Bow Upgrade PSE? Bowtech?

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am thinking about upgrading bows. I love my X Force but after 4k-5k arrows and 3 sets of after market strings and cables I think it might be time to upgrade. My only complaints on my x force are cable life (serving frays near bottom cam) and a somewhat spongy backwall. I have narrowed my choices to: PSE Decree or Full Throttle, Bowtech RPM 360 or Carbon Overdrive. Lets hear some opinions, I may be open to other suggestions as well!

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
The design of PSE's with a cable draw stop usually means squishy backwall. Bowtech's should have a much more solid backwall due to a limb draw stop. I'm partial to Bowtech because that's what I have and work on so I understand them but nothing wrong with PSE.

Last edited:

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm looking for a new bow right now also and I'm strongly considering both Xpedition Archery, which is manufactured in Sioux Falls, SD and Prime. Both new companies but they seem to have very high quality products. Just trying to find a place to shoot both before I make a decision.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I actually used to shoot the RPM 360. Great bow, but it does draw pretty tough I think at higher poundage. I shot it for over a year at 70#'s and had to turn it down because my rotator cuffs in my shoulders started to hurt all the time. It is a great bow, lots of speed and pretty accurate for a speed bow.

I would also check out the Elite's. They make some quality stuff as well. Super smooth draw, solid back wall and a pleasure to shoot.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had to get a new bow a couple years ago due to someones sticky fingers. I had scheels bring me all their brands in the same price range and shot until I narrowed it down. It was basically a coin flip between the hoyt faktor turbo and the elite energy. Both shot very well, had a nice draw and valley, and zinged the arrow down range. The elite had a bit more vibration as compared to the hoyt so that is what I have now. I was a bowtech guy before that.

Founding Member
Founding Member
They pretty much all make darn nice bows now days. I like a smooth draw, solid back wall and fast. This Monster Chill R with 85% letoff rock mods is all that and more! :;:rockit

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
who handles elite? prime? xpedition?

That's the biggest problem with these bows, finding a dealer. I know there's an Xpedition dealer in Dickinson and I think the owner is a member of the forum. There's also a dealer in Sidney, MT. Scenic Sports in Williston carries Prime but they don't have much of a selection. There's also a dealer in Aberdeen, SD.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the idea of the Prime cam system but I have never handled one. Any first hand reviews?

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scheels handles the Elite line of bows. The new Impulse line looks pretty awesome. I will have to shoot one of those this spring.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up a new elite synergy this fall. It shoots like a dream. Very smooth draw and a solid back wall. Dead silent and zips my 502 grain arrows pretty well.

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up the new Halon. I know Mathews wasn't mentioned in the thread, just scratch the stickers off, replace them with whatever toots your horn, and shoot it once. Its an easy drawing, accurate speed bow. Make sure you shoot it before you spend big $$. Like someone said earlier, most all of the new bows are nice. They've come a LONG ways in the last 4-5 years.

Flinger

Founding Member
Founding Member
They pretty much all make darn nice bows now days. I like a smooth draw, solid back wall and fast. This Monster Chill R with 85% letoff rock mods is all that and more! :;:rockit

Keep in mind that I believe its Colorado and Montana have a 80% max let off. Just passing on the info because id hate to see an animal get taken from someone. You can get 75 and 65 mods for this bow.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I've heard great things about Elite but I hate saying that because I think you should, in part, forget about the brand name.
My recommendation is figure out what generally you are looking for.... find your price range, how much does speed matter to you (looking for something above say 340ibo?), axle to axle length..... I always go short cuz a few inches seems to matter especially in a ground blind but even around trees, available camo patterns (because if you're like my one buddy you gotta make sure you look cool I guess) easy switch draw lengths instead of new cam, and in part for me the size-width of the hand grip. These can be swapped out once purchased but not in store when testing.
When you have a good idea here you should be able to find 3 bows at Scheels in this range. Grab the bows and have the archery department change the draw length to your desired length. You will need to tell them you are purchasing one or you will meet some resistance here! Lol. If you are a new hunter know your DL before you go or many shops will tell you its 28"
Shoot all 3. Buy the one that feels most comfortable to you. If u need another day they will hold them.

Another thing as mentioned above, many prefer a solid back wall at end of the draw.
I know many people don't or won't do this but its my recommendation. Ive done this for me and friends several times.
I can't afford a new bow every other year, otherwise this probably wouldn't be as important. Just my advice.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, okay after rereading your post after I wrote all that, I see you got it narrowed down to 4 and have a good idea of what you want. Just shoot those 4 and pick the most comfortable. Hopefully that long post can help someone else. Lol.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to sell bows and run the archery dept at the Moorhead Scheels. The hardest thing to get people to do is disregard the manufacturer and shoot them all. I am not saying one is better than the other, I am saying one will fit you better than the rest! If you are in love with those four bows, I would...

#1 Shoot the four back to back with the same weight, ie. 70 lbs, and the same draw length, ie. 28"
Once a winner emerges
#2 Shoot every draw length within 1 to 1.5" of the length you think you are, ie. 27, 27.5, 28.5, 29. This way you will find the best one "for you".

Happy bow shopping! Let us know how they shake out.

Last edited:

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did exactly what I said above. I shot every bow scheels had in a 28", #70. I used to like the way Mathews fit in my hand, but after shooting all of them, I really like Hoyt. Specifically the Hoyt nitrum turbo and carbon spyder. I couldn't make the carbon spyder feel $500 better. So I decided the Nitrum was my bow. I shot the 27.5, 28, 28.5 and finally settled on the 29" version. It is really an awesome bow and helped me to a 155" whitetail in Iowa a couple months later and a buck in the badlands 5 days after my Iowa deer. If you like speed bows, check out the Hoyt turbo cams offerings.

If if you live close to Bismarck and can shoot a 29" draw then get ahold of me and give mine a test drive.

- - - Updated - - -

I see your from Glenfield, so maybe a test ride won't work, but if a trip to Bismarck works for you talk to Zack Michelson at scheels. I'm not sure I spelled his name right, but he is incredibly sharp and does a good job. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

andyt0411

Founding Member
Founding Member
who handles elite? prime? xpedition?

Little Missouri Archery (Jacob - 6907744) in Dickinson/Manning deals Xpedition and will have elite and obsession this year also. Basically it is set up by appointment as they just deal out of their shops around their full time jobs. Xcentrics are an awesome bow if you are looking for a max performance dual cam setup, if you are looking for a smoother drawing bow with a rock solid back wall, the new xception is about as good of a solo cam as you will find from any brand.

- - - Updated - - -

I second that Zach Mikkelsen referenceThumbs Up. Great guy and has been working on bows for quite awhile now.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like others have said try and shoot as many as you can, don't let a couple folks on a forum tell you whats best for you.
But with that being said I shoot allot of bow "like almost every day since I have a 20 yd range in my basement", and its crazy how well mannered they are getting these speed bows now days.
Myself I'd never buy a brand new bow but that's just me. Well take that back, my Chill R is brand new. Bought it from a guy that
hadn't even shot or set it up for $430. :;:rockit

Chill R.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84