Portable Ice House- Heater Options

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curious what you guys are using for heaters in your portable ice houses? I've got an uninsulated Guide so it does take a bit more heat than many of the newer houses. I have a catalytic style heater that does OK in warmer temps. Plus side is that it's small and no open flame. But, just not enough heat for cold days. I also have Buddy Heater. It heats well but takes up so much room and burns a pile of propane.

I'm trying to simplify my setup and am looking for different options. Anything else you're using that you like?
Light, doesn't take up space, and heats well are highest on my list.

Anything better out there than what I've got?

JimmersDad

Honestly I would recommend looking into an insulated shelter sometime. I use a little buddy in my 3 man insulated hub and on the coldest days it's still very fishable in there, not hot, but fishable. Plus I can fit the heater and two 1 pound canisters in a 5 gallon bucket.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heater aside, IMO you need to decide what size propane tank you plan on using. 1 pounders are convienent but more expensive, 20 pounders are the most cost efficient regarding tank cost and bulk fill. I have a 5lb tank as a happy medium. For a heater, you need to decide how many btu's you need to heat it. The temps that you fish in are going to have the most dramatic effect on needed BTU's. You can always crack a door or window to let out excess heat.......you can't do the opposite. I run a frabill adventurer 2 man uninsulated flip, with a 5 lb propane tank in a 5 gallon bucket with an 8' hose to my big buddy heater. I run it on med medium for the most part.

- - - Updated - - -

For space efficiency, I leave the 5 lb tank in the 5 gallon bucket with a hole drilled through the side for the line to run out of, and I place a snap on seat cover over the top. So I use the bucket my seat.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big buddy with a 20 pounder will last 36 hours and keep an insulated Eskimo toasty at below zero temps. This was my experience last weekend during the Mobridge tourney. I left it on low all night the night before.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big buddy heater and 20lb tank. Or sunflower heater works but you might end up like me and get a few holes burnt into your flip over, ah memories

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the buddy and it was more than enough in my 7x7 hub but since I got the clam 8x8 it's sufficient but when it's cold it get a bit chilly.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Buddy I've got works fine. I just get sick of how big it is. I have a 5# I can use, so tanks aren't the issue.

Mainly, I'm looking for the most compact, light heater that will heat my shack. I'm a bit south of you guys and I often don't have enough ice to do anything but walk on. And, if the walk is long I want things to be light. And I am sick of a sled full of shit LOL!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If weight and size are your foe, there is nothing smaller and lighter than a sunflower head.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy and 20lb tank. I have ran a burn your coat sunflower, can't get it cool enough in the house hot spot, stinky kerosine, open flame dangerous cooker. U name it the buddy is still the be st for portable heater

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
0000000007086.jpgheaters004.jpgmr heater.jpgMRHEATER-MH15.jpg

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Buddy I've got works fine. I just get sick of how big it is. I have a 5# I can use, so tanks aren't the issue.

Mainly, I'm looking for the most compact, light heater that will heat my shack. I'm a bit south of you guys and I often don't have enough ice to do anything but walk on. And, if the walk is long I want things to be light. And I am sick of a sled full of shit LOL!

You might want to take a look at all your other gear and see where else you can make yourself lighter. Before I had fishable ice around my area, I set up my house in my garage and took a deep look at all my gear. I made a pile of what was absolutely needed and what wasn't. It made a big difference.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Portable buddy and 11# tank is the best combo for a portable IMO. I have an otter thermal top cabin and I have never been cold even in -30 wind chill. I never have my coat on in the house and run it on low quite often. It's nice to fish in peace rather than listen to those damn sunflowers.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Between the sunflower whine and the vex. I got rid of all that noisebend and replaced with today's technology. Now I can hear my rod bend

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
not only that --- the buddy is cleaner air than the sunflower IMO

I am Big Buddy and thats that. I used to get headaches from sunflowers after a long day(beer on top of it made it really bad). They hiss like an evil snake and burn shit like pyro to boot. I won't go back. That said they are compact, light and portable.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75