#winnipegruinedme

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't even want to ice fish for walleyes in the state of ND after going to Lake Winnipeg. Anyone else?

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
It will.

I have been up there twice. We go in January when its cold. I have caught 6 eyes over 8 lbs and 1 over 9 in two years. This year we had a group of 7 including our very own Dirty Mika and Huff Ranger. Of the 7 guys we caught like 15 Master Anglers and the biggest was a 12+ pound walleye. Between Dirty, Huff, my partner and myself we had 6 over 28" and caught between 100 and 150 fish.

- - - Updated - - -

When Dirty Mike and Huff Ranger get all their stuff put away I am sure they will start a new thread and post pics. I had a blast fishing next to you guys and would like to thank you for an enjoyable trip this year.

Huff, I am excited to see your magic trick for next year!

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want to get up there going to try and plan a trip for next year. Looks like it was a good time.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ruined is being kind. There was a catastrophic failure in my will to go chase dink walleye bites.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
4 years of going for me. Might be my last this year until my boy gets old enough.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've done well at Winnipeg but never broke 10. Quite a few 6-9s. I broke 10 in my back yard - fishing for catfish.

That said I am perfectly happy to catch 14-21 inch walleyes on local waters. The trophy hog eye bug just never infected me I guess.

Not that I don't plan to go back of course and would welcome the opportunity to go on an NDA group trip, but it hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for fishing locally in the slightest.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ruined is being kind. There was a catastrophic failure in my will to go chase dink walleye bites.

Give it a couple weeks. You'll soon be happy as a calm catching 16" walleyes again. I've suffered this same affliction before, and it does wear off

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sub Elect and Jim unselfishly shared thier expertise and were great guys to hang out with. Safety was priority with big fish second. The road trip was a good time with Dirty as a copilot, I drove from Bismarck to Selkirk on 4 hrs of sleep in two days.

The lake is overwhelming with no chance of being crowded, huge bonus for me. We used radios to chat while we fished, poking fun and hearing the whoops of joy from 600 yards away was really a blast.

Im addicted and this trip will cost me thousands getting ready for next time.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both our machines didn't like the -25 but we got them going. I think DM's right arm is longer than his left.. And probably stronger too. My Honda 4stroke auger was even temperamental and you have to be careful not to yank the recoil out of both the sleds and the auger.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Went and started mine yesterday to test it in cold. Fired right up in -10. -25 is another story tho. Hopefully nicer in March.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
how'd the sled hold up for you?

yeah mine was a bear up there. It likes spark plugs and my father in laws mentality of "never throw anything away" extends over to spark plugs. Here I thought I had three spares just in case and he loaded me up with three used plugs. To be fair, I didn't work well in -25 degrees either

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both our machines didn't like the -25 but we got them going. I think DM's right arm is longer than his left.. And probably stronger too. My Honda 4stroke auger was even temperamental and you have to be careful not to yank the recoil out of both the sleds and the auger.

that is from the excessive masturbation

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
NOTHING and I mean NOTHING beats muddin' on the Sheyenne in KDM's world in the summer and very little beats a small slough with willing perch in winter. The peace and quiet of running water, walleyes, and river critters just does it for me as does the serenity of being the only one on the pond catching a few perch. The long drive, open ice, and wind of lake winnepeg holds no appeal to me. However, I love seeing the pics of those who make the trip, so go get'em guys!!!!

Hawgeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
My first trip was 2009 when it wasn't very well known. Me and a buddy were the only ones at Cats on the Red and Stu directed us out at Pruden Creek where there were maybe 10 rigs there all day. Both caught a Master through the ice and have been hooked ever since.

my ice fishing has changed since that trip, but mostly for reasons I buy what I do for fishing gear. Everything I buy for my gear and how I pack it revolves around my LW trip. Last year I put on nearly 200 miles on the sled, broke my big buddy, my Frabill Predator(due to hitch breaking) jiffy case, tackle boxes etc...there is a lot of pounding over wind blown drifts for 200 miles. I have spent hours in the garage this fall re-rigging my snowmobile to put 90% of my gear on the snowmobile leaving only light incidentals in the Frabill.

It it isn't looking promising for me to make a trip this year but I am hoping I do. We'll see.

Now you park a mile down the road on a really busy day.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75