tip up fishing for walleye

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many of you put tipups out for eyes? I have had pretty good luck the last two years rigging up a fathead (or shiner in MN) on a red hook and a 5 or 6lb leader. I am not getting size on my flags though, looking to try something new; maybe a small treble with three minnows or something. Any suggestions?

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many of you put tipups out for eyes? I have had pretty good luck the last two years rigging up a fathead (or shiner in MN) on a red hook and a 5 or 6lb leader. I am not getting size on my flags though, looking to try something new; maybe a small treble with three minnows or something. Any suggestions?

That's pretty much what I do. I treat flags like dead sticks, so whatever is working in the shack usually performs on the flag.

I do go for finesse more on the tip-up, though. Usually a larger splitshot above a barrel swivel, then a leader of floro with a couple dainty split shots just to keep the minnow in the kill zone. It was enough to get a few dinks last weekend on a MN lake with my 2-year-old. Couldn't believe they even had the force required to trip the lever!

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been putting 2 tip ups rigged for walleyes (barrel swivel, flouro leader, split shot and plain hook with or without a glow bead) outside of the portable for at least 10 years. I can count the number of fish I've caught on one hand. And that includes nights we slayed 'em in the house. Man I suck at tip up walleye fishing

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I to use tip ups for targeting walleyes in water as deep as 20', the use of the hook set tip up makes it possible to have better success.

bannerImage.jpg

http://www.hooksettipup.com/

Last edited:

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know we've all discussed this at great length, but are the auto hooksetters legal in ND? Per the regs, "It is illegal to fish with any spring, lever, chemically,electrically, or mechanically actuated hook at any time."

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been putting 2 tip ups rigged for walleyes (barrel swivel, flouro leader, split shot and plain hook with or without a glow bead) outside of the portable for at least 10 years. I can count the number of fish I've caught on one hand. And that includes nights we slayed 'em in the house. Man I suck at tip up walleye fishing

I have the same luck as you. It's easier for me to just have a dead stick and a bobber. If I fished with four lines all the time, I wouldn't be jigging, which is the funnest part of fishing anyway. Having to run around and check tip ups is darn near torture for me.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
fishing in a buddies permanent a couple weeks ago, we caught most of our bigger walleyes on tipups at night (first time for me in ND). We figured the fish were steering clear of the commotion and the lights in the ice house. We used #5 vmc treble hook with the biggest fathead we could find, or two normal sized fatheads.

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've fished walleyes with tip ups for many years with very good success. I run 18 in, 10 or 15lb power pro leader to a small treble or ice jig. even catches perch. The power pro tends to survive the pike bites.

on an aside, does anyone have a dlvfd ticket that isn't going up for the fishing? The daughter wants to go up there and check out all the shenanigans. I just need to find a couple of tickets so we can get on the ice.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd help you out colonel, but I lost my damn ticket somewhere. Guess I'll have to stay home and wait for my name to be called for a door prize.

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd help you out colonel, but I lost my damn ticket somewhere. Guess I'll have to stay home and wait for my name to be called for a door prize.

I found one, now I just gotta find one more :)

- - - Updated - - -

I found one, now I just gotta find one more :)

Disregard....I have secured 2 tickets....yay!

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everytime I run tipups for eyes I end up having to keep 12 inch fish that gut hook themselves cause they don't trip the flag. I did get on a great perch bite one time on them and that was a blast.

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everytime I run tipups for eyes I end up having to keep 12 inch fish that gut hook themselves cause they don't trip the flag. I did get on a great perch bite one time on them and that was a blast.

It seems the treble doesn't have as much of a problem with swallowing the hook.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member

we had the same issue right away. Bigger hooks and bigger bait (way bigger) helped

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I to use tip ups for targeting walleyes in water as deep as 20', the use of the hook set tip up makes it possible to have better success.

Screenshot_20160902-143630.jpg

http://www.hooksettipup.com/

I own one of these. Never have caught a fish on it. I'm still trying though, mostly because everybody says that they don't work and I would like to prove them wrong. Its kinda a biotch to setup. If there is any blowing snow it freezes up the spring, making it useless.

On my tipups I run a fluro leader on a swivel with 2 split shots, a couple of beads, and a treble hook. Sometimes I put the split shots right on the bottom, and sometimes I run them about 6" off the bottom.

Now I see on the website for the Hook Set tip up they got bought out by HT Enterprises.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have to use or make the foam pad that works with tip up. Also have to make sure you spool the line the correct way. The foam pad works by keeping the tip up centered in the hole.

- - - Updated - - -

Also you need to fill the spool up to 1/4" which is a lot becuase the ones I use you can spool 300 yds for each. So I bought some gorilla tape and filled them up with tape first.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I use synthetic white grease on the metal parts

- - - Updated - - -

$_1.JPG

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have to use or make the foam pad that works with tip up. Also have to make sure you spool the line the correct way. The foam pad works by keeping the tip up centered in the hole.

- - - Updated - - -

Also you need to fill the spool up to 1/4" which is a lot becuase the ones I use you can spool 300 yds for each. So I bought some gorilla tape and filled them up with tape first.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I use synthetic white grease on the metal parts

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

So your saying there is a chance that this thing might work? What species have you caught with it?

bowcarp

Founding Member
Founding Member
we run crappie rigs under ours get bit off by the occasional gator but they treat us well for eyes and perch I set it to trigger as light as possible , if its windy I turn them so the wind is blowing the flag into the post cuts down on false flags

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77