Help me learn. S&W M&P15

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
OK so I have acquired "actually won it in a raffle" a basic model S&W M&P15 sport.
Never owned or even ever shot an AR before, help me get started, not sure where to start on improvements or if it even needs them.
I want to shoot it a bit with the open sites to see if I like them or not, they seem pretty lame just looking through them.
Anything I HAVE to do before I even get started or is it a load it up and have fun gun?
Accurate to what distance in stock form with stock open sites?

Let me hear our opinions and helpful input.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Clean er up and yor good to go. You'll most likely gonna want to upgrade triggers down the road. Oh, by the way, congratulations on your new addiction. Ar's are truly like Pringle's.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Clean the factory grease out of it and go shooting wear ear plugs u will thank me later.

ISELLGUNS

Founding Member
Founding Member
OK so I have acquired "actually won it in a raffle" a basic model S&W M&P15 sport.
Never owned or even ever shot an AR before, help me get started, not sure where to start on improvements or if it even needs them.
I want to shoot it a bit with the open sites to see if I like them or not, they seem pretty lame just looking through them.
Anything I HAVE to do before I even get started or is it a load it up and have fun gun?
Accurate to what distance in stock form with stock open sites?

Let me hear our opinions and helpful input.

How do you win a rifle? I need pointers!

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
First time I have ever won anything of use and of some value in my life, I figure I just broke even now with all the raffle tickets I have bought over the last 20+ years.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great rifle for the price!! :)

S&W makes a pretty good AR. I believe the "sport" model lacks a forward assist, but that'd be about my only gripe. I REALLY love nitride/melonite barrels. Here are your first steps:

1. Buy a $h!tload of ammo. So much it hurts your back to think about it. Stay away from TulAmmo.
2. Buy a pile of magazines that could dam a river. Most websites sell Magpul mags cheap when you buy them 10 at a time, usually like 10/$90. Magpul mags are best mags for the money, bar none.
3. Lasers. You're going to need a lot of lasers. (Just kidding... unless you really want lasers, then go buy lasers.)
4. Watch YouTube. All of it. There are more AR videos than there are cat videos. Useful topics include: do-it-yourself trigger job, AR animation, 5.56 ballistic testing, AR coyote hunting.
5. Krylon spray paint - it ain't yours unless you spray paint it to match your truck. You want it to match the INTERIOR of your truck so it's less likely to stand out when you stick it out the window.

This should keep you busy for awhile.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great rifle for the price!! :)

S&W makes a pretty good AR. I believe the "sport" model lacks a forward assist, but that'd be about my only gripe. I REALLY love nitride/melonite barrels. Here are your first steps:

1. Buy a $h!tload of ammo. So much it hurts your back to think about it. Stay away from TulAmmo.
2. Buy a pile of magazines that could dam a river. Most websites sell Magpul mags cheap when you buy them 10 at a time, usually like 10/$90. Magpul mags are best mags for the money, bar none.
3. Lasers. You're going to need a lot of lasers. (Just kidding... unless you really want lasers, then go buy lasers.)
4. Watch YouTube. All of it. There are more AR videos than there are cat videos. Useful topics include: do-it-yourself trigger job, AR animation, 5.56 ballistic testing, AR coyote hunting.
5. Krylon spray paint - it ain't yours unless you spray paint it to match your truck. You want it to match the INTERIOR of your truck so it's less likely to stand out when you stick it out the window.

This should keep you busy for awhile.

You forgot "throw it down the driveway" to break it in.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67