Break out the long rods!!

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well with our lovely weather and a forecast of 49* for Saturday, it might be a day to break out the long rods and fish from the safety of the shoreline. Was thinking of fishing around Hesket, the trailrace or maybe do some bassin' at Nelson. Anyone know if any parts of the river are open to fish from the shoreline?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't fished nelson in a long time. Which is sad because I grew up mere miles from it.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know that there would be much around the Heskett Plant honey hole. Don't the vast majority of eyes migrate south to deeper water over the winter months?

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
tailrace sucked last weekend, other than a rogue big pike, I jigged all day around the wingwalls without so much as a questionable nibble.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't fished nelson in a long time. Which is sad because I grew up mere miles from it.

That's too bad. I was crushing the large mouth there last spring. 40-50 bass per day. Biggest was 4-10, and I lost one that was definitely over 6.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nelson in the spring can be a BLAST!! Largemouth and crappie mix is a hoot.

I would GUESS that the Heskett is open, but a dead sea right now. Could be a surprise though. My last fish from there was in December, 25", and caught on a dirtymike.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
How big are the crappie in nelson?

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last year I caught some up to 14". There are some good size crappie's in there, and if you can find the schools of them, you can catch em every cast for hours. Just not sure I would trust eating a fish out of that lake. Something about water used to cool a power plant doesn't sound like it would make for a tasty treat.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would GUESS that the Heskett is open, but a dead sea right now. Could be a surprise though. My last fish from there was in December, 25", and caught on a dirtymike.

Would that be a 25" carp sucker?

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I work at minnkota by nelson lake. that water in the lake is very clean. the only issue with it is that is warm all year long making it easy for bacteria to form. just think of it kind of like a lake down south that never freezes and is warm/hot all year. although I have never ate fish out of it but have talked to people that have been for many years. all they do is have a cooler of ice and throw the fish in there after catching to "firm" the meat up a bit.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I work at minnkota by nelson lake. that water in the lake is very clean. the only issue with it is that is warm all year long making it easy for bacteria to form. just think of it kind of like a lake down south that never freezes and is warm/hot all year. although I have never ate fish out of it but have talked to people that have been for many years. all they do is have a cooler of ice and throw the fish in there after catching to "firm" the meat up a bit.

15hbs7l.jpg

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would that be a 25" carp sucker?

I'm told a river carp sucker, or at least that's what the Ahab said.

And yes, MSA, the crappie can be good sized, and at times, VERY plentiful. Got 5 in 6 casts at one point last year.

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was over at Heskett last Saturday. It is open. Didn't get a bite, but was only there for a bit to scratch the itch.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm having visions of pulling cranks on the river soon, and not parked in from of my vex waiting for a red mark. Too bad. I really want to do some more hard water fishing.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well with our lovely weather and a forecast of 49* for Saturday, it might be a day to break out the long rods and fish from the safety of the shoreline. Was thinking of fishing around Hesket, the trailrace or maybe do some bassin' at Nelson. Anyone know if any parts of the river are open to fish from the shoreline?

Ekroth (sp?) bottoms ??

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nelson lake is a good spot as long as no runoff cooling the water down and they don't let water out to prepare for the runoff. Eat fish out of there HELL NO when that plant opened there was a lot of stuff that was put in that water before they start to regulate water quality. When I started to fish it we would go to the main gate and they would let us in we would drive down the canal and fish the pool.. Good times.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only thing missing is the top of a truck cab behind the depth finder and a ball on an antenna.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77