how to clean reels...

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
the reel oil got me thinking...

i have 4 pfluger baitcasters that are bout 10 years old... have never had them apart or even cleaned or oiled them as they work flawlessly... but maybe it's time...

what do you guys do to clean them???

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take them put in to a water bath and spray with compressed air on them repeat if desired. Use hot sauce sparingly because a lot goes a long way. Wipe off excess oil is a must or attract unwanted dirt.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If things are still working "good as new" refrain from "fix it 'til it's broke".

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've tried numerous chemicals on reels. Some are very tough on the plastic and anodizing. Suspension clean is the perfect thing. I use it for cleaning suspension components on motorcycles. will not harm anodizing or plastic and dissolves grease and oil, etc. Cheap too. Smell is very pleasant also. Have started using it on my guns also. Does not leave a film either.
http://www.motosport.com/maxima-suspension-clean-professional-formula

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go on youtube before you take some of these suggestions to heart. Cleaning a baitcaster requires attention to certain parts only. And light oil on very specific parts. I'd steer away from water submersion and compressed air.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go on youtube before you take some of these suggestions to heart. Cleaning a baitcaster requires attention to certain parts only. And light oil on very specific parts. I'd steer away from water submersion and compressed air.

See Sum they are using water HMMMMMM

- - - Updated - - -

imgbearingstwo10.jpg

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Amateurs.

- - - Updated - - -

Im thinking the reason his reel malfunctioned was due to his cleaning method.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
This guy is in the Bay Area where we spend our winters (and have lived for the past 35 years) and is a real pro at reel cleaning/re-building/repair and has lots of tutorials on reconditioning reels and sells parts for rebuilding reels. Granted, his stuff in mainly geared to salt water gear, but not all of it and lots of his suggestions apply to all reels … fresh or salt water use.

http://alantani.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=7tnn8mf4p7j6sh9madoelni043&

Steve.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm with SDMF on this one. Wait until they gum up or otherwise start to fail before disassembling a reel. If you must, then I would look for a tutorial on your EXACT reel or call the manufacturer. Reels have small gears, bushings, gaskets, and bearings that if not put back together properly or cleaned with the wrong stuff will ensure you need a new reel rather than give you back your old one in working order. I've wrecked enough reels to know when I'm out gunned and ask for help. Good Luck!! I hope your reel cleaning skills are superior to mine.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not hard to take the reels apart. Getting them back together is another story.

fishhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dunking them in the lake and swishing them around seemed to keep Zebcos working forever....

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dunking them in the lake and swishing them around seemed to keep Zebcos working forever....

Yup, guilty , The plastic ones had built in sensors. when they got louder that the person next to you talking you dunked them. I still have my dads coveted 600 or 606 , The only piece of fishing equipment that was off limits to me. Pa has been gone for 16 years and I still don't use it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74