Marcum vs Vexliar

k9guy82

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just starting to build up my ice fishing gear and I'm in the market for a flasher. I'm looking to get a Marcum VX-1i or a Vexilar FL8....What are your thoughts? Thanks guys!

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
A lot of people will steer you away from the FL-8 because it doesn't have a zoom feature. That being said, that is what I have and it suits me just fine. Can't beat the original imo.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
A lot of people will steer you away from the FL-8 because it doesn't have a zoom feature. That being said, that is what I have and it suits me just fine. Can't beat the original imo.
Oh no NPO_Aaron the Yeti pose is going to have a fit about K2 coolers, The real kicker is some of the Yetis are made in Sconiville:;:smokin
K9guy82 find yourself a nice fl18 then get a tri beam ice ducer than you will be set for years and years and years

k9guy82

Founding Member
Founding Member
hmmmm ok...im doing some research on ducers now...do they make that much of a difference?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
No not really as long as you have bottom zoom, that is the most important to me. The Fl 8 does not have bottom zoom No the tri beam is not needed unless you happen to fish in waters from 1' to 60' deep than yes it does help with cone angle. FL18 comes with a 12 degree but when fishing in deep waters in really sucks because of the wide cone angle.

norm70

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had an fl8 for 8 years, loved it. If you can spend the money or save the money I would get an fl18. The zoom feature is very nice to have if your fishing for walleyes perch etc... if your going for crappies or other suspended fish the fl8 works just fine. I have fished by marcums and I guess its a matter of preference. Ive always leaned towards vexilar.

k9guy82

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank for the input...I fished with a buddys vex with bottom zoomed and I liked it. The low-end Marcum has bottom zoom and was leaning towards that...So if the spousal unit lets spend a few extra bucks then ill get the FL 18

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank for the input...I fished with a buddys vex with bottom zoomed and I liked it. The low-end Marcum has bottom zoom and was leaning towards that...So if the spousal unit lets spend a few extra bucks then ill get the FL 18
:;:rockit

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both are good units. Marcum is cancer to a Vex though. I won't let those in the ice House. Be sure to get zoom, you'll regret it if you don't.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just starting to build up my ice fishing gear and I'm in the market for a flasher. I'm looking to get a Marcum VX-1i or a Vexilar FL8....What are your thoughts? Thanks guys!

Good for you k9 for joining the ice fishing addiction! At the end of the day you need to make your own decision on what is better. Visit a sporting goods store who has both units and have them show you what they do and don't do and go from there. I run vex and love it. If I were in your position just starting out...I think I would look for a good used fl18 unit versus a new 8. Find someone you can trust who has one and help you find one, Its kinda like this..would you want a brand new 2 wheel drive truck...or a nice used 4 wheel drive...Your new 8 will be nice..but......... my .02

Last edited:

k9guy82

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good for you k9 for joining the ice fishing addiction! At the end of the day you need to make your own decision on what is better. Visit a sporting goods store who has both units and have them show you what they do and don't do and go from there. I run vex and love it. If I were in your position just starting out...I think I would look for a good used fl18 unit versus a new 8. Find someone you can trust who has one and help you find one, Its kinda like this..would you want a brand new 2 wheel drive truck...or a nice used 4 wheel drive...Your new 8 will be nice..but......... my .02

Yes sir! I was looking at a few used units, but I have to be on it! I hit up 3 people for used units and they were gone within hours of posting. But when it is time to buy (in about a week) I still look used before I get new unit. THANKS BRO!

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a humminbird ice 55 and really like it the 45 also has zoom and the 35 is similar to the fl8. I've never been around a Marcum so no help there but have been around and used 8, 18, 28 and they are all good units. Zoom is definitely a nice feature when needed. I'm on my 3rd year with my ice55 and some features that stood out for me was decent price on the units, zoom, and digital readout. Lifespan of a humminbird is TBD but vex are pretty much bullet proof. Good luck

k9guy82

Founding Member
Founding Member
So the spousal unit let me splurge a bit and let me get a FL-18...I've been fishing with a buddy's FL-28 and it made me decide to go with vex. Thanks again for the input fellas! Hopefully I get to use here before The ice melts with this gorgeous weather we been having!

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
:;:thumbsup
So the spousal unit let me splurge a bit and let me get a FL-18...I've been fishing with a buddy's FL-28 and it made me decide to go with vex. Thanks again for the input fellas! Hopefully I get to use here before The ice melts with this gorgeous weather we been having!

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator

You won't be disappointed.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I were you, I'd just go with the vex fl28. Bought mine last year and love it. But do what you have a budget for. Can always upgrade down the road. Like Johnr said in a different topic about this, they will probably come out with a 32 that will give you a hand job in the future.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
You will not be disappointed. Glad you came to the good side!

Whenever I see anybody with something besides a Vex, I feel sad for them that they obviously do not know any better.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67