How fast does your boat go?

Still_Learnin'

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not trying to start a peter measuring contest here (although I'm sure it will turn into one) but I'm always curious of some of the speeds I see for some of these big walleye rigs with, sometimes, 300 hp engines hanging on the back.

Coming from the bass boat world, that's a big motor! But our boats are also much lighter and built for speed.

So please, list here what your top speed is and what you make/model of boat is along with your motor size. I'd also be interested to see what kind of a ride it is at that speed. If nothing else, this could be some good info for anyone else that's looking to buy a boat. If your boat has a jackplate, that would be good to know as well.

I'll start. Keep in mind that this is a bass boat so while its built for speed, it would end up in about a million pieces if I tried to go across Sak on it's average day at my top speed.

2007 Triton TR21X w/ 225 Merc Pro XS
6" jackplate running the motor 3" below pad.
Top speed was 69 mph.

That motor blew up in October and I have since repowered with a 250. Haven't had a chance to break it in but maybe 73-75 now? I'll know this summer.

Last edited:

89bluefin

Founding Member
Founding Member
89 blue fin spectrum with a 70hp Johnson I can now get this bad boy up to 32mph since I took off the windshield and the other console wooohooo

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
No swinging contest here, as I'd lose that everyday of the week . . .:eek:
2014 Ranger 620vs
250 Verado, bravo prop, no kicker and usually VERY light
64mph routinely. 70+ mph on the trailer though!!

6" atlas jackplate

I'm interested to hear from YarCraft owners, as there are a few youtube clips where those guys are really hauling!!

Last edited:

Still_Learnin'

Founding Member
Founding Member
No swinging contest here, as I'd lose that everyday of the week . . .:eek:
2014 Ranger 620vs
250 Verado, bravo prop, no kicker and usually VERY light
64mph routinely. 70+ mph on the trailer though!!

I'm interested to hear from YarCraft owners, as there are a few youtube clips where those guys are really hauling!!

That's still getting it as far as I'm concerned! That's a 20 foot boat, I'm assuming? And Rangers are notoriously heavy so for a 250 to push it that quick says a lot about the hull. I know of a lot of 20 foot Ranger bass boats with 250 hp engines that aren't going much faster than that.

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really? I guess I've always assumed that a z520c (and I want one REAL bad) was a low 70mph boat. I live on Devils Lake and thought that would be one awesome set-up for fishing this lake.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
225 optimax on the back of my lund ProV, about 52-53mph max. I rarely run wide open. Seems I'm not in a huge hurry

Still_Learnin'

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really? I guess I've always assumed that a z520c (and I want one REAL bad) was a low 70mph boat. I live on Devils Lake and thought that would be one awesome set-up for fishing this lake.

If it's set up correctly, then 72 or so is very attainable. But just like with all bass boats, they are very touchy with how weight is distributed throughout the boat. Still a great boat that certainly doesn't lack for the creature comforts of fishing. I agree that it would be a great boat for devils lake. Unless you're into trolling a bunch. Not sure where you'd mount rod holders.

- - - Updated - - -

225 optimax on the back of my lund ProV, about 52-53mph max. I rarely run wide open. Seems I'm not in a huge hurry

I seem to be in a hurry to not catch fish. Something like "Hey! Lets run wide open to this side of the lake so we can not catch anything!"

At least I got to feel like a bad ass on the way there.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
'12 Yar Craft 186, F200 V-6 Yamaha/9.9 Yamaha kicker, real-world 2 guys full of fuel/livewell/cooler, 52-53 on a little chop, 3 guys and same load is 50-51. It's pretty rare when I'm not running a full tank of fuel and I'm not capable of "paring down" gear so I've got a metric crap-ton of stuff loaded in there all the time. I hit 57 once alone before I loaded it up with stuff.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
2011 Crestliner 17' Superhawk with a 115 merc 4s, and I can hit 40 on a good day at wot. Usually run about 30 to 32. Easier on the fuel gauge. I'm not loaded light, but I have everything one needs to adapt to any fishing situation. Speeds a blast, but after seeing a few boats that hit dead heads last year on sak I'll slow it down a touch.

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wx2100 Yamaha 250 4st t8 kicker. Best I did was 54 mph. Put on a different prop and it is 52 mph with 2 or 3 people. I am at the max on my rpms with my current prop and will be looking to change that this summer.

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
2011 starcraft viper 206 with a 2013 mercury pro xs 225 and mercury 9.9 loaded with 3 guys and livewell get 54mph. Just got the boat last fall and havent played around too much with it.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member

So who is the swinging dick that owns this boat and video. Post your weight of walleyes on the tourney please :;:stirthepot

- - - Updated - - -

When I watched that vid --- the driver must of been going:

its all fun

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member

So who is the swinging dick that owns this boat and video. Post your weight of walleyes on the tourney please :;:stirthepot

Lol, might want to put an emphasis on the pot stirring. Not sure how he did in that tourney, but him and his partner are consistently in the money at the dwc. There is nothing wrong with wanting to go fast!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh oh --- now I pissed off the local tourney boys
;:;boozer

thgr_locals.jpg

That damn wind today ---its creating quite a ruffle

:;:cheers

89bluefin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lol, might want to put an emphasis on the pot stirring. Not sure how he did in that tourney, but him and his partner are consistently in the money at the dwc. There is nothing wrong with wanting to go fast!
notice how he has the window open for that extra mile or two

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

When I watched that vid --- the driver must of been going:

its all fun

What would have been cool is if a bass boat came out of nowhere and flew past him like he was sitting still. Haha

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha ha, that's my partners boat, I threw the video together. I have to admit its damn fun to be able to drive a boat around the big lake like a car with the 350 and the jackplate on it. Full tank of gas and two guys it will touch 67 once in a while, I would think by yourself and not much gas it'd hit 70+ I suppose. Its a 219 so its a big rig and to tell you the truth I had never been in a new Yar since basscat took them over. I will tell you this, I've owned allot of skeeters and fished some tourneys in 620 and 621 rangers. This boats fit and finish is just as good as them "even the rangers" they've come a long ways thats for sure. But when you put the throttle down, well that's when the big Yars really shine in both ride and speed. I'd have one if I won the lottery! ha ha ha
We lucked out and cashed a nice check in that tourney "never fished there before", think we missed 1st by a 1/2 pound or something..good times!
By the way that white yar is owned by a friend of mine and has a white 350 on the back as well. beautiful rig!

050_filtered.jpg

I hear ya with those bass boats! We fish the Columbia and its awesome hearing that hull pop on the chop as they are coming down river that's for sure!

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
No lifejacket? Can't all hell break loose if engine dies suddenly?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 101
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67