Salmo Cranks

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone use these? What are you pro's and con's? Do they run true right out of the box as advertised?

I don't own any of these and am wondering what all the rage is about them. I keep hearing about the hornet. Maybe I just need to stop watching Jason Mitchell Outdoors.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone use these? What are you pro's and con's? Do they run true right out of the box as advertised?

I don't own any of these and am wondering what all the rage is about them. I keep hearing about the hornet. Maybe I just need to stop watching Jason Mitchell Outdoors.
You hear about them on JMO because he's heavily sponsored by them. He'd say the same thing about rapala if they gave him free tackle as well.

As far as the lures go, they do make some quality cranks. I don't own any as I can catch fish with other brands.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
That must be god's word coming from an Ultimate VIP member!!! ;:;bowdown

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never have had much luck on them but haven't given them a lot of use. Mr. Mitchell also talked me into buying a few!

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
hornet-d.jpg
This little bugger earned the nickname "meal ticket" because it kept me and a friend fed for a week in the Boundary Waters. If I'm using cranks (rare occasion) its usually what I reach for.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
The 4.5 rattling hornets put a lot of fish in our boat last year.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
They have a super tight wobble. Ive caught lots of fish on them. If i HAVE to troll they are the first thing i try. I havent had much luck casting with them but thats probably in my head as i tend to reach for shad raps when pitching.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Salmo hornet #5 are walleye magnets. The bigger sizes catch fish too but most of the big ones come on the smaller size. If you troll cranks you need these in your box. Not many other cranks have this profile.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Work very well on Oahe. One of my favorites there. Dalmatian, purple Viking, and chrome blue are wicked good.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a few of them. Have caught some fish but always go for a shad rap first. So they rarely see the water.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love trolling hornets with lead. However, they don't pitch the best (very light, need wind at your back), but run more true than most other crankbaits.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
They're a good crank as are raps, flicker shads, and the thousands of others out there. Each have their own little action and on most days fish will bite all of them. But on some days, if you don't have one you won't be the hero that day. The one thing we've found in trolling with them where they seem to do better than the others is when there's a lot of that stringy algae in the water. This slides down the line and builds up on the connection point to the crank. With most cranks this slows the action down until they eventually don't run straight or just come up to the top. On hornets it seems that when this happens their different shape results in them kind of darting off to the side. And depending on how bad the algae is it will often clean itself off and go right back down and back to work.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
They're a good crank as are raps, flicker shads, and the thousands of others out there. Each have their own little action and on most days fish will bite all of them. But on some days, if you don't have one you won't be the hero that day. The one thing we've found in trolling with them where they seem to do better than the others is when there's a lot of that stringy algae in the water. This slides down the line and builds up on the connection point to the crank. With most cranks this slows the action down until they eventually don't run straight or just come up to the top. On hornets it seems that when this happens their different shape results in them kind of darting off to the side. And depending on how bad the algae is it will often clean itself off and go right back down and back to work.

If you find this happening a lot, put a small bead, or small split shot on your line 12-18" up from the lure. The bead/split will catch all the crap and your crank will stay cleaner. We do this on the river all the time in the spring to keep them from getting crap all over. works like a charm.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are good cranks but there are a lot of good cranks out there. I have a few. For some reason I grab the raps first. Just a confidence thing.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hornets are killer on LC. They grind well and run true. I wish they were cheaper though

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62