Waterfowl Season Setting Process Changing

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
by Doug Leier
Many people who hunt waterfowl are familiar with a season-setting process that in the northern tier of states is finalized only a few weeks before opening day.

Starting this year, however, the process is changing. What was previously a two-cycle regulatory practice – one for waterfowl and one for other migratory birds (doves, cranes) – is now compressed into a single, annual process that in the end will allow state agencies to officially set their migratory bird seasons much earlier than was the case in the past.

The new streamlined process to set migratory game bird hunting seasons and bag limits provides more time for public comment on proposed rules, and gives biologists more time to analyze population and harvest data. (Photo courtesy NDGF)

For instance, duck season frameworks have always relied on information from the USFWS’s spring breeding duck survey. By the time current-year survey data is compiled and analyzed, and season proposals go through the federal rule-making process, states weren’t able to officially set their opening and closing dates and daily bag limits until sometime in mid-August.

Mike Szymanski, Game and Fish Department migratory game bird management supervisor, said the new streamlined process to set migratory game bird hunting seasons and bag limits provides more time for public comment on proposed rules, and gives biologists more time to analyze population and harvest data.

“We will still need to collect information like we’ve always done,” Szymanski said. “It’s just that surveys will be used to set regulations for future situations, a year in advance. It is worth noting, though, that if major red flags are shown in the data, current year information could be used to make emergency changes to regulations.”

In other words, 2015 data is providing the benchmarks for the proposed 2016-17 waterfowl hunting season frameworks, rather than waiting until 2016 surveys are completed. While federal frameworks won’t be finalized until April, that’s still several months earlier than in past years, and that will allow Game and Fish to establish official waterfowl season dates at the same time as other small game seasons, such as pheasant and grouse.

“For the agency, this new process allows us to have the waterfowl regulations set much earlier, which will allow hunters to make hunting plans much earlier than before,” Szymanski said.

Waterfowl officials are able to streamline the previous regulatory process because they have a half-century of data to reference when setting season frameworks. “We have many, many years of data and experience in tracking waterfowl populations and knowing what is going to happen,” he said.

Szymanski said determining the season frameworks well in advance isn’t likely to hurt the resource, as hunting isn’t the major influence on waterfowl populations, but there is leeway to deal with rapidly changing conditions, such as extreme drought, if necessary
All in all, it’s a change in a system that has worked in the past, that is designed to better serve hunters in the future.

Here’s a look at some of the important dates in the process for the coming year:

• April 2016 – Determine fall 2015 mourning dove population size.
  • May 2016 – Determine 2016 waterfowl breeding status. North Dakota Game and Fish will be finalizing 2016 dove and waterfowl regulation selections in April 2016.
  • June (late) 2016 – In very rare occasions, the USFWS could make emergency changes to current year regulations for upcoming (fall 2016) hunting seasons.
  • July (very late) 2016 – Analyze harvest data from 2015 waterfowl seasons.
  • September 2016 – 2016 dove seasons open; flyways recommend 2017 dove and waterfowl regulations.
  • September (late) 2016 – 2016 waterfowl seasons open.
  • October 2016 (late) – USFWS finalizes proposed 2017 dove and waterfowl regulations.
  • April 2017 – States finalize 2017 dove and waterfowl regulations.
For more information, check out the January 2016 issue of North Dakota Outdoors magazine on the Game and Fish website at gf.nd.gov.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
What that says so everyone don't have to read it is. Non residents are going to be able to plan there trips earlier in the year. Be prepared for a shit show come second weekend of the season.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
now if they could only do this for the deer lottery;:;banghead

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
What that says so everyone don't have to read it is. Non residents are going to be able to plan there trips earlier in the year. Be prepared for a shit show come second weekend of the season.

Already have my lawn chair, cooler, and umbrella ready for the boat parade. Some of the floats are quite intriguing.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I live in a waterfowl mecca and i honestly have a tough time hunting waterfowl and bowhunting due to all of MN and Sconi hunters. They hammer every field that has birds all week while i am working. When i go bowhunting i hear continuous shooting. I really really wish they would stay home. They also knock on the door everyday to ask to hunt. It sucks.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
are we running low on waterfowl?

I haven't hunted them since moving west, so close to 15 years, fun to shoot, horrible table fare.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member

I haven't hunted them since moving west, so close to 15 years, fun to shoot, horrible table fare.

you did it wrong. teriyaki duck breast grilled medium rare(at most) tastes just like a nice steak. Im a fairly picky eater too.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is the attraction?--(This was actually my first post ever on a website back in 2002 without response BTW) I'm not a waterfowl guy and am perplexed how these states with so much water wouldn't have good hunting. Is it a flyway issue? If so, would it be possible to create an "exit" through stocking? Is this notion complete dumbass?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I enjoyed your truffle salt, and liked cow tongue, but duck might as well be named suck after you cook it.

I will challenge you to a nut fry, and duck fry, and see which is gone first....haha....nuts.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member

Several pieces to the puzzle John. First a history lesson. Minnesota used to be the Mecca of duck hunting. If you were a duck hunter, MN is where you wanted to live. The current state of MN is complete shit. They screwed up all their wetlands and it's tough to find a duck let alone a limit. So where does the MN duck hunter turn? To the state with no trespass law. SD has a trespass law and you have to apply for a lottery. The other central flyway states start to be a bit of a drive.

Now, waterfowl are nothing like pheasants. They are highly concentrated in comparison. In a given township let's say, there may be 5 huntable fields while a pheasant or two can be found in just about every patch of cattails or fence line. So, competition becomes pretty damn fierce.

In about 2001 if I remember right, the number of NR duck hunters started to rise in jumps. If you graph it, it looks like exponential growth. The numbers have plateaued and holds somewhere around 25 - 30 thousand (I'd have to check the numbers again). Resident numbers are about the same.

To sum up, it is a titty sprinkling mess. The answer is less hunters (both resident and non resident, about 25-40% total) and get hunters to spread out more geographically and over the course of the season. Neither of which will happen because people come here the opener and when the migration hits hard. Both very predictable. The legislature sets the units, which they have no business doing because they have no clue why they even did it.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Several pieces to the puzzle John. First a history lesson. Minnesota used to be the Mecca of duck hunting. If you were a duck hunter, MN is where you wanted to live. The current state of MN is complete shit. They screwed up all their wetlands and it's tough to find a duck let alone a limit. So where does the MN duck hunter turn? To the state with no trespass law. SD has a trespass law and you have to apply for a lottery. The other central flyway states start to be a bit of a drive.

Now, waterfowl are nothing like pheasants. They are highly concentrated in comparison. In a given township let's say, there may be 5 huntable fields while a pheasant or two can be found in just about every patch of cattails or fence line. So, competition becomes pretty damn fierce.

In about 2001 if I remember right, the number of NR duck hunters started to rise in jumps. If you graph it, it looks like exponential growth. The numbers have plateaued and holds somewhere around 25 - 30 thousand (I'd have to check the numbers again). Resident numbers are about the same.

To sum up, it is a titty sprinkling mess. The answer is less hunters (both resident and non resident, about 25-40% total) and get hunters to spread out more geographically and over the course of the season. Neither of which will happen because people come here the opener and when the migration hits hard. Both very predictable. The legislature sets the units, which they have no business doing because they have no clue why they even did it.

I posed the question not JohnR. He gave me a thumb and I gave him a towel.

- - - Updated - - -

So, I'm gathering water is not the problem. Habitat, lead and the EPA comprise the deal. So: EPA/Lead

Last edited:

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
As much as I love shooting geese, I enjoyed just picking a pothole and shooting my 6 ducks and head home. No effing around with getting a field, all the damn decoys, a trailer to hual them, layouts, etc, etc... never had to even wave to another hunter.

As far as table fair goes, I'll put a propely prepared suck up against just about anything. Frying one is not proper, haha. Nuts yes, suck no.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
you did it wrong. teriyaki duck breast grilled medium rare(at most) tastes just like a nice steak. Im a fairly picky eater too.

Teriyaki kabobs medium rare.....I'm drooling just thinking about it. So good.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is the attraction?--(This was actually my first post ever on a website back in 2002 without response BTW) I'm not a waterfowl guy and am perplexed how these states with so much water wouldn't have good hunting. Is it a flyway issue? If so, would it be possible to create an "exit" through stocking? Is this notion complete dumbass?

It is a land access issue. MN has pretty good populations of both ducks and Canada geese. go up to LOW in oct-nov or Fergus or Rochester and you can check it out for yourself. there issue isn't a lack of waterfowl completely it is a lack of opportunity on those waterfowl. maybe we can give them a couple million out of our legacy fund to set up there own plots program and they can stay home so we can go back to enjoying the outdoors in ND again.

On a side note, a buddy of mine(avid waterfowler) told me he must have seen close to a million dark geese from glendive to billings yesterday. anybody hunt Montana for fowl? It peaked my curiostity as a way to get away from the shit-show called ND come next Nov. I'd imagine ft.peck stages a few birds? road trip anyone?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Agreed, if it's got webbed feet, it's evolutionary intention (God's plan for it) is barn-cat food.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is a land access issue. MN has pretty good populations of both ducks and Canada geese. go up to LOW in oct-nov or Fergus or Rochester and you can check it out for yourself. there issue isn't a lack of waterfowl completely it is a lack of opportunity on those waterfowl. maybe we can give them a couple million out of our legacy fund to set up there own plots program and they can stay home so we can go back to enjoying the outdoors in ND again.

On a side note, a buddy of mine(avid waterfowler) told me he must have seen close to a million dark geese from glendive to billings yesterday. anybody hunt Montana for fowl? It peaked my curiostity as a way to get away from the shit-show called ND come next Nov. I'd imagine ft.peck stages a few birds? road trip anyone?

We saw a good amount when we went to Miles City for a hockey tourney 2 weekends ago. Wife n kids witnessed large flocks of ducks and dark geese late January of 15 along the Missouri while they headed to Glasgow for hockey. Go spread some out of state love. I have been considering it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75