Vexilar FLX 28 Opinions

guywhoalsofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just wondering about some opinions on the Vexilar FLX 28's. I have heard about problems with them in shallow water having too much power causing bad feedback and a 3' blind spot below the puck. Hoping to hear from people who have used them and their opinions on those problems, if they are worth all of the money, and such. Thanks

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
they have a weed mode and low power mode. between those two options, i haven't had a problem

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't fished below five feet although I have dropped into water under three for depth checking and have never had a problem. Only time I had issues with it was the last day of fishing last spring due to too much gunk in the water freaking out the signal but that would have been the case with all units. Love just setting her to auto and not have to mess with setting it every time I move.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I got mine it had to much power and could never move or adjust it ended up getting a factory resistor from Wade at Dakota T never had a problem with a blind spot in shallow water. Best depth finder for ice fishing in my book.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
This problems you are talking about is common if you have the proview ducer and use the auto depth feature. I have found that when I replaced my ice ducer with a tri beam and when I am fishing in 15' or less I will shut off auto depth and use a mid cone angle which has stopped me from getting feedback. Also, I am a very picky about setting up my ice ducer to be just below the bottom of ice which can be a pain in cloudy water.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
until something comes out that will definitively allow me to catch more fish, i cant justify it.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since there is a forever postage stamp, I think Vex should come out with a forever Vex program. Say..i dunno..lets say for the sake of saying some number..lets say..$1000 or $1500. Pay one time and allows you to upgrade to the newest and latest and greatest vex model available each time a new model becomes available. :;:thumbsup;:;popcorn

guywhoalsofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome! Thanks for all of the feed back! I went out and bought the FLX 28 ultra pack and will be taking it out this weekend, and by the sounds of it, I will not be disappointed!

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
until something comes out that will definitively allow me to catch more fish, i cant justify it.
Definitevely... Nice vocab word! Haha im in the same boat in regards to upgrading to the fl-28.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am guessing I will upgrade in about 2-3 years, when I hand the 18 down to the boy. He rather enjoys ice fishing, and has since about age 2.
I am guessing in a short 2 years they will have come out with an FL32 that will give hand jobs when the fishing is slow...haha

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am guessing I will upgrade in about 2-3 years, when I hand the 18 down to the boy. He rather enjoys ice fishing, and has since about age 2.
I am guessing in a short 2 years they will have come out with an FL32 that will give hand jobs when the fishing is slow...haha
Juanr, does the boss let you huff gold paint while you are on the job?

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome! Thanks for all of the feed back! I went out and bought the FLX 28 ultra pack and will be taking it out this weekend, and by the sounds of it, I will not be disappointed!
Do Vexilar give you the option on what ice ducer you can get?

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 28 Unit has been good, like all the features but I wouldn't mind trying the tri beam. Would like to get away from the proviews issue with loss of bottom on steep drops, near weeds etc.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you guys with the proview ever thought to contact Vexilar and voice your disappointment with the proview. Vexilar has wonderful customer service and takes care of their customers needs.
Daredevildave had a post on FBO about vexilar tri beam.

"vexilar finally sent me a new pro view with the manual cone setting just like I asked. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow!"
34030783d840189b936d9dda8909617a.jpg

http://www.fishingbuddy.com/new-transducer

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87