is nice the 22 has 6 and 12 zoom. The 12 zoom is great when crappie fishing. I like the flat screen way better than the cone u are able to see it from a side view.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
You don't see a used 28 for sale, because they are that good, IMHO, and no one wants to get rid of it. But I'd say get what fits your needs and happy fishing.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Save yourself some money and get a Marcum lx5i
flat screen
adjustable zoom anywhere in the water column
dual beam ducer

:;:stirthepot

for reals tho

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Save yourself some money and get a Marcum lx5i
flat screen
adjustable zoom anywhere in the water column
dual beam ducer

:;:stirthepot

for reals tho

That's like ordering a whiskey 7up, and the barmaid says we have bubble up, its sorta the same thing...;:;barf

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80