SV'nSear Rib Roast

MossyMO

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sous Vide a small rib roast (4.25 lbs.) for 7 1/2 hours at 130º. First pic is of the SV'd roast vacuum sealed and the second pic is just out of the vacuum seal.

-----

[FONT=&quot]
-----

Seasoned the roast with Tatonka Dust.

-----

Set the roast directly over the Vortex for a fast sear on all sides while we had twice baked potatoes and shrimp in cast iron cooking indirect around the Vortex.

-----

Here is the roast after the sear.

-----

Then while the roast was resting made some garlic toast directly over the Vortex in a cast iron pan.

-----

The entire roast was evenly cooked to our preference... made for a heck of a excellent meal not to mention it should serve a few more meals of leftovers of prime rib on toast sandwiches!

Thanks for looking![/FONT]

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome!!!;:;bowdown Are you married??? I have a single daughter and I'll throw in a 2014 Ranger Boat, about 6 rifles, 3 shotguns, 4 pistols, lots of fishing gear. All you have to do is move to the NW Angle for the 4 summer months.

MossyMO

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome!!!;:;bowdown Are you married??? I have a single daughter and I'll throw in a 2014 Ranger Boat, about 6 rifles, 3 shotguns, 4 pistols, lots of fishing gear. All you have to do is move to the NW Angle for the 4 summer months.

Ha! I am very interested but first would like to see a picture of the boat... :)

U sir have a art. Look great.

Not really, but thanks. I don't post my mistakes, I eat them!

BUCK83

Founding Member
Founding Member
MO, what size Egg do you use? Ive been really interested in buying one but I'm not sure that I have the time or the "chops" to justify spending that kind of cash. Right now I do all my smoking out of a Cajun Injector electric smoker, I like the set it and forget it style but I know its about as far from true smoked food as you can get. I'm thinking of purchasing a Weber Smokey Mountain or just a Weber kettle rather than spend all the loot on BGE, do you have any opinions on either of those vessels?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
BGE is fairly easy to learn. I took notes for the 1st few months so I kind of figured out what the intake/outlet grates needed to be set at for a given temp. No big deal to go from a 700 degree + sear down to a ~300 degree indirect finish like you would for a steak or run a ~225-250 degree low/slow cook for hrs on end for beer can chickens or ribs.

Crankn

Founding Member
Founding Member
OK Mossy comming home from Puerto Villarta Wed.how can I resume my diet when you show me this? It does look great.:;:thumbsup

MossyMO

Founding Member
Founding Member
Excellent as usual, what was the final temp, ball park? 135-140ish?

Never checked the temp after the sear but the temp should have held at 130º, the sear was just hot and fast that I am guessing shouldn't have changed the internal meat temp.

MO, what size Egg do you use? Ive been really interested in buying one but I'm not sure that I have the time or the "chops" to justify spending that kind of cash. Right now I do all my smoking out of a Cajun Injector electric smoker, I like the set it and forget it style but I know its about as far from true smoked food as you can get. I'm thinking of purchasing a Weber Smokey Mountain or just a Weber kettle rather than spend all the loot on BGE, do you have any opinions on either of those vessels?

This meal was finished on a XL BGE, we also have a large BGE. Ceramic grills are excellent year around, even in North Dakota! Have a 22.5 WSM and also Weber kettle's, wife and I use them spring, summer and fall.

Nothing wrong with an electric smoker, your getting smoke to the food and operating it is basically set it and forget it!

A Weber kettle can do it all, learning the grill and the different accessories that are available for it the possibilities are endless. Where a kettle can lack is capacity and for me I can not work with it all winter long, my old bones just can't stand the cold like they use to. It all comes down to how much you want to budget for the grill/smoker and with most grills/smokers you get what you pay for.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70