Spring Turkey Hunting

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wondering if anyone knows a farmer with a turkey problem. Being new to the state i'm unaware of any turkey hunting spots but love hunting the goofy birds and would appreciate any leads

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't help you out there but I can say that it seems like most ranchers will let you hunt turkeys as they don't like shit all over - especially their hay.

If it's a farmstead with no cattle - it can be hit and miss - some will let you and others won't because they are "their pets".

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Narrow your search a bit. Coming on an outdoor site and asking a bunch of hunters to give up their contacts probably won't help much. I'd first recommend a call to a local rancher and ask if he has had problems with turkeys in his bales. If not, ask him if he knows of anyone who has. Ranchers HATE turkeys as they tear the bales up over winter and make a general mess of things. They will generally tell you if they have turkey problems and if they don't, they may know another rancher that does. Another option is to look at the number of tags available and then call the game warden from the area you want to hunt. The warden should have a few ideas on who has had some issues. You can also call the county extension officer from the county you want to hunt. They work very close with the ag producers in the county. They might be able to give you some leads. Hope this helps. Good Luck!!

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks KDM those sound like excellent ideas. Ill be sure to post a picture if im lucky enough to take one

k9guy82

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I'm looking for some spots as well...fall turkey was a bust! Unit 25.....It was like they were there one day then the next day I went out...they were gone.

Flinger

Founding Member
Founding Member
U don't need a farmer if u live in the botno Area.... Take a drive up around the turtle mTns. Had no problem finding turkeys on public lands. Just get out and do some locator calls on the public land. Think one area was around strawberry lake.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are a lot of public land turkey opportunities for ND residents. There are eastern birds, merriams, and hybrids. The merriam and hybrids are west of the missouri.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75