Building my first AR

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
So a buddy of mine talked me into building an AR. Sounds like fun! And now I'm totally overwhelmed. Doing it as cheap as I can, but don't want to buy shit parts. Is that possible?

Have the lower ordered (didn't get the 80 percent, just bought a finished one and went through FFL). Now I need to scrounge the parts.

Any suggestions on areas where it's OK to go cheaper, but where it might be better to fork over some extra dough?

I'm no marksman and plan to use this solely as a home-defense and coyote brush gun.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
quad rails are soooo 2008

- - - Updated - - -

and theyre uncomfortable and bulky

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
quad rails are soooo 2008

- - - Updated - - -

and theyre uncomfortable and bulky

Wags is right. The FIRST thing you should be worried about when buying/building a gun is being trendy and hip. Next is color coordination (on the gun) and then color coordination with your clothes because you'll just look ridiculous if your AR doesn't match your shoes. (C'mon brown shoes with black gun?! Puhleeese).

- - - Updated - - -

I've been thinking about that. Not too keen about dropping $400 at one pop, though. My plan was to buy it piecemeal over a few months, then put it together.

Well it would be the easiest but you could definitely deal shop over a few months and maybe even upgrade a few parts. I find Midway is usually pretty expensive but they do clearance stuff often.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wags is right. The FIRST thing you should be worried about when buying/building a gun is being trendy and hip. Next is color coordination (on the gun) and then color coordination with your clothes because you'll just look ridiculous if your AR doesn't match your shoes. (C'mon brown shoes with black gun?! Puhleeese).

#mallninjastatus

- - - Updated - - -

i wish i had the patience to build over time. When i make a decision i want the gun right meow

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
#mallninjastatus

- - - Updated - - -

i wish i had the patience to build over time. When i make a decision i want the gun right meow

I just like being careful with my money. I could drop the coin now, but you never know when something is going to come up. I can justify $50 here and $100 there.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Slim, if you're out there, what is the cheapest way to get into a piston driven system?

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
The best things to spend a little money on are the trigger and the barrel. Beyond that most parts don't make that much of a difference. An adjustable gas block is a nice feature to have as well.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't skimp on the barrel, handgaurd, and trigger. But you can always throw a different try trigger in later. Lots of options out there take the time to look at everything. Go to a gun shop handle their ARs see what you like and don't like. Take photos of what you like. The building is the easy part finding what you want to use is the tough part. Like a kid in a candy store. Then it get addicted pretty soon you have 10 or 15 ARs.

jr2280

Founding Member
Founding Member
PSA has good LPK's. As far as a complete build I do not put one together without a free float handguard but that is my preference. Trigger is something you can get cheap and replace with a real nice one down the road as with a LPK you can get the standard for about $10. Barrel,good trigger, handguard is where the $ is at. Its better to cry a little now spending for better parts than replacing the cheap ones later with the more expensive ones anyway just my $.02.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Troll "slickguns.com" daily. Ive found alot of great deals there. I have 3 uppers from jsesurplus.com and I'm thoroughly impressed.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Troll "slickguns.com" daily. Ive found alot of great deals there. I have 3 uppers from jsesurplus.com and I'm thoroughly impressed.

JSE Surplus got hit hard by a flood. Inventory is limited and shipping slow right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Because all the bitter-clingers are hoarding ARs right now, lower parts kits are out of stock just about everywhere. Midway has a partial LPK in stock for a good price: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/862947/ar-stoner-customizable-lower-receiver-parts-kit-ar-15

With this kit, you'll still need a grip+screw, trigger guard, and trigger/hammer/spring combo. I've got extra trigger guard and grip laying around. I can send them to you if you order this kit, then just buy a trigger when you get a chance.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be very careful. They have been known to jump off the shelf and start killing people for no apparent reason.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have some extra parts from mine that i'd sell cheap.....I boght a dpms and rennovated it to make it a coyote gun.. I have a 6 position collapsing stock, I also have a trigger that I believe is mil spec... also have a 16" dpms barrel with muzzle break... also have a rifle length carbon fiber fore end. let me know if your interested in any of it and we can figure out prices.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screw all of the gear queer stuff and go full retard on the trigger, as long as it's at least a 1:8 they all shoot well. Been there done that about 100,000 times in 24 years.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76