Heckers Lake (Sheridan)

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone know much about this lake, or other canal lakes? I've never made the trip down to them, but am thinking about giving it a try today.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know the layout of this lake very well. Have only ice fished it a handful of times with not much success but have done great during the summer at times, mostly many years ago. My guess is you can expect very clear water. And if you plan on driving on the ice, stay away from both the east and west sides where they narrow down to the canal as the ice generally gets thin because of a slight current.

Lostlunker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never had good luck ice fishing Heckers but I've done fairly well on West/East Park lakes. Like Sluggo said be careful around the canals even when walking I've seen the ice get pretty thin where it gets narrow.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have heard of some nice fish out of there in the summer; tried it once in June and was already quite weedy due to gin clear water. Could see the bottom crystal clear in 12+ feet of water. Caught some small northerns and a few bass was about it.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
New Johns is about 13 to 15 inches, water is crystal clear. Can see the bottom in 23 feet of water. Never fished heckers much so not sure how it would be.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like most I fish them allot in the summer but not much in the winter. Fished heckers at first ice back in the 90's and caught a ton of 6 inch perch and 10 inch walleyes. Lime was said its super clear so can be allot of fun to sight fish. For the guys who have hit west and east park in the winter how good is the visibility in those. Oh and you may want to try the canal west of west park. It's still damed off and only half full so if the fish are still alive they may be quite hungry.

Lostlunker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh and you may want to try the canal west of west park. It's still damed off and only half full so if the fish are still alive they may be quite hungry.

I would be extra careful around either side of the dam/bridge right there, there was still open water there about 2 weeks ago.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure I thought maybe they put a drainage pipe under the bridge there.

If they did it would have had to been put in after it froze since it was still way low around Thanksgiving. They used pumps to lower it during the summer. Deffently be worth checking out since if it can mess up the ice that bad its likely to attract fish.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
To bad they didnt open that up for the winter. Im sure all the fish in there will winter kill by spring.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
You mean the ones that didn't summer kill? Lol it was only four feet deep most of the summer you would have to think the water got pretty hot not to mention all the dirt that got stired up by all the riprap work.

Lostlunker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone know why they put a dam there in the first place? The West Park side was actually around 10 feet deep and was a pretty good fishing spot. I anchored my canoe there right in front of the dam a few times last summer and had good luck jigging for walleye and bass.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are ripraping the whole canal on that side so the had to lower the water level.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are ripraping the whole canal on that side so the had to lower the water level.

Plus they are rebuilding a chunk of the channel a mile or so west of the first bridge. They have the money now to rebuild the big collapse north of the second bridge but not sure if they will start on that this year or next. Not sure if they will leave the dam in when they do the big project but if they do its going to be a couple years.
Tell you one thing though when they were pumping it out last spring a guy could stand on it and absolutely slam the pike with a bobber and a smelt. It was weird because if you casted a spoon or crank they wouldn't touch it but a smelt would only last a few seconds. Buddy and I caught around 60 pike in a little over an hour....nothing over 10 but still a blast.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75