Is the Animated Lure The Future Of Fishing? by Joe Cermele

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator

These days we've got fishfinders in our cell phones and smart bobbers that tell us when we get bit. I've always joked that it's all leading up to robotic lures that operate via wifi from a control on our wrist. No line. No rod. Just drop it in and steer it under that log. You'll see the bass eat on the screen. Well, my friends, the Animated Lure isn't quite that, but it's a huge step in the right direction. It's kind of like that eerie scene in "Terminator 2" when you see the robotic arm at the lab, and know its study will lead to the eventual undoing of mankind.

Best I can tell, the bobber houses the transmitter, which connects to the lure via a thin wire. The lure is programmed to swim like a dying baitfish, and I'd be a liar if I didn't say it looks so real it's spooky. You can see a better action shot of it by here:
clicking here.

Per the creators, it takes 15 minutes to charge by USB, and swims for 3 hours. Now, I certainly have unanswered questions, like how does it stop itself from twisting the wire, and what pound test is that wire? Can I drop this in front of a 40-pound striper? Interestingly, while you might think such a gadget would cost hundreds, you can pre-order one for a mere $25. Go ahead and get you one, but don't blame me when 10 years from now they become self aware and fish out every body of water on their own.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope, not the future. Several reasons why:

1. The first 2 lb pike will shred that thing.
2. Current will play havoc with the action.
3. Waves will yank that thing into oblivion.
4. 33 degree water isn't the same as a heated pool.
5. The first time you use it near reeds or wood......it's gone.
6. You'll need muskie tackle just to lob that contraption any distance.
7. The impact of that thing hitting the water won't do the electronics or mechanics any good.
8. The first string of weed in the joints of the lure will halt or disrupt the action and drain power.
9. I can buy lots of jigs for $25.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think mushkys would go after the float, interesting but I will wait till something else comes out that can be less prone to damage from big predators.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope, not the future. Several reasons why:

1. The first 2 lb pike will shred that thing.
2. Current will play havoc with the action.
3. Waves will yank that thing into oblivion.
4. 33 degree water isn't the same as a heated pool.
5. The first time you use it near reeds or wood......it's gone.
6. You'll need muskie tackle just to lob that contraption any distance.
7. The impact of that thing hitting the water won't do the electronics or mechanics any good.
8. The first string of weed in the joints of the lure will halt or disrupt the action and drain power.
9. I can buy lots of jigs for $25.

Except for the fact that 75% of what you just listed will undoubtedly be trouble shot out over time. The line is to obvious at this point and its going to snag its own cable after a short while. But the potential is huge and as they improve on it it will only get better unless they get banned.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
ban that POS

Thinking about it I think it would probably be vary difficult for most game and fish departments to do and over all they would have little reason to so. Most places this lure wouldn't be much different that the live bait they already alow. Up here it would be a big change due to our laws banning most any of the larger baits like suckers, bluegill and perch. But you go down south and this would probably not out produce a bluegill under a bobber. Be interested to see if they could make a shiner or smelt style one that could be rigged on a Lindy rig.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Except for the fact that 75% of what you just listed will undoubtedly be trouble shot out over time. The line is to obvious at this point and its going to snag its own cable after a short while. But the potential is huge and as they improve on it it will only get better unless they get banned.

It's cool and all, but IMHO I doubt they will be able to engineer that thing down so I could use it for walleyes with 10 lb pp and a floro leader for around 10 cents, which is what an 1/8th oz jig and plastic costs me. If they can, then maybe it has a chance with me.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now we're too damn lazy to twitch, reel, pump, waggle, or otherwise impart action to the lure?

what's next? stay at home on the couch and send Mr. Roboto out to fish while you watch in real time on the telly?

;:;banghead

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now we're too damn lazy to twitch, reel, pump, waggle, or otherwise impart action to the lure?

what's next? stay at home on the couch and send Mr. Roboto out to fish while you watch in real time on the telly?

Why fly a kite when you can just pop a pill

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member

So you don't ever use live bait on a dead stick or a Lindy rig in summer? Believe me I would much rather put on a four inch perch as bait but that's not an option here. Perhaps lures like this may eventually makes fishing with bait like that a possibility. For now it's just the world for swim baits but they don't come as close to the real deal as this already does.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was lying on the couch last night, and my glass of ice cold water was over on the end table, I shouted for my daughter, who was in the back room to come out into the family room for a minute. She comes out and says what do you want dad, I say, grab my glass of water over there and bring it to me, as she is bringing it over I suddenly realize that my tight fitting jeans might be caused by this very activity....haha
Yup, I am too lazy to jig a minnow:;:howdy

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was lying on the couch last night, and my glass of ice cold water was over on the end table, I shouted for my daughter, who was in the back room to come out into the family room for a minute. She comes out and says what do you want dad, I say, grab my glass of water over there and bring it to me, as she is bringing it over I suddenly realize that my tight fitting jeans might be caused by this very activity....haha
Yup, I am too lazy to jig a minnow:;:howdy

That's not laziness thats ingenuity. ;:;funnypost

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67