Buying new boat

wfginsptr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am buying my first and probably my last boat in my lifetime. Going to order today, my question is to all you that have done so is it better to get all the options such as trolling motor, fish finder/GPS, rod holders and others through the dealer or get them on my own afterwards. if you have any other advice I would greatly appreciate your comments. Thanks in advance for any advice.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
How handy are you regarding rigging them yourself? None of it his hard IMO but it can be time consuming. Buy yourself a bunch of double-stick tape and mock up things. Then sit where you think you're going to fish and see how your mock-up fits your needs.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
In some cases the dealer can get things at a cheaper price than you can. I would look at what you want to have, and what you need to have. Get all the need to haves, and at least half of the want to haves, and you will love it. Buy once, cry once!

- - - Updated - - -

What boat are you ordering that would make it your first and last?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make a list, price it out, research install times and figure $75-$100/hr in the dealership, compare/contrast that with your own wiring rigging skills and get a rough idea how long you think it'll take you. Next, ask the dealer what it'd all cost rigged and you'll have an idea whether you want to do it yourself or not.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
depends greatly on skill/experience of the rigger IMO

nothing quite as sad as a botched/hacked install

or elements of the install that aren't "forward-looking" to other things you have planned so that they box you in. for example they install something on the transom in the exact spot where a Talon anchor or some such would need to go in two years when you decide they are cat's meow. but what they installed wasn't position-sensitive at all - so they could have installed it on the other side or some such where it wouldn't have been in the way

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I'd probably get the tiller, trolling motor, and electronics thru the dealer. They generally have great pricing on these add-ons. Most of the other extras are easy to install.

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd double check the electronics pricing there are some really good deals out there this time of year.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any issues with boat warranty coverage if a guy starts drilling holes here and there by himself versus a dealer?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Having them install the equipment also puts them on the hook for any goof ups. Something doesn't work right, of breaks, they are the ones fixing it.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like rigging my own boat. It gets done the way I want it to be rather than saying "why did that dipsh** install it that way?". That said, I am confident I can do the install. If you are particular about your stuff and have some skill, do it yourself. If you just go with the flow and aren't confident in installation, have a ham fisted dealer do it.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like rigging my own boat. It gets done the way I want it to be rather than saying "why did that dipsh** install it that way?". That said, I am confident I can do the install. If you are particular about your stuff and have some skill, do it yourself. If you just go with the flow and aren't confident in installation, have ham fisted dealer do it.

any dealer worth its salt will have the you do a walk thru with the tech doing the install and you can tell them (and mark the locations) where you want everything.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
any dealer worth its salt will have the you do a walk thru with the tech doing the install and you can tell them (and mark the locations) where you want everything.

You are right. Some dealers will take the time. That said, I have seen plenty of dealer installs and scratched my head. A lot of the time it is "slap that sh** on this pig and get it out the door so we can sell another one", it seems.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like rigging my own boat. It gets done the way I want it to be rather than saying "why did that dipsh** install it that way?". That said, I am confident I can do the install. If you are particular about your stuff and have some skill, do it yourself. If you just go with the flow and aren't confident in installation, have a ham fisted dealer do it.

haha, ham fisted.

I like pretending I am important and telling people what to do, makes me feel neat when I say put my locator over there, and I want this over there.

Can I go to a buffet and load up my own plate? of course, but I prefer to sit and let the cute girl serve my dinner to me....haha, I am ham fisted.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am buying my first and probably my last boat in my lifetime. Going to order today, my question is to all you that have done so is it better to get all the options such as trolling motor, fish finder/GPS, rod holders and others through the dealer or get them on my own afterwards. if you have any other advice I would greatly appreciate your comments. Thanks in advance for any advice.

When I bought my new boat, the dealer told me if I buy the options from them, they would rig it for free. Ask the dealer about this as I think it's fairly common. If so, have them rig the big items that you know where they go on the boat. (can't miss spots) The pricing on the options was decent at the dealer when your spending that kind of money on a new boat. Then spend some time in the boat so you know where to install some of the other goodies. I once spent a long cold spring sitting in my previous boat and rigging it up. :;:thumbsup I was ready to hit the water when finished.

Fish On !

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i normally install my own, but had a buddy tell me the dealership extended the 5 year motor warranty to all dealer installed accessories... THAT is a deal MAKER imho...

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any issues with boat warranty coverage if a guy starts drilling holes here and there by himself versus a dealer?

There is if you buy a Crestliner. If you buy a Crestliner, keep it in the garage, uncovered all but the days you fish, but install a transducer board that is well below the wood AND well below the level of the automatic bilge, when the transom rots out in less than 7 seasons, the 1st thing they'll blame it on is your dealer not sealing the motor mounting holes, even if the motor was pre-rigged from the factory. The 2nd thing they'll blame the rotten transom on is the holes for the transducer mounting board and the EZ Pump.

Fugg everything Brunswick.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is if you buy a Crestliner. If you buy a Crestliner, keep it in the garage, uncovered all but the days you fish, but install a transducer board that is well below the wood AND well below the level of the automatic bilge, when the transom rots out in less than 7 seasons, the 1st thing they'll blame it on is your dealer not sealing the motor mounting holes, even if the motor was pre-rigged from the factory. The 2nd thing they'll blame the rotten transom on is the holes for the transducer mounting board and the EZ Pump.

Fugg everything Brunswick.

16. It took 16 posts before he got to the transom. Who won the pool? ;-)

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lund overrated overpriced

- - - Updated - - -

I thought I would add to the brunswick

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126