Electric or gas stove

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at getting a new cooking stove and oven. Thinking about going to gas over electric fro cooking reasons, we think we would like it better.

Any pros or cons to going this route?

Thanks

Plain Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am looking at new houses and a gas stove would be a huge plus. I tell my wife that there is a reason that you dont see stupid magic light bulb stoves on iron chef. I hate electric. ;:;banghead this is what I feel like using it.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gas over electric every time. Better heat control. When you shut flame off the burner does not stay hot and risk overcooking your food. The only electric can can play in the same ballpark as gas is a magnetic induction

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gas you have more control over the heat. We do some canning and you can't seem to get good heat from an electric stove like you can a gas stove. We used to have a Big Gas Stove that we canned on but somewhere in one of our many moves it didn't make it. We plan on buying a camp chef or something similar soon to do our canning.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
We switched to a propane stove as we don't have gas lines in our rural setting. We have enjoyed the ON and OFF features of gas as well as the ability to cook when the power is off. THAT has come in handy on more than a few occasions. Gas stoves will cost you quite a bit more than an electric, but in our house, it's been worth it.

badland mule

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everything everyone else says plus gas boils water and heats pans faster. They cost a little more money but you can get gas stoves that have electric ovens with convection so you can get the best of both worlds.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everything everyone else says plus gas boils water and heats pans faster. They cost a little more money but you can get gas stoves that have electric ovens with convection so you can get the best of both worlds.

That's what we have and my wife LOVES it. Ours is a LG and it cost about a grand brand new.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a propane stove/oven and like it a lot but since I bought a magnetic induction hot plate I almost never use the cook top anymore. The induction system is awesome. It heats food 2-3 times faster than the gas stove and way faster than a microwave. Where it really shines is heating up big pots of liquid like soup or chili. My propane stove has a turbo burner to heat big pots faster but it still takes more than 15 minutes to get a 8-10 quart pot of liquid boiling. The induction hot plate will get it boiling in half that time. Heat control is excellent and mine even has a timer and beeper. It's one of the best appliances I ever bought. Couple of warnings though, be sure you get a good quality one, not one of those el cheapo's you see in the TV infomercials. Mine is an 1800 watt and cost $70 delivered from Amazon. You also need a good quality set of steel or cast iron cookware. Ceramic and aluminum don't work on it.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mrs johnr went gas about 5 yrs ago, it's the reason I'm so fat...

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a propane stove/oven and like it a lot but since I bought a magnetic induction hot plate I almost never use the cook top anymore. The induction system is awesome. It heats food 2-3 times faster than the gas stove and way faster than a microwave. Where it really shines is heating up big pots of liquid like soup or chili. My propane stove has a turbo burner to heat big pots faster but it still takes more than 15 minutes to get a 8-10 quart pot of liquid boiling. The induction hot plate will get it boiling in half that time. Heat control is excellent and mine even has a timer and beeper. It's one of the best appliances I ever bought. Couple of warnings though, be sure you get a good quality one, not one of those el cheapo's you see in the TV infomercials. Mine is an 1800 watt and cost $70 delivered from Amazon. You also need a good quality set of steel or cast iron cookware. Ceramic and aluminum don't work on it.
What brand do you have? Ive been looking into getting one for awhile

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
It really all depends on what you are using it for, if you are actually going to cook on it and prepare meals, then gas is hands down better. If you are just going to use it to boil water or boxes of noodles then electric will work just fine.

I say this because with grills, microwaves, hot plates, toaster ovens, griddles sometimes one does not use a stove very much. But if you are into cooking and actually prepare your meals and not just add water or milk to a box, then gas is hands down the way to go you will not be disappointed…next thread topic "good cookware" because that will be your next investment

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine is a Duxtop 1800 watt. It had tons of great reviews on Amazon and I agree. Ratings on Amazon for the TV one were nearly all very bad. Duxtop customer service was very good too. The cooling fan went out after about 6 months and I emailed the company about it they said email them a picture of the unit with the cord cut off and they would send me a new unit no charge. Took about ten days and I had a new one. That was over a year ago and no problems since. Nice looking heavy duty unit and I use it nearly every day. What I like is that it doesn't take up much space and I can take it along in the motorhome and it doesn't use up all my counter space and it sure beats the heck out of the little 3 burner propane cooktop in the RV. I was tempted to buy another one for times when I needed two burners but for now I'll just use the propane cooktop when that happens.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Id really like a full induction cooktop. I dont have gas line to my house and Id prefer not to chew through my house propane tank with cooking. induction seems to be the best bet for me when i upgrade. I hate out flat top. temp control is a pain in the @#$

FinsFursFeathers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not familiar with the induction, but definitely gas is the way to go. Not even thinking when we built our house ten years ago, we put in a top of the line smooth top electric. We do canning a wife is a good cook, so we do use it as often as possible. The electric was a pain to regulate temperature(fluctuated). Just installed a LG top of the line gas and love it. It was not just a plug and play thing as we didn't have electricity or a gas line ran to that area of the house. Thanks to having a brother who is an electrician and a buddy who is a heating and cooling guy we had that problem solved in about 3 1/2 hours. As I said we were not thinking and should have been as I have plenty experience with gas from cooking and frying up fish in the fish house. So we replaced a perfectly good stove and put in in the mechanical room. May use it for cooking/warming for holiday gatherings. Seems you never have enough room at those times. HAPPY WIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE!

coyotetrapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gas stove is easier to cook on once you learn how to. I find very easy to regulate heat. With mine I don't have a broiler and miss that, but otherwise I enjoy it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62