Ice fishing devils lake

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have never ice fished devils lake and am hoping to get there sometime this winter. I am wondering where I could get into some pike (we plan on keeping them) and walleye or perch while we are waiting for flags. I am hoping to walk out. Not looking for someone's honey hole unless you want to share it;)

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pikes can and will be found just about anywhere on that lake. In a couple weeks here the pike will begin to build up near where water comes in on the channels and small creeks and in the back ends of the bays. Find a nice flat in these areas and often the flags will be a flying. Don't want to drive out?

Last edited:

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the info. I want to wait until we get more ice to drive. I'm not comfortable until theres about 20 inches all over. Just a personal preference I guess.

gatorbaiter

Founding Member
Founding Member
the west side about half way up, of Lake Irvine about ten miles north west of Devils is a great area for pike.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gatorbait are you sconi, because it seems the only time you come on NDA is to find out where all the fishing stops are in Devils Lake without actually doing your own footwork.

gatorbaiter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha, Ha, nope. My problem is I love fishing the Devils lake area but I live several hours away and I don't have any friends living close to the lake. So if I want to find out any conditions such as ice depth or clarity I ask all the friendly fellows on Nodak Angler. The bait shops and online reports are very hit or miss. I only get the chance to go ice fishing out there a few times a year so I try to do some figuring ahead of time so I dont have to spend half my day running around after hours of driving. That lake is huge and I've fished it from Jerusalem Bay to the coulees above Irvine over the years and still only have a few reliable spots. Often wished I lived closer so I could try more spots and spend more time out there but job and family make that impossible.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Locals are now trying to preserve the pike populations?? Wtfk. Footwork? Seriously? Last time I looked gf wants the pike out especially the nw part of the lake. Creel study guys made that clear every time a guy left pelly wo any pike in the well. I will say one thing on ice carefully on the shallow stuff. Had someone drop in on alice ethics wknd. Luckily the truck was undamaged but it did not crawl out on its own

- - - Updated - - -

This weekend

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Locals are now trying to preserve the pike populations?? Wtfk. Footwork? Seriously? Last time I looked gf wants the pike out especially the nw part of the lake. Creel study guys made that clear every time a guy left pelly wo any pike in the well. I will say one thing on ice carefully on the shallow stuff. Had someone drop in on alice ethics wknd. Luckily the truck was undamaged but it did not crawl out on its own

- - - Updated - - -

This weekend

was this on/near a pressure ridge?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha, Ha, nope. My problem is I love fishing the Devils lake area but I live several hours away and I don't have any friends living close to the lake. So if I want to find out any conditions such as ice depth or clarity I ask all the friendly fellows on Nodak Angler. The bait shops and online reports are very hit or miss. I only get the chance to go ice fishing out there a few times a year so I try to do some figuring ahead of time so I dont have to spend half my day running around after hours of driving. That lake is huge and I've fished it from Jerusalem Bay to the coulees above Irvine over the years and still only have a few reliable spots. Often wished I lived closer so I could try more spots and spend more time out there but job and family make that impossible.

Ok so if your in North East ND how can you be several hours away? Hell that's about how long it takes to get there from bowmen!

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
After reading a couple of the responses I'm second-guessing my thought of asking what part of the lake I could take my permanent out on. I was hoping to take my 2 daughters to Lake of the Woods for a long weekend but kids have taken a lot of sick days from school so I was thinking of maybe running to Devils Lake for a shorter drive. Biggest priority is safety of the ice(obviously no ice is ever 100% safe) as I want to make sure my girls return home safely. Second, I'd love to get them on some decent fishing. I've had them out in the portable over the past few years and they enjoy it and now that I have a permanent I'd like to get them hooked so we can make memories for years to come. I'd do my own legwork but being 3 hrs away makes that impossible. Looking at mid-February. FYI, have a 3/4 ton diesel and 4000 lb permanent so looking for good thick ice. I do have access to a 4wheeler to pull the house out onto the lake.

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
After reading a couple of the responses I'm second-guessing my thought of asking what part of the lake I could take my permanent out on. I was hoping to take my 2 daughters to Lake of the Woods for a long weekend but kids have taken a lot of sick days from school so I was thinking of maybe running to Devils Lake for a shorter drive. Biggest priority is safety of the ice(obviously no ice is ever 100% safe) as I want to make sure my girls return home safely. Second, I'd love to get them on some decent fishing. I've had them out in the portable over the past few years and they enjoy it and now that I have a permanent I'd like to get them hooked so we can make memories for years to come. I'd do my own legwork but being 3 hrs away makes that impossible. Looking at mid-February. FYI, have a 3/4 ton diesel and 4000 lb permanent so looking for good thick ice. I do have access to a 4wheeler to pull the house out onto the lake.
Let us know how it goes!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 153
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86