Red River Sewage

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=1]Five million litres of raw sewage leaked into Red River[/h]Andrea Slobodian , CTV Winnipeg
Published Wednesday, January 20, 2016 10:23PM CST
Last Updated Thursday, January 21, 2016 6:36PM CST
facebook-icon.png

twitter-icon.png

google-icon.png

reddit-icon.png

share-icon.png

The City of Winnipeg is reporting a sewage leak that sent up to five million litres of untreated waste into the Red River over the course of nine days.
Craig Tulloch has a home on Glenwood Crescent that backs onto the river.
He said, on Saturday morning, he went to the backyard and noticed open water near the outflow pipe on the river, something he thought to be very unusual as it was very cold that morning.
He said he went down to the riverbank and even drove across bridge and to the park to get a closer look. Tulloch said that’s when he saw what looked like dirty water that had a film on it and a smell coming from it.
He said the smell continued onto Monday night, when he noticed an odour in his home. Tulloch said he cleaned out all the garbages just in case the smell could be coming from them.
By Tuesday morning the odour was still there, and according to Tulloch, it was much stronger and much worse. He said before he went to work, he took a trip down to the riverbank and noticed an extremely strong odour.
That is when Tulloch called 311, more than once, to confirm the city was sending someone out to investigate.
The city confirmed it received an inquiry about a “strong sewage smell” near St. John’s Park on Tues., Jan. 19, at 10:23 a.m.
Instruments on site indicated the blockage may have been in place as of noon on January 10.
A city crew found lumber partially blocking the opening of the diversion chamber, located upstream from the combined sewer outfall at 1 Fowler Street.
Crews removed the lumber at 1:35 p.m. and restored full flow.
Typically, the diversion chamber directs dry weather flow to the treatment facility and allows rain to overflow into the river. In this case, the blockage sent untreated flow into the river.
The city said the incident did not trigger an overflow alarm as those are not set up to detect blockages in the openings of chambers, only within.
The city has reported the incident to the Manitoba Conservation Accident Reporting line.
The province said it will be following up with regards to the incident.

- - - Updated - - -

That's 1.3 million gallons. ;:;boozer;:;barf;:;barf;:;barf;:;barf;:;barf;:;barf;:;barf

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
It made my decision easier to buy the conservation tag, that's for sure.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
It will mix in nicely with the shit water from Fargo and Grand Forks.:;:stirthepot:;:smokin

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha.
Maybe it's like chum, and them greenies will have superpowers

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder how many gallons of untreated cow, horse, deer, pig, and bird poo flow into the red river every 9 days?? I would venture a guess that over the entire length of the red river and it's tributaries for a 365 day period, the number of gallons of untreated poo flowing into that river would be staggering. However, I doubt there would be any headlines about it.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
at least the river water flows north and it is not a salt brine spill like you poor folks in western ND eesh

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys have apparently never been around a bean eating, beer drinking, deviled egg goblin sonofabitch like me, to think my shit and fish manure are even remotely equal....haha

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys have apparently never been around a bean eating, beer drinking, deviled egg goblin sonofabitch like me, to think my shit and fish manure are even remotely equal....haha

But fish eat raw fish AND worms AND leeches. EEEWWWWWW!!!

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your poo doesn't scare us. You think you got the market cornered on robust poo? Pffttt...

Mrs johnr says I'm the best...haha, cleared out a dinner table at Christmas years back, and they have grown more potent with age like a fine brandy, and that's just the gas, not even talking the real McCoy

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member

Haven't been around your particular talents, but I spent some quality time confined with 132 of the US's finest warriors who ate nothing but MRE's, tobasco sauce, water, and afghanistan dirt for 16 days in a 300 X 300 ft compound. Rotgut doesn't even come close.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now I know why/how the walleyes in Winnipeg get that glowing greenback color

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you guys watch that hot pickled egg vid I posted? That is a man with solid gold brass balls.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76