Odd fly fishing question

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went fly fishing on the Bighorn in Montana on Friday and had a great time.
I'm trying to figure out a way to catch carp on Sakakawea when I go home in the summer time.
Anyone try this before, if so what kind of flies have you used. Odd question, but I thought I'd ask!

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fly selection is trumped by stealth and the right fish 10 out of 10 times. Yes the right fly helps, but finding an actively feeding (aka not loafing or cruising fish, think face in the mud, tail up) drastically increases odds of a take.

That said, my go to patterns are anything with bead chain eyes that rides hook up and gives the general representation of a juvie crayfish, insect larva, leech, etc. Think bonefish flies with more rubber legs and marabou.

Lastly, big carp put every trout that swims to shame when it comes to the fight. I've been fly fishing since I was 9 and I'm dangerously close to giving up trout all together. Carp are everywhere. Carp get large. And carp pull like a 3/4 ton truck. Anything above a 6 weight will work, but my rig of choice is an 8 weight with a saltwater reel and a spool of general purpose trout line in the matching weight. Distance is not a factor. Stealth is the key. When you're not slinging arrows or stinky bait, carp get real spooky. And will alert all their buds that something is up, shutting down the bite for a good stretch of water. A flouro leader in 3x will handle most ND fish well. And don't forget the cottonwood hatch! Catching a 15lb golden ghost on a white dry fly is pretty intense

Last edited:

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Above response is spot on. Do a Google search for Carp flies. Selection isn't critical, stealth is. I always thought those carp I saw cruising in the boat would be easy. They're not. Gotta find shallow, feeding fish. Then be STEALTHY! Fun, maxed out a 6 wt. a few times.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've fished for them a couple of times. I used a scud. Worked well but I wasn't able to get any in. All broke my line. I was set up more for smaller fish.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my opinion hook riding up is SUPER important for carp. Yea, you can catch them otherwise, but a hook riding high will hook you more fish than not - just think about their anatomy for a second and it will make complete sense. The John Montana Hybrid carp fly is a good place to start. As stated before these fish are no 16-20in rainbows or browns. I would go no less than a 7 weight - floating line, leader can be straight 15 lb fluoro if you want. Doesn't need to be tapered.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
image1.jpg
Just like everyone is saying. Beadchains. Hook riding up. Lots of rubber legs, marabou, and wiggle dub dubbing. And if you can find them, Gaper hooks by Scorpion are the strongest wide gap short shank hooks I've been able to find

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see, they skim along smoothly rather than hopping about.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those are jigs.
If you can cast one more than 10 feet with your lightest spinning gear, I'll buy you a beverage. But the name matters not. Jig, fly, nymph, etc. It rides hook up to keep it out of the mud. And they catch feeding carp. I'll call them anything, so long as they keep hooking 20lb reel burners for me

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fly carpin has nailed it.

How was the fishing on the Bighorn? What stretch of the river did you fish?

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup, they are jigs with a more acceptable name. Just like strike indicators are bobbers with a nicer name. We fly fishermen are a sensitive lot, and don't like our no-end-to-it stuff to share a name with a lowly pan fisherman.
By the way, weighted nymphs are an excellent bait/lure/fly for pan fishing through a hole in the ice.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fly carpin has nailed it.

How was the fishing on the Bighorn? What stretch of the river did you fish?

it was awesome!! had a great time. We went out of Mallards landing with the boat and inboard motor. We started where motors couldn't go any farther, and just hit the rifts on back down to the landing.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
it was awesome!! had a great time. We went out of Mallards landing with the boat and inboard motor. We started where motors couldn't go any farther, and just hit the rifts on back down to the landing.

Sounds like you floated Bighorn to Mallards. Where you throwing streamers? or nymphing?

I've been thinking about running over there this weekend if this weather holds.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56