What pound test for pike?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use 10 lb braid with a 10 lb floro leader for walleyes and have a BALL wrestling with the all to frequent pike that strike. However, pike are NOT the target. If I was specifically targeting pike, I would use 20 lb braid with a FLEXIBLE titanium leader that has GOOD ball bearing swivel components and a medium heavy 6 and 1/2 to 7 ft rod that has good flex in the terminal half with a strong backbone towards the handle. That being said, you may lose a few fish with this setup as my preferences lean toward the lighter side of the tackle spectrum as I enjoy the battle a bit more than others. A 20 lb pike will push this arrangement to the limit if you are fishing much beyond sparse weeds and get into reeds, wood, or rocks. Good Luck!!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are strictly targeting pike, you might as well do 20 lb test and a similar leader like the invisi leaders.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
It all depends for me. If I'm targeting pike I use a bait caster with 30lb PP. Most of the time however it is my med light rod with 10lb PP and a 8lb floro leader when fishing for eyes.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
20LB Power pro with the steel leader of your choice. if the water is clear and the pike are finicky I'll go with fluorocarbon leaders in the 10 to 20 lb range with circle hooks, or if I'm casting lures I'll make 30lb fluoro leaders.

HolePuncher

Pike are easy on the know how to catch. Like KDM was saying use strong leaders. Not them cheap black leaders you can buy from wal mart. A nice heavy duty rod that you can care for but in reality you don't appreciate it. Not like that expensive walleye or perch rod. Other than that bigger the bait bigger fish you prolly will get. Me personally I like to use big baits and just load up the hooks with minnow galore. Just to get that nice wiggle action. That's what I use and do.

Chuckmain

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome info guys thanks a lot. Im going to use 20# power pro, moss green, with i think its a 18#- 12" leader. President reel on a 32" st. Croix medium rod(thats the heaviest rod i own right now). Thinking a big perch colered buckshot(1/2oz i think) or just a treble hook through the belly of a frozen smelt.

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome info guys thanks a lot. Im going to use 20# power pro, moss green, with i think its a 18#- 12" leader. President reel on a 32" st. Croix medium rod(thats the heaviest rod i own right now). Thinking a big perch colered buckshot(1/2oz i think) or just a treble hook through the belly of a frozen smelt.

You'll definitely have no trouble catching em with either setup. Tight lines.

bowcarp

Founding Member
Founding Member
for a leader material under the tip - up's with hotdogs or smelt I've had good luck with this , tip ups are spooled with 20# dacron
200209_ts.jpg

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm still old school through the ice. 20-30# dacron. Tie directly to a ball bearing swivel with interlock snap. Treble based on size of smelt used or fish being targeted. One treble through the middle of a thawed out smelt, hook up to the interlock snap and hang on.
One bait just under the ice, one 2-3 feet off the bottom and one in between.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76