NDGF to give out free tags for auction.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.grandforksherald.com/out...lawmakers-set-sights-special-hunting-licenses

BISMARCK – The days of North Dakota lawmakers introducing bills on behalf of groups wanting to raffle or auction off prized hunting licenses may be numbered.

A legislative committee on Thursday directed staff to start drafting rules requiring that such requests be submitted to the state Game and Fish Department, which would then decide whether to recommend them to the Legislature.
“We’re probably looking to change the order of how things are brought forward,” said Rep. Kenton Onstad, D-Parshall, who chairs the interim Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee.
Seven groups will receive one license each for raffle or auction this year, including a bill approved last year allowing the raffle of an elk license to support Annie’s House at Bottineau Winter Park, an adaptive ski facility for disabled children and young adults.
The other groups include the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Mule Deer Foundation and the North Dakota Hunter Educators Association, which made $11,429 raffling off a pronghorn license last year.
Separate laws earmark up to 10 deer licenses for wounded military veterans and up to 13 various game licenses for terminally ill children.
Onstad and other committee members said it makes more sense for raffle and auction requests to start at the Game and Fish Department, where they can be evaluated based on field expertise, scientific data and the department’s population surveys.
Deputy Director Scott Peterson agreed.
“The issue is that it becomes very difficult when an organization comes to the Legislature and asks for a … high-value tag,” he said. “And it’s a very difficult task to stand there and try to make a judgment decision on who’s worthy and who’s not, because they’re all good causes.”
Among other rules, department officials would like to see requirements that organizations be based in North Dakota and that a percentage of the proceeds be returned to the department or dedicated to a conservation project, Peterson said.
The only raffle or auction that currently benefits the department directly is the single-license bighorn sheep auction by the Foundation for North American Wild Sheep, which raised $70,000 in 2014, 90 percent of which went to the department, Peterson said. The department canceled the 2015 bighorn season due to low numbers after a die-off caused by pneumonia.
Some other groups provide indirect benefits to Game and Fish through partnerships and habitat projects, he said.
Peterson said lawmakers will have to decide whether licenses already designated for specific groups should be grandfathered in. One committee member floated the idea of allowing different groups to access those licenses on a rotating basis.
Rep. Bob Hunskor, D-Newburg, noted that once-in-a-lifetime licenses for big-game species are already limited in number, and he predicted that determining how many special licenses to issue for raffle or auction is “going to be something that’s difficult to hammer out.”
“We all know that that elk or moose (license) is a very special one, and the general public wants one, and some of them go a whole lifetime without getting one,” he said.
Peterson asked for guidance from lawmakers.
“I can see that our constituents would put a lot of pressure on us not to allocate any more of those” special licenses, he said. “The onus is going to be on us instead of you folks.”
N.D. Game and Fish Department special allocation licenses in 2015

• 1 spring turkey license to National Wild Turkey Federation for auction or raffle
  • 1 bighorn sheep license to Foundation for North American Wild Sheep auction
  • 1 moose to Wildlife Enforcement Museum raffle
  • 1 elk to Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation raffle
  • 1 mule deer to Mule Deer Foundation raffle
  • 1 pronghorn to ND Hunter Educators Association raffle
  • Up to 4 “any deer” and 6 “any whitetail” licenses to Injured Military Wildlife Project
  • 1 moose, 1 elk, up to 7 deer, up to 2 pronghorn and up to 2 spring turkeys to terminally ill children
  • 1 elk license to Annie’s House at Bottineau Winter Park (for 2016 only)
  • Limited number of “any deer” permits within boundaries of Camp Grafton to disabled veterans

- - - Updated - - -

i like it... thoughts?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only issue I have is that I would like to see these tags given to different organizations around the state on a rotating basis. Why does the RMEF always get an elk tag or the NAWS always get the sheep tag. There are NO guarantees that the money raised will be spent in ND for the benefit of the residents of this state. There are lots of quality conservation organizations that could certainly use the revenue.

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
The game and fish should stick with what they do best and just hold a lottery for which organization gets them:D

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
that was my one area too there KDM... if its for charity there are plenty of charities that would be great to give these too on rotating basis, it doesnt even have to be affiliated with a hunting organization as far as im concerned.. as long as its going to a good cause why not, its an easy way to make some quick money for an organization, i support RMEF and other foundations and believe they are a much needed cause but i think they can raise money in other ways other than a free tag to NDGF

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only issue I have is that I would like to see these tags given to different organizations around the state on a rotating basis. Why does the RMEF always get an elk tag or the NAWS always get the sheep tag. There are NO guarantees that the money raised will be spent in ND for the benefit of the residents of this state. There are lots of quality conservation organizations that could certainly use the revenue.

KDM can't you read?!?!? The article says that NAWS donates 90% of the procedes to the game and fish. I don't know where the RMEF spends the money but I don't understand why you consistently speak out negative things about conservation organizations?

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM can't you read?!?!? The article says that NAWS donates 90% of the procedes to the game and fish. I don't know where the RMEF spends the money but I don't understand why you consistently speak out negative things about conservation organizations?

I agree with KDM that 90% back to the game and fish was last year, it is not guaranteed to go back to ND every year. I know they probably wouldn't go for as much, but is there local ND chapters for RMEF and NAWS where the money for the auctions would be sure to stay for conservation and habitat of animals in ND.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
if they auction or raffle tags i have no problem with it if the proceeds go towards habitat, etc for that species. (RMEF/ Mule deer) etc.. The Annies house elk tag is just plain bullshizzz.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member

I can read FightingSioux, CAN YOU?? Didn't I say "There are lots of quality conservation organizations that could certainly use the revenue." in the last sentence of my post???? How is that speaking out negative things about conservation organizations?? While I'm grateful to the NAWS for their donation, there are organizations in ND that would use 100% of the money raised to benefit ND and there are no guarantees that donation will continue. I'm for conserving and promoting opportunities for NORTH DAKOTA sportsmen and have said so on numerous occasions. I've done quite a bit of research on many many conservation organizations and have found that those having national levels are the ones that WASTE the most money on "administrative" activities and by contrast the smallest local organizations waste the least. I want my money to be used to benefit myself and my state and I'm not going to apologize for it.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member

Do u ever have anything positive to say. Everytime u post a comment it seams like u are bitching about something or someone. Look at everyone of your post regarding anything NDSU. Can't we all just get along:;:howdy

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see conservation organizations vilified everyday for doing good things in the state. I get frustrated when they are lied about. I don't have a lot of money or land but I see everyday how hunting in this state is being jeprodized. It irks me more than anything else than to dream about a future where my grandkids don't have the same hunting opportunities as I have had.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member

And which one of these organizations has access to large donors to keep getting top doller for the sheep tag. This is the first time I've seen it listed that less then 100% came back in a year. The standard has been 100% plus $25,000. To date since 1986 when the auction started the state has made over a million dollars on the tag...most of which has come in the last ten years as tag prices spiked. When it comes to the deer and elk I'm all for spreading them around but for the sheep it needs to be done through the sheep orgs to make sure we can get top doller.

I did find it funny that for the sick kids they have one elk and one moose seven deer and two pronghorns and two turkeys. What's with them being stingy on the turkey tags of all things. Seems an odd one to hold back on unless there just isn't any kids that want one or something?

Timbuk-2

Founding Member
Founding Member
RMEF and NAWS are good organizations and if you look at the money raised vs the money spent in North Dakota, we have come out ahead by a lot. The Warden museum is a joke, they can't even sell the tickets, RMEF sell most of the tickets and the wardens show up to collect their money. The sick kids, Annies House, and the Mule Deer foundation are just easy money for organizations to lazy to raise money on their own and wildlife doesn't gets little if any benefit.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74