AR Scopes

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a new AR I will eventually put a holographic sight on. I want to install an average rifle scope for the winter to shoot yotes with. I'm completely unfamiliar with AR's in regards to mounting scopes on them. Will they accept any rifle scope that you could put on a normal deer rifle?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
cool thanks. I also want to confirm what I was also told by someone. No red dot scopes for yotes? seems a little strange to me.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
you can run whatever optic you want. Its your gun! I have a red dot on one rifle, and ive attempted shooting yotes with it haha it was fun but definitely not ideal... atleast for me

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
cool thanks. I also want to confirm what I was also told by someone. No red dot scopes for yotes? seems a little strange to me.

If you mean legally you can't use red dots for coyotes, that would not be correct. They can be used. Night vision and thermal imaging and such can't be used.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you mean legally you can't use red dots for coyotes, that would not be correct. They can be used. Night vision and thermal imaging and such can't be used.

I believe this is correct. There was once a rule that you couldn't use any electronic optic but there are now so many optics with illuminated reticle sits becoming difficult to find something that doesn't have a battery. Check the proclamation to be sure.

When you get around to looking for a red dot or similar optic let me know. I can point you in the right direction.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I can use a red dot that opens up a whole new area. How about holographics on yotes? good to go? Bed Wetter I sent you a pm yesterday.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm looking at a Burris AR-332. Not sure if that's something that would be decent or not.

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Burris 332 on one and its fine for yotes just not ideal for shooting dime size groups at 100 yrds as the dot is bigger than the target. I sight in on a 3 inch circle and the dot blocks it out. Just center your group in that circle and you will be good to go. If you try on anything smaller you will lose the target.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you but a beater on it for the time being make sure you are ready to throw the scope away, that dual recoil can ruin a scope pretty quick. Even on a light recoil from a .223/5.56. I toasted a 1200.00 Leupold with my UMAR 22-250 in about 400 rounds, when I sent it in they called me and asked if it was on a reverse recoil platform. They may have made some adjustments to deal with dual recoil but I'm not sure.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I can use a red dot that opens up a whole new area. How about holographics on yotes? good to go? Bed Wetter I sent you a pm yesterday.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm looking at a Burris AR-332. Not sure if that's something that would be decent or not.

Never received a PM. I like the concept of the AR-332 optic because the have an etched reticle instead of a laser dot. However, the Burris reticle seems really busy and takes up a bit of your field of view. I feel like the reticle gets in the way. check out the Vortex Spitfire 3x with the "boob" reticle. I really like the idea of an etched reticle because it'll still work if your battery dies and you don't get the "starburst" effect if you have astigmatism.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never received a PM. I like the concept of the AR-332 optic because the have an etched reticle instead of a laser dot. However, the Burris reticle seems really busy and takes up a bit of your field of view. I feel like the reticle gets in the way. check out the Vortex Spitfire 3x with the "boob" reticle. I really like the idea of an etched reticle because it'll still work if your battery dies and you don't get the "starburst" effect if you have astigmatism.
I have astigmatism so great advice.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Primary Arms also makes a 4x with an etched reticle.

If you want the bee's knee's in low magnification illuminated etched reticle, consider a Trijicon ACOG.

ISELLGUNS

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, you can use a red dot, holographic or illuminated reticle scope.

- - - Updated - - -

I think he means Windham Weaponry.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89