mexican vanilla

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am heading south of the boarder in a bit, I am curious on the amount of Mexican vanilla I should be trying to smuggle back. Is there a limit on this stuff, should I try using Mexican fed ex and just ship it back up.
any heads up on a group buy would be wonderful...

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of these should work fine...
maxresdefault.jpg

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
The more u bring back the more u can make might as well bring it back by the pound.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to Mexico next week, not bringing vanilla back. 2 one liter bottles of Kahlua! :;:rockit

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am down to my last bottle of beans soaking in rum. I would bring as much back as I could!

Last edited:

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am done to my last bottle of beans soaking in rum. I would bring as much back as I could!

- - - Updated - - -

I am down to my last bottle of beans soaking in rum. I would pack a suitcase full of I could.

This makes my mouth water, I am intrigued, please explain the process and the uses of Rum soaked Vanilla beans.:;:thumbsup

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ones we have are 12.5 oz with the old style locking caps with rubber gasket. 5 beans split lengthwise and placed into bottle and fill with alcohol to cover beans, let steep for several weeks, shake bottle every now and again and use as you would store bought vanilla. When bottle gets half full, refill and then use up. You can then take the beans and put into a container of sugar and it will flavor the sugar a bit- great in coffee.

Rum, vodka, bourbon all work, have used brandy too. Toss a bunch of split beans into a bottle of good rum and let it soak as above and enjoy vanilla rum and cokes, etc... I like using spiced rum, 20-30 beans in a 750ml bottle. The resulting vanilla spiced rum is great in drinks, in apple pie- the baked variety and the drink.

If you want to do this, you want beans that are moist, pliable and thick/bulky. Different varities have subtle differences. You might try ordering a bean or 2 of different varieties then ordering in bulk the one you like best. We like Madagascar and Mexican vanilla and have used Beanilla in the past with great results.

Last edited:

Gus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not again....��������. No.just no.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was a kid in Arizona, we used to go down to Nogalas and mom n grandma would buy a couple hundred pounds o sugar plus vanilla beans and other spices, chilies, etc... back in the 70s.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67