Auger Blade Bolts

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stripped out one of the soft crappy bolts that attaches the blade to the flighting on my strikemaster lazer. First 3 came out no prob. Had to put on the chipper flighting for the weekend since I can't get the bolt off after trying almost everything short of welding on a larger nut to get the bolt out. Anyone have any creative solutions? Side note: I forgot how rough the chipper cuts compared to a sharp set of lazer blades! Side side note: advice regarding buying a Jiffy will be referred to the group I drilled holes for this weekend that couldn't get their new Jiffy started in 40 degree weather

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you break the head of the bolt off? Either way heat the bolt up red hot and as it cools(just as the red fades)use a candle on the bolt and threads. The wax will wick down into the threads and the bolt should come out. Depending on how stuck it is you may have to repeat the process.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks fella! To the garage. Hope the lady didn't need this stupid expensive Yankee candle for anything special

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks fella! To the garage. Hope the lady didn't need this stupid expensive Yankee candle for anything special

Forgot to add try not to heat the area around the bolt to much. Bet your garage is going to smell nice when your done.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member

I would call superintendent of schools Kristin Beasler she prolly has an idea on what to use Yankee candles for..... Oh wait she just chucks them at people in an alcoholic fit of rage.

Did is this trick work? Just curious

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you can fit a grinder in there that works too. I have had to grind the head/nut of a bolt or two here and there.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
what lunker said

I have also had success drilling it out then cutting a standard screwdriver slot with a dremel

drilling it out takes the "pressure" off the threads. But sometimes the easy-out puts outward pressure back on the threads as it worms its way down and in - while the screwdriver slot doesn't

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
what lunker said

I have also had success drilling it out then cutting a standard screwdriver slot with a dremel

drilling it out takes the "pressure" off the threads. But sometimes the easy-out puts outward pressure back on the threads as it worms its way down and in - while the screwdriver slot doesn't
4pc-font-b-Screw-b-font-font-b-Extractor-b-font-Drill-Guide-Set-Removal-Broken.jpg

These work well for removing smaller screws as well.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If there is still a buggered allen head you can drill sideways through the head and slide an allen wrench or similar strong thin "peg" through the hole and torque that.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Success! Simply heating it up and cranking down with a vice grip did the trick. I then proceeded to burn my hand on the red hot blade like the bad guy in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Luckily I had several 12 ounce hand cooling units on standby. Thanks for all the advice fellas

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75