Which Leupold VX-6 ?

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m looking at replacing my sufficient but boring Nikon Monarch 4-12x44 with a Leupold VX-6.

This will be on my AR-10 in 243 Win. I use it to shoot deer, coyotes, and targets.
I’ve already decided on the Leupold vx-6, so don’t say “you should get other brand x”.
What I can’t decide is the magnification. Should I get the 3-18 x50, or the 4-24 x52? -- Don't care about the price difference.
I think it would be sweet to go up to 24 power for long range (500+ yards) targets, and the occasional yote that hangs up, but having the 3x on the low side would give a wider field of view for those yotes that occasionally come out of nowhere and into your lap.
Anyone have any first-hand experience with either of these? I can’t even seem to get my hands on a vx-6 in the Fargo area…

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 2-12 VX-6 that I use on a .270. Excellent scope. Very clear and relatively light. I haven't had any experience with the higher magnifications but when I was researching them the reviews seemed to be positive. When I was putting a new scope on my AR I had a long debate with myself on the VX-6 4-24 or the Burris XTR II 5-25 and ended up going with the Burris mainly because I found one for a really good price and I liked the first focal plane on it. I'm planning on buying a .300 win mag this summer and will probably put another VX-6 on it. I guess I didn't add much to your question so I'll say this, I think they are very good scopes. If I was deciding between the two you mentioned I'd go with the 4-24. The difference between the 3 and 4 power on the low end is not that great but the difference between 18 and 24 on the top end is significant for really long shots.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
...The difference between the 3 and 4 power on the low end is not that great but the difference between 18 and 24 on the top end is significant for really long shots.

I've got a 4-24x. My experience with optics, particularly this scope, is limited. I could read a book at 300 yards with it. However, I wonder if it's worth the limited FOV with the 24x.

For example, you're glassing a herd of deer at 500-800 yds. If I've got TMOA reticle and using hash marks to range distance, I have to have that scope cranked all the way up. At 18x, I have a much wider FOV than with 24x. I can see a lot more at a lower magnification and still use the reticle hashes to gauge distance. It sucks to see a guy squeezing off on a deer and not see the doe being chased into the line of fire by a rutting doe. (I've seen it happen but again, my scenario is based on hypothesis and I haven't regretted the 24x.)

it's been awhile since I've shot a deer with more than 4x, so I might be the wrong guy to ask.

2. Build Quality
3. Lightweight!!
4. Capped turrets
5. Size
6. Ergonomics

Dislikes:
1. I dunno, I guess reticle could be finer, but not bad.
2. Sometimes wish it was front focal plane

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Slim.
While gauging distance with a reticle is interesting, I imagine I'm too OCD to rely on that instead of my range finder.
I'm looking into your PM.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a 4-24x. My experience with optics, particularly this scope, is limited. I could read a book at 300 yards with it. However, I wonder if it's worth the limited FOV with the 24x.

For example, you're glassing a herd of deer at 500-800 yds. If I've got TMOA reticle and using hash marks to range distance, I have to have that scope cranked all the way up. At 18x, I have a much wider FOV than with 24x. I can see a lot more at a lower magnification and still use the reticle hashes to gauge distance. It sucks to see a guy squeezing off on a deer and not see the doe being chased into the line of fire by a rutting doe. (I've seen it happen but again, my scenario is based on hypothesis and I haven't regretted the 24x.)

it's been awhile since I've shot a deer with more than 4x, so I might be the wrong guy to ask.

2. Build Quality
3. Lightweight!!
4. Capped turrets
5. Size
6. Ergonomics

Dislikes:
1. I dunno, I guess reticle could be finer, but not bad.
2. Sometimes wish it was front focal plane

Very valid observations. That's why I actually have the 2-12 on the .270. I put the 5-25 Burris on the AR because I'm using it primarily for predators and prairie dogs so field of view on those animals are not as big of a concern. If the Leupolds were first focal plane I certainly would have bought on instead. One big disservice optics companies have done in my opinion is not explaining to people that dots or hashes on second focal plane scopes for bullet drop or range estimation are only valid at a single power on the scope - usually the highest one. I think the majority of people believe that these are accurate regardless of which power their scope is on.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
On an ar 10 i would go 2-12x42. The 6 times zoom gives you 12 power with a very wide field of view. Also a red dot is available and a must on that gun. On my .22-250 i have shot out to 800 plus with my 2-12x42 vx-6. At 500 yards 12 power is more than plenty of power. IMO higher power scopes are for bench guns.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very valid observations. That's why I actually have the 2-12 on the .270. I put the 5-25 Burris on the AR because I'm using it primarily for predators and prairie dogs so field of view on those animals are not as big of a concern. If the Leupolds were first focal plane I certainly would have bought on instead. One big disservice optics companies have done in my opinion is not explaining to people that dots or hashes on second focal plane scopes for bullet drop or range estimation are only valid at a single power on the scope - usually the highest one. I think the majority of people believe that these are accurate regardless of which power their scope is on.

Yup. Theoretically, a guy could come up with a conversion table that incorporates distance between hashes, magnification, and turret adjustments, then mark it off on his scope. Most scope magnification adjustment power markings aren't precise enough to just crank it down from 24x to 12x and "double it." you'd have to print and erect a precisely measured guide and post it at exactly 100 yds/meters and line up the hashes on the reticle with the precisely measured markings on the reference chart 100 yds away, then back off your scope power and mark your magnification adjustment ring at exactly the right spot. That's a bit of work and requires too much conversion. Way too much room for human error.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Personally i would run the 6-24 but that is what i am used to on my comp/hunting gun. Difference being it is ffp and at 6 the reticle is a cross hair and has worked good for as close as 20 yards. but i could go 3-18 and not feel disadvantaged at all acctually think next scope will be of the 3-18 variety

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wrapping this one up. Thanks to Slim, I'm convinced I need the 4-24 x 52.
Just waiting for Scheels to have another one of their card member weeks so I can get 5 points per dollar on it.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
A quick google search yields prices that Scheels can't come close to.

http://universalmania.com/leupold-v...moa-reticle/?gclid=CNmHlNnemssCFYomhgodO0UD-w

normally I'd suggest you hold out for a used model because resale is poor on optics, but I've yet to see a used 4-24x VX-6 for sale. I've seen one used 3-18x with the Boone reticle and a 2-12x duplex.

- - - Updated - - -

3-18x with the illuminated TMOA reticle for under $1k shipped. That's a heck of a deal.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=541861793

- - - Updated - - -

Dang it, now I want a 3-18x. Comes in both 44mm and 50mm for around $1k.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seen a bunch of vx6 in a bunch of different flavors for sale on snipershide and long range hunting. There have been a few on rokslide to.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm hoping to find one on sale somewhere and have Scheels do a price match. They've been very good about that in the past. -- But I am keeping my options open.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79