New Pup

sbe2

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had to put my black lab down a few weeks ago at 12 years old he was very sick and not doing well and obviously suffering. It doesnt matter how many times you have to do that its always a tough time but was very happy I was able to get him out this fall for his last season and really enjoyed watching him work on what was his last season.

Well after that my kids have been after me to get a new puppy so made the plunge and picked him up this weekend and hopefully he will be ready to go this fall. here is a pic of him he is a red (dark yellow lab) and has a very nice personality.

Moose.JPG

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need another dog like i need another hole in the head but seeing that little guy sure makes me want another one. He is a beautiful little stud.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need another dog like i need another hole in the head but seeing that little guy sure makes me want another one. He is a beautiful little stud.

Exactly. Mine is only 3 months old and I almost want to get her a little buddy to play with.
IMG_0301.jpg

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know its rare to bob a labs tail, but it might be worth considering...:;:

sbe2

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are quite a few places to get good labs in ND, SD, and MN so the decision on where to get one can be rather intimidating but after doing some reading and talking with breeders i felt comfortable going with the people i went with and would recommend them to anyone.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Exactly. Mine is only 3 months old and I almost want to get her a little buddy to play with.

Definitely get your pup a buddy...after it's grown up and trained. Two young pups under less-than-strict guidance can quickly turn your household on its head. Much easier to get one dog squared away and then pick up a pup to "shadow" its well-mannered older sibling.

We have two wirehairs, and it was amazing how quickly the second dog picked up on what he was supposed to do by watching our older dog. And honestly, having a second dog really mellowed our first down a bit. He was always pretty mellow, but now he has a buddy to play with and be around.

And in the field....good NIGHT....I'll never hunt behind only one dog again. Roosters beware.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Definitely get your pup a buddy...after it's grown up and trained. Two young pups under less-than-strict guidance can quickly turn your household on its head. Much easier to get one dog squared away and then pick up a pup to "shadow" its well-mannered older sibling.

We have two wirehairs, and it was amazing how quickly the second dog picked up on what he was supposed to do by watching our older dog. And honestly, having a second dog really mellowed our first down a bit. He was always pretty mellow, but now he has a buddy to play with and be around.

And in the field....good NIGHT....I'll never hunt behind only one dog again. Roosters beware.

"IF" we get another dog I will wait until this one is a little older and trained. A coworker of mine did just what you described. Got the first pup trained and then got another one. She said the older dog has done the majority of the training of the young one.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would be fun to hunt behind two dogs but I cant imagine keep both in control with a lot of bird scent around. That seems like a nightmare. I would be the guy calling the wrong dog. Using past dog names in the heat of the moment. Yea I would be a wreck in no time. Nice looking dogs

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
What a sweet heart! looks can be diseving tho...lol I'm sure he has a lot of piss and vinegar in him. To bad you didn't have the new pup around whenthe older dog was still active,helps in training.I dread the day when my 3yr gets up in age and like you said its never easy when the day comes,after 40 years having retrievers I still get weak making the dicisionk,everyone has their own personality that welds to your soul.Congrats!

PS~ Family members remember to pick your shows up,put the tv remote up high and cover the garbage can tight.

sbe2

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah he has a lot pf piss and vinegar but also like to cuddle with the kids when they are laying on the floor playing so based on that and the fact that he is already retrieving to the hand I think that i might have a decent mix here of a good family and working dog. its kind of funny that you think you remember how much work a puppy is but until you are back into it you dont remember everything. So far he has been entertaining and a lot of fun.

I thought about getting one when my other lab was getting close to the end but just couldnt get myself to pull the trigger on another one.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would be fun to hunt behind two dogs but I cant imagine keep both in control with a lot of bird scent around. That seems like a nightmare. I would be the guy calling the wrong dog. Using past dog names in the heat of the moment. Yea I would be a wreck in no time. Nice looking dogs

It's doable and highly murderous on the ditch parrot population, even with more than two (that's a point-back-back-back for you non-pointy-dog fellers):

IMG_1574.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67