Ground up goose jerky

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to grind up some duck and goose breasts for jerky. I use the HiCountry seasoning(making 2 kinds Hickory blend, and Pepper blend) I weigh out the meat, then go to the next weight in the directions for the amount of seasoning(seems to for better flavor). Let it set in the fridge for 24 hours, and run it through the jerky gun. Then dehydrate on the dehydrator. I'm thinking about adding liquid smoke to the pepper jerky, what's your thoughts on this, and does anyone know how much liquid smoke to use? Thanks.

LiebelsGuide

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just made 10lbs the last couple nights, good clean meat isn't going to need pork or beef, IMO. I bought the 10 pack from owens BBQ that i am trying. I used black pepper/garlic and honey BBQ seasonings. Both are good!

I have about 10 more pounds to make and was wondering on the liquid smoke as well since I use the oven to dry the jerky.

I should add this is for honkers not snow geese.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've made duck and goose jerky in the past. My best recommendation is to cut off any meat that has some pellet carnage. Any spot that doesn't look perfect, get rid of it. If you try to salvage that meat, it will have a very bad taste in that one area.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use high cty as well,just strip the breast meat,same flavor as you mentioned,but use a smoker,turns out great(honkers) snow goose we grind with pork otherwise its pretty gammie.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well here's what I have decided, after cleaning and cutting up breasts I have 10lbs of goose, and duck meat, this is sitting in a cold water salt solution to get most of the blood out so all I have to do is run it through the grinder. I'm going to add 5lbs of 93% lean ground beef to it(wife thinks she will like the jerky better). I Googled (Google is neat) jerky with liquid smoke , and found one that you use 1oz of liquid smoke with 1oz of water, for 5lbs of meat, and you put this mixture in a spray bottle, and after you squeeze, or roll out the meat, you spray this on the meat. I squeeze the meat (using a jerky gun) onto a cookie sheet, and put it in a 200 degree oven for 10 minuets to get the meat to solidify a bit, then take it off the sheet and put it on the dehydrator.

Last edited:

MossyMO

Founding Member
Founding Member
I find liquid smoke to be overpowering in small amounts as it is a concentrate. Everyone has their own taste preferences but I would suggest using very little and if doing a few different batches you can always add a little more to the second batch to get an idea of what you prefer.

If you have a smoke generator like a maze or tube smoker you could cold smoke the jerky an hour or two before putting it in the dehydrator... just a suggestion.

In the link below I posted some ground goose jerky my wife and I made up, this was 100% ground goose breasts with no beef or pork add and we were very happy with the final product... looking forward to hearing about and hopefully seeing your guy's final products!

http://nodakangler.com/forums/showthread.php?4348-Got-Goose-What-to-do

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69