Winter Walleyes

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Having a tough time finding the fish this year. None of my "go-to" spots are producing. What do you guys look for when targeting Walleyes through the ice? All factors consider...time of day, depth, structure, cover, type of bottom, etc.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go earlier in the year ---- or later in the year. The dog days of winter can be tough. Time of day dust or dawn the rest depends on what lake your going to.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's been slow the last couple weeks for me. Before that I was looking for weed lines and having decent results in 10 to 12 fow. Other than that, my " hotspot" from last year has only been producing dink walleyes and shit tons of tiny perch.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been having the same problem in my area on my go to lake. But there is about 20 feet of visibility in the lake right now and that's the problem. Only have about to 20 minute window at dusk and dawn for a good bite.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I typically always have a better bite at sundown for winter walleye. Depth is the though part. I've caught limits anywhere between 8' to 40' this year depending on body of water. It's all trial and error. I've found the last few years ive done pretty well at the same spots, same depths, same times of year. I honestly think the biggest thing is staying away from crowds. Once the ice castle army moves in. It's time to move out.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The closer to midday the deeper I try to be. When we get into the last couple hours before sundown I try to move over to the closest steep break line between the deep basin and the shallow flat the eyes will be heading for. If its warm enough to be outside to fish without the house I will predrill a bunch of holes starting deep and ending in only a few feet. This way I have the ability to follow the fish as they transition from deep to shallow without disturbing the fish. The morning plays out about the same way just in reverse and just a bit faster since the morning bite tends to be only about half as long as the evening.

But like the others have said we are in the worst part of winter for fishing and the fishing has sucked lately!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74